U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,703,276 times

Advertisements

Conservatives in Kansas are generally of a nutty brand anyway. That state has been in the news many times for outlawing evolution, the Westboro Baptist Church, killing abortion doctors and so on. The rest of the nation generally accepts the fact that Kansas does not quite reach "the top floor" when it comes to brains.
Now the state has decided to see if it can start Civil War II by passing a law saying that they intend to jail Federal ATF agents who enforce Federal gun laws within the borders of Kansas. They are waiting to make arrest now. I am quite sure the Federal government is scared to death of Kansas. If Kansas really tried, the Federal government would squash that state like a bug. Especially since it live largely off Federal money in the form of defense spending in Wichita and farm subsidies for the rest of the state. So they can forget about it. Ain't gonna ever happen.
But it brings up an interesting question which is, if a state could argue that Federal laws are not enforceable in that state for guns manufatured and sold there, why could not the same argument be made for Marijuana? 2 states have legalized it and others have for medical use ALL of which violates Federal law.
Marijuana actually would have a stronger legal case if you were to plant, harvest and sell it within the borders of one state and reuse the seeds. That is not "interstate commerce" as I see it. Guns on the other hand are made from componets mined and milled from many states such as steel and bullets from lead. Of course I do not expect a conservative to ever argue for Marijuana because Marijuana is a liberal thing. But I would make that argument when it comes to interstate commerce.
Fight brewing in Kansas over gun-control nullification laws
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,816,366 times
Yup, I am surrounded by idiots.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:05 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,050,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Conservatives in Kansas are generally of a nutty brand anyway. That state has been in the news many times for outlawing evolution, the Westboro Baptist Church, killing abortion doctors and so on. The rest of the nation generally accepts the fact that Kansas does not quite reach "the top floor" when it comes to brains.
Now the state has decided to see if it can start Civil War II by passing a law saying that they intend to jail Federal ATF agents who enforce Federal gun laws within the borders of Kansas. They are waiting to make arrest now. I am quite sure the Federal government is scared to death of Kansas. If Kansas really tried, the Federal government would squash that state like a bug. Especially since it live largely off Federal money in the form of defense spending in Wichita and farm subsidies for the rest of the state. So they can forget about it. Ain't gonna ever happen.
But it brings up an interesting question which is, if a state could argue that Federal laws are not enforceable in that state for guns manufatured and sold there, why could not the same argument be made for Marijuana? 2 states have legalized it and others have for medical use ALL of which violates Federal law.
Marijuana actually would have a stronger legal case if you were to plant, harvest and sell it within the borders of one state and reuse the seeds. That is not "interstate commerce" as I see it. Guns on the other hand are made from componets mined and milled from many states such as steel and bullets from lead. Of course I do not expect a conservative to ever argue for Marijuana because Marijuana is a liberal thing. But I would make that argument when it comes to interstate commerce.
Fight brewing in Kansas over gun-control nullification laws
This wouldn't happen to be the Westboro Baptist Church headed by Democrat Fred Phelps would it?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 17,552 times
States rights always supersede the federal government unless the Constitution specifically authorizes the federal government to govern said behavior/issue.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This wouldn't happen to be the Westboro Baptist Church headed by Democrat Fred Phelps would it?
He is a Republican. Has to be because he hates homosexuals so much.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM

79,585 posts, read 37,695,459 times
Quote:
Lots of people express hate for those who think and believe different than they do.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,816,366 times
I am an American first; Kansan second.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,098,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnet View Post
States rights always supersede the federal government unless the Constitution specifically authorizes the federal government to govern said behavior/issue.
See interstate commerce clause.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,050,662 times
Quote:
Quote:
Phelps has run in various Kansas Democratic Party primaries five times, but has never won. These included races for governor ...
Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Does anybody really think Kansas will dare arrest an ATF agent? I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies