Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
do you know how a flat tax works? if they IE the drug dealers buy anything at all they have to pay the flat tax on the item, if they buy a car, house etc. they have to pay the tax on the item,
That's how it works now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I hear you. Theft! Tyranny! They’ll go Galt! You’ll kill job creation!

I am sick of people who lionize high earners as people who are being punished, when they deserve no special solicitude. My view is that considering the problems of the nation, if you were fortunate to make it to the top bracket, you should be grateful enough to pay a few percentage points more in taxes.

I don’t want to punish the rich, I just want them to pay more taxes. You can favor redistribution without indulging in class hatred; it’s only the defenders of privilege who try to claim otherwise.
Privilege? what privilege? you mean getting ahead is a privilege?

Why should some pay more while some pay nothing? how is the "fair"

ps Galtisim is a real and very powerful force, if you don't believe me look at Detroit, Chicago, Stockton, etc.

You cant not tax a nation into prosperity or fairness. you will always fail.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's how it works now.
that would be the sole source of income for the feds. nothing else. a consumption tax

Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Since a tax is a public expropriation of private wealth, fairness dictates that everyone should pay equally. I reject the notion that someone making very little money gets to live in a free country taking advantage of all the benefits and protections and yet pays no taxes while others who are productive and good shoulder the burden.

All wealth generated by private citizens engaged in productive and lawful activity belongs to the earners primarily and exclusively. Privately earned wealth is not public property, legally, morally, or ethically. Therefore all taxation should obey the spirit of the Equal Protection Clause and hit everyone at the same rate.

Someone who earns very little and seeks exclusion from taxation is just being greedy. Poverty is a personal problem, and no one has the right to victimize others by failing to pay their proportionate share of taxes.

In fact, if you are making $15,000 a year and the tax rate is whatever, say 20%, you should be happy and elated to pay your $3,000 for living in a fantastic country like the USA where you are free to make yourself a better and more valuable person who can earn more money.

You incorrectly assume we all live in a "free country" tat extends benefits and protections to all.

Since the housing market is not free, property owners are not free to sell me a home I can afford to buy, therefore I must pay a premium to rent. I consider this effectively a regulatory tax, as (according to Sowell) government redistributes my housing dollars upward to homeowners.

So I'm already paying a bundle to live in an unfair and unfree country, thank you.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
that would be the sole source of income for the feds. nothing else. a consumption tax

Define consumption.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You incorrectly assume we all live in a "free country" tat extends benefits and protections to all.

Since the housing market is not free, property owners are not free to sell me a home I can afford to buy, therefore I must pay a premium to rent. I consider this effectively a regulatory tax, as (according to Sowell) government redistributes my housing dollars upward to homeowners.

So I'm already paying a bundle to live in an unfair and unfree country, thank you.
No reason to thank me. You're doing me a favor. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

So the problem seems to be that the housing market is not free. I agree. So we need to fix that.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Are you sure about the bolded part? While the Social Security formula is overall progressive, one must keep in mind that the poor have shorter lifespans than the rich. As a result, many of the poor will die before they reach retirement age.
A person who earns $15,000 a year will pay $86,000 in payroll taxes (employer and employee combined) over 44 years of work. When he retires, his annual benefit will be $10,128 or 11.8% of his lifetime payroll taxes.

With cost of living increases - he should get all his money back in 8 years.

A person who earns $110,000 a year will pay $627,000 in payroll taxes over 44 years of work. When he retires, his annual benefit will be $31,260 a year or 5.0% of his lifetime payroll taxes.

With cost of living increases - he should get all his money back in 18 years.

By fact - the upper class as a whole will put more money in than they get back. The middle class as a whole will put more money in than they get back. The lower class as a whole will get back more money than they put in.

Social Security - Just Facts

Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A person who earns $15,000 a year will pay $86,000 in payroll taxes (employer and employee combined) over 44 years of work. When he retires, his annual benefit will be $10,128 or 11.8% of his lifetime payroll taxes. With cost of living increases - he should get all his money back in 8 years.
His life expectancy after retirement is probably somewhere around 6.4 years. [Source: IHME.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A person who earns $110,000 a year will pay $627,000 in payroll taxes over 44 years of work. When he retires, his annual benefit will be $31,260 a year or 5.0% of his lifetime payroll taxes. With cost of living increases - he should get all his money back in 18 years.
His life expectancy is 13.3 years.

Proportions of 0.80 versus 0.73. So you're right, the rich person is getting 0.07 less payback, but will have no concern about not being able to make ends meet during retirement, not to mention getting to live more than twice as long in retirement, should be more than enough solace for that small difference.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
How dare you presume that you can steal the wealth of others, simply because they have it. Redistribution IS class hatred. They are one and the same. Redistribution by its very nature is socialization of one of the basest of human emotions: ENVY.

To identify it is to damn it.

If you want something, earn it. If you are not good enough, then get better, or just live without. But do not presume to expropriate the wealth of another, and think it is anything but moral bankruptcy. Redistribution is an immoral and evil alternative and needs to be properly identified for what it is: Theft.
Yes, we know. The knucklehead right wing thinks that taxes are theft. Of course, as a nation we are far better off modestly taxing the rich more so that the least fortunate don't starve in the streets, like before the New Deal. And who are these less fortunate? They are largely elderly and disabled along with those that work hard but earn little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies