Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,711,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It should be. And if companies need more proof of your competence in specific areas you should be able to demonstrate it by passing an exam to get a license or qualification. There is no good reason why anyone should be required to spend 4-10 years after high school, pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, undergo indoctrination, and go into massive debt just to show they are qualified for an entry level job. In the internet age, college is largely a scam. It is a jobs program for the elite and a means of molding the populace into PC conformity.
I like your contrarian angle here (you are asking a good questions, but the bolded betrays your biases). In the era of community college, technical schools, and public education (including online), you can get a strong degree for a good value. The notion that college indoctrinates you is false. Most professors are professional, and the benefits of a higher education last a lifetime, far after you leave college. It changes the context and perspective to which you react to the world, which opens many intellectual doors. I am not saying it is the only way to do it, but it is generally a good one. Another is to travel and live abroad. I would say that my times abroad, being a foreigner learning a new language and looking at how others live their lives was another tremendously eye opening experience that must be experienced to be fully appreciated.

As an analogy. Imagine yourself explaining music to someone who is deaf. They would not appreciate what you are saying, because they have no frame of reference. It is similar with the uneducated.

However, I will grant your point about the changing nature of learning in the internet age. I still think higher education is a great asset, but it is not so cut and dried anymore. Certainly a good discussion.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 05-04-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,710,076 times
Quote:
The notion that college indoctrinates you is false.
I'm not saying colleges are sinister mind control camps, but I personally experienced PC indoctrination in college and I've read of countless examples of this happening.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,904,362 times
Quote:
I'm not saying colleges are sinister mind control camps, but I personally experienced PC indoctrination in college and I've read of countless examples of this happening.
After one has experienced classes with several dozen professors, it is common sense they would have come across some liberal, some conservative, and human nature is such that we recall the group we personally find the most over the top. While we conveniently forget the 90% we found to be focused on teaching, not dogma.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:44 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,141,056 times
Quote:
Good lord! And you made it out safely??? Good man! Good man!

Me, I'm more worried about the tens of millions of children who are forced into spiritual indoctrination of the most ridiculous variety every Sunday across the nation then with young adults who encounter the odd, over-the-top teacher who, at best, makes them reconsider some of their assumptions and, at worst, becomes an annoyance for 50 minutes for four months out of their lives.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
After one has experienced classes with several dozen professors, it is common sense they would have come across some liberal, some conservative, and human nature is such that we recall the group we personally find the most over the top. While we conveniently forget the 90% we found to be focused on teaching, not dogma.
Very true. The strong emotional experiences probably stick in the mind.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Uh, those degrees are still idiotic. Just less idiotic than sitting on your ass watching TV for 4 years.
Ironically, I enjoyed the professors most who had this of delivery. Yogi Berra could not have said it better.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,352,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This is why I roll my eyes at the idiot posts here about "worthless" degrees that should be banned at universities, because I promise you--those liberal arts majors are still finding decent jobs a heck of a lot faster, and making much more money over time, than

someone with a High School Diploma ever will.

A college degree is always a good investment.

thats the problem with absolute statements.
they make you look foolish..

I have a high school diploma.
I also have made over $200k a year for a lot of years.
you should have this conversation with all the Engineers I work for whos hourly rate is less than mine

Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,175,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
thats the problem with absolute statements.
they make you look foolish..

I have a high school diploma.
I also have made over $200k a year for a lot of years.
you should have this conversation with all the Engineers I work for whos hourly rate is less than mine
And you're an exception to the rule. Good for you! For the rest of the world, it doesn't usually work that way, although I will say that owning your own successful company would be one way around not having a degree and still making a comfortable income. Many people--even really intelligent people--don't have what it takes to be a business owner at all, let alone a successful one, so that limits the pool considerable from the start.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Shouldn't my 3.9 high school GPA (top 5% of my class) and 1300+ SAT (the old version where max is 1600) prove I'm not an idiot?
But it's not.

Quote:
It should be. And if companies need more proof of your competence in specific areas you should be able to demonstrate it by passing an exam to get a license or qualification. There is no good reason why anyone should be required to spend 4-10 years after high school, pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, undergo indoctrination, and go into massive debt just to show they are qualified for an entry level job. In the internet age, college is largely a scam. It is a jobs program for the elite and a means of molding the populace into PC conformity.
And - unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,904,362 times
Quote:
More positions require a degree than ever, and despite not following your advice in this post, corporate profits from US operations are at historically high levels. In order to maintain a standard of living, we will simply need to become better educated and trained than ever, as billions more are yearning for the opportunities we take for granted. Competition makes the strong stronger, and the weak weaker. Only a fool dislikes competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies