Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times

Advertisements

That depends on the intent of the perpetrator...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Ok, but earlier on in this thread I said we were best not to spin it up with extreme examples, and this seems to be happening again.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Ok, but earlier on in this thread I said we were best not to spin it up with extreme examples, and this seems to be happening again.
Bottom line, there is proper conduct which should be maintained in the workplace. There is NO reason for any sexual harrasment of any kind. It doesn't matter whether or not the victim cares. It is not social hour when you go to work.. It is where you go to do a JOB, not play. Keep your hands off my stuff and you can go home intact.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Bottom line, there is proper conduct which should be maintained in the workplace. There is NO reason for any sexual harrasment of any kind. It doesn't matter whether or not the victim cares. It is not social hour when you go to work.. It is where you go to do a JOB, not play. Keep your hands off my stuff and you can go home intact.
I think the issue is what constitutes "sexual harassment" and that way expanded definition has allowed many to become "victims" given the same status as rape victims and sexual perps out of otherwise good people who made a mistake.

This does nothing more than to dilute what a real victim is and desensitize the general public.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This does nothing more than to dilute what a real victim is and desensitize the general public.
The thing is though that no one has the right to say how people should react to sex crimes committed against them. Some rape victims claim they they have fully recovered both physically and emotionally, some never recover and end up living reclusively or taking their own lives. Some people who have been stalked or filmed don't bat an eyelid over it, some never recover. And so it goes for any sex crme. No response is right or wrong. Responses vary based on a multitude of factors, age, life experiences, emotional health before and after, support systems, etc, etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

Seems to be causing too much negativity.
Yes. Just the THOUGHT of someone being sexually assaulted causes negativity for just about every woman on the planet. And for the men who respect women.

If you're surprised this thread is causing negativity you might want to examine your own values. And think about a woman you love being sexually assaulted. Let's say your mom. She's the one who needs to go to the ER for a rape kit. Police. Surgery because she has internal damage. Counseling. Fear. Does that make you think negatively?

How about if someone grabs your genitals and gives them a good twist and tug. You going to think negatively? What happens when you're thrown to the pavement and assaulted?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. Just the THOUGHT of someone being sexually assaulted causes negativity for just about every woman on the planet. And for the men who respect women.

If you're surprised this thread is causing negativity you might want to examine your own values. And think about a woman you love being sexually assaulted. Let's say your mom. She's the one who needs to go to the ER for a rape kit. Police. Surgery because she has internal damage. Counseling. Fear. Does that make you think negatively?
Why only women? Sounds a bit sexist to me.
I think what you've said is part of what generates what the OP was trying to talk about, going to the absolute worst of the worst whenever sexual assault is mentioned even if it was just a comment or a butt slap they are VICTIMS,VICTIMS,VICTIMS.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Sexual assault, rape etc. - is it given too much victim status?

I mean, make someone empowered by feeling like a major victim and then for sure, they will act up to it and take the empowerment, whether they are seriously affected or not.

So how about it - is this issue over dramatised?
This is an ignorant question. The thinking of some people is baffling. We have a society in which something like 20% of women report some sort of sexual violation in poll after poll. Many, many boys and girls are sexually abused, and based on stats most rapists and molesters are never charged for their crimes, yet we empower victims? What nonsense.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Good point.

The OP's father is stared at. And followed. And grabbed. And touched. And raped.

Is the OP going to think, "He might have enjoyed it secretly. No big deal." The OP is welcome to tell us how he'd feel about his father having to answer questions about his rape in the ER. If Dad gets grabbed and fondled against his will is Dad just just a complainer who is playing the victim card to get attention?

Does the OP get to decide whether his Dad is "seriously affected" or not? Or do the rest of us get to tell his Dad, "It's nothing. Get over yourself already." (Which is pretty much what the OP has done in this thread.)

Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Quote:
I think what you've said is part of what generates what the OP was trying to talk about, going to the absolute worst of the worst whenever sexual assault is mentioned even if it was just a comment or a butt slap they are VICTIMS,VICTIMS,VICTIMS.
Try reading the OP, he said Rape. This thread is about rape.

If the op was "Do you think it's harsh for women or men to claim sexual assault if they are being looked at at work?" the discussion would probably be going differently. He brought up rape.

There is no victimless rape, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies