Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,256,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Anyone here that has a parent 70 yo. or older, knows all about the death panels that already exist.

I lived it for 12 years with my 82 yo dad, who was finally killed by a death panel.
My parents never encountered that at all. Tell us about it please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,750,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Which explains why the ethnically diverse United States has had one party control over both the executive and legislative branch for fifty years while comparatively ethnically uniform China has had both its executive and legislative branch change hands frequently over that period of time.

Oh wait, that isn't what happened.

What's the next bit of vacuous nonsense you're going to try to pitch up against the wall?
So you have never heard of divide and conquer? using race or ethical issues to seek and take power via economical/political power?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Quote:
What's the next bit of vacuous nonsense you're going to try to pitch up against the wall?
So you have never heard of divide and conquer? using race or ethical issues to seek and take power via economical/political power?
Ah, that vacuous nonsense.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
Would you, the collective you, please tell me which of my Constitutional Rights has be violates and what Freedoms I have lost due to the evil progressive forces dominating our Government?

I would also appreciate how the Libertarianized Republican Party would restore those Rights and Freedoms.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Ah, that vacuous nonsense.
so it never happens? at all? for any reason? on any subject? its ok not everyone can think...

Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Would you, the collective you, please tell me which of my Constitutional Rights has be violates and what Freedoms I have lost due to the evil progressive forces dominating our Government?

I would also appreciate how the Libertarianized Republican Party would restore those Rights and Freedoms.
the right to keep and bear arms, and having that right not be infringed upon, with nonsense tax stamps, and banning of certain kinds of weapons manufactured after certain day on the calendar.

if they government is not permitted to do something, they cant do it, end of story, read article one section 8...everything else falls under the 10th amendment.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Couples like my spouse and I have lost the right and freedom to save or spend the 23% of our income confiscated by Washington.

We also have to physically go and pay for an office visit to a doctor every 28 days to obtain a small amount of pain medication for a long-term, chronic condition that has already lasted more than 3 years, thanks to "the Drug War." If we want to fix up our house, we have to get "permission" from the local government and pay their excessive fees to oversee and approve every step of the process. If we want to hunt, we have to pay separately for every type of animal, and abide by regulations that take micromanaging to the ultimate extreme: which days of the year, which specify time of day, sex of the animal, type of weapon, number of animals taken, etc. If we want to fish, we have to pay government for permission to do that too. If we want to use our boat out in NH, we have to spend 20 hours in special government classes and pass a rigorous test that ensure nobody not taking the class could pass. If we want to take our camper and explore on our vacation, we will have to stop and pay countless expensive tolls for roads that were built and paid for in the 1950s. If we are caught driving more than the arbitrary speed limit, we can be assessed a huge fine to fatten the coffers of whatever local government we're in.

I could go on, but in effect almost EVERYTHING modern citizens do requires specific government permission and micro-oversight. And this helps absolutely NOBODY other than power-mad bureaucrats who serve ever-growing Big Government's insatiable appetite for money and control.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,951,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
That's all well and good, but the reality is the pursuit of ideological purity and "Constitutional views" is that every candidate now falls prey to the No True Scotsman fallacy. One person's definition of what a Constituional view is is not going to be the same as another's, and what constitutes a libertarian these days could range from an anarcho-capitalist, to a pie in the sky Randian, to the most liberal lib to ever lib a lib.

Libertarians would probably affect more change in the Democratic Party since there's no insistence on ideological purity, and a lot more openness to social freedoms. But for some reason they've thrown their lot in with the party of ultra wealthy and the theocratic. Which makes me think that the basis of many self-professed libertarians is financial greed, lack of empathy and dislike of "the other" instead of actual liberty.
Bingo! I've thought the same thing for a while now. Libertarians belong in the Democratic Party more than the Republican in this day and age. I find it hard to square the strange fascination current American Libertarians have with the neo-confederate fringe of the US South and the Republican Party. If anything, Libertarians should get nauseous at the religious crazies within the Republican Party. But no, it ain't actually about the liberty of a gay man to marry another, or a women to choose what she wants to do with her own body. For the current day Libertarians, all it has to do with is how much money the Fed Govt is taking out of their pay check. They are nothing but rebranded hard right republicans.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,388,440 times
I lost respect for the Libertarian Party when I found it unable to support Ron Paul for president, because he wasn't running under the Libertarian flag.

Libertarians are phony when they put their party before their principles - or the way I see it, more support for the group than the individual.

More support for the group than the objective.

They were unable to recognize Ron Paul as an individual, and Ron Paul was the only individual in the race.

Ron Paul versus Barack Obama - landslide vote-victory for Ron Paul - if not assassinated before inauguration. And, if all the votes were counted legally, which is impossible.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
so it never happens? at all? for any reason? on any subject? its ok not everyone can think...
More vacuous nonsense, all because you cannot come up with a cogent response to what I wrote. I'll give you another shot to save face, by replying to what I wrote with a response to what I actually wrote, instead of some extremist perversion of it, such perversion seeming to be the only way you are capable of arguing against anything, in this thread.

The United States is ethnically diverse. China is comparatively ethnically homogeneous.

Place your reply to these comments here:

China has had one party rule for over a half century. During that time, the United States has had two party rule, with both parties at one time or another holding power in various branches of the government.

Your earlier insinuation that "It's a lot easier to rule with an iron fist when the nation is divided by sectarian and ethnic strife, and reeling from the collapse of a welfare state," was nonsensical and without merit. It seems to be you basically speaking from your own fear that you don't control and lord over the rest of the citizens of the United States, that (basically) you're just one relatively impotent voice in our government, and that the fact that reasonable people disagree with you and that their perspectives prevail over yours quite often scares you so much that you are apparently prompted to engage in such silly rhetoric.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies