Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Briton Geoffrey Portway admits US plot to kill and eat child

"Agents found the basement of Geoffrey Portway's Massachusetts home equipped with a steel cage and a child-sized home-made coffin, in a raid last year."

"During last year's raid, federal agents found a locked door in the basement, which led to a second door that opened into a dungeon lined with sound-deadening material containing a small makeshift coffin with external locking devices.

Nearby were a steel cage with multiple locks, and a steel table top with steel rings at six points, which police believe were intended to restrain victims.

The dungeon was further kitted out with a chair, a television, and what appeared to be cable access to the internet, officers said.

Outside the room detectives found a chest freezer and an upright freezer, along with some disposable scalpels, butchering kits, and castration tools."

From what I understand, this guy faces about 27 years in jail before he will be released back into civilization. Sure, they'll ship him back to the UK after he's done his time, but frankly, would you want this guy as a neighbor, even when he is in his seventies? Would you want this guy as a fellow human being?

I don't. I don't know what to do with a person like this - I doubt this guy can be rehabilitated but since he hasn't actually managed to carry out his plans, he certainly isn't a candidate for the death penalty.

So, what does society do with a "person" such as this? You can't legally execute him, you cannot lock him up forever (there are legal limitations, apparently), and you cannot not really let him re-join society.

At any rate, I am always amazed and disgusted in the face of such depravity, lack of compassion, and a lack of general "goodness."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Is his dungeon for rent?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,593 times
I've already seen this movie.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
From what I understand, this guy faces about 27 years in jail before he will be released back into civilization. Sure, they'll ship him back to the UK after he's done his time, but frankly, would you want this guy as a neighbor, even when he is in his seventies? Would you want this guy as a fellow human being?

I don't. I don't know what to do with a person like this - I doubt this guy can be rehabilitated but since he hasn't actually managed to carry out his plans, he certainly isn't a candidate for the death penalty.
The guy is a monster, but are you advocating that irregardless that the sentence he serves is the punishment for his crimes as decided by the courts....that he should be taken out of society forever by permanent imprisonment or bullet to the brain?

I mean that is personal opinion on vengeance rather then justice. I am not advocating for him, but once a person finishes their punishment enacted by society they have paid for their crime. No matter one person's opinion on that, weather for leniency or for further punishment.

People are not sentenced for life if you feel like they can be rehabilitated based on a few news stories, instead of those who are paid to judge if this person is or not.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
What crime did he commit?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
BBC News - Briton Geoffrey Portway admits US plot to kill and eat child

"Agents found the basement of Geoffrey Portway's Massachusetts home equipped with a steel cage and a child-sized home-made coffin, in a raid last year."

"During last year's raid, federal agents found a locked door in the basement, which led to a second door that opened into a dungeon lined with sound-deadening material containing a small makeshift coffin with external locking devices.

Nearby were a steel cage with multiple locks, and a steel table top with steel rings at six points, which police believe were intended to restrain victims.

The dungeon was further kitted out with a chair, a television, and what appeared to be cable access to the internet, officers said.

Outside the room detectives found a chest freezer and an upright freezer, along with some disposable scalpels, butchering kits, and castration tools."

So, what does society do with a "person" such as this? You can't legally execute him, you cannot lock him up forever (there are legal limitations, apparently), and you cannot not really let him re-join society.

At any rate, I am always amazed and disgusted in the face of such depravity, lack of compassion, and a lack of general "goodness."
I, personally, wouldn't ever want this guy back in civilization. He sounds like a serial killer that got caught before he could make it.

I vote for forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies