Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what am I?
Conservative 10 20.00%
Moderate 28 56.00%
Liberal 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times

Advertisements

I don't really consider myself either one, but if I had to put a label on it, I'd say Im a conservative leaning Moderate. I'll tell you a little about where I stand on some of the issues, and then you be the judge....

GOD: I'm an Atheist. I see religion as being a detriment to society. However, that said, I do believe everyone has the right to believe what they want so long as they don't try and influence public policy with those beliefs. Religion shouldn't be anywhere near schools or the public sphere at all for that matter.

GAYS: I don't feel it is my place to judge gay people as being right or wrong in the way they are. I support the gay rights movement and believe that they should be able to be who they are without worrying about being discriminated. If gay people want to partake in the institution of marriage as recognized by the government, then they should be allowed, since the government should not be in the business of promoting the religious definition of marriage.

GUNS: On this issue I am the most conservative. I don't support any gun ban agenda, particularly those that are based on cosmetic features such as the ones we have been discussing in recent months. I support the "concept" of universal background checks, but realize it isn't workable in reality. I agree that people should have the right to carry concealed weapons, but only after undergoing training and safety courses, followed by getting a permit. I believe wholeheartedly in the original intent of the second amendment as did our forefathers, which is, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, is necessary to a free state. { to protect against tyranny, foreign or domestic } Removing guns from society may go a long ways in reducing gun crime, but it is far too late for that with 300,000,000 guns in private hands. I don't support registries or any other gun grabbing schemes by the government.

GOVERNMENT: I have a general dislike for government and am suspicious of everything they do. I believe in a limited gov't that is there only to protect the rights of the people they serve and provide for the defense of the nation against it's enemies.

WEED: By all means, legalize it! The government shouldn't be able to dictate what someone can and cannot put in their body. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it.

ABORTION: I see it as an evil, but perhaps a necessary evil. I don't think the decision to abort a child should be arrived at lightly, but still, it should remain the right of the woman to choose.

IMMIGRATION: I'm all for legal immigration. Our diversity is what makes this country so great. I am dead set against illegal immigration or rewarding those that have broken our laws by giving them amnesty. They are a detriment to our economy. If you are going to come here, you should have to learn english as a prerequisit. If you haven't learned it in a year after moving here, we should ship you bvack where you came from, along with many other requirments relating to our culture.

WELFARE: I don't really support entitlements, but I do realise there are those who actually need help. We should help those that need it, and subject them to mandatory monthly drug testing, making them account for every cent they recieve from the government, and require that they prove they are actively spending their days searching for work.

INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY vs. THE COMMON GOOD: I am all about the liberty and freedom of the individual. Things like smoking bans, seatbelt laws, soda bans, etc. etc. are ignorant.

I know there is no way I could outline my entire political ideology on here without writing a book but these are some of my thoughts and musings on the bigger issues of today. Based on what you read here, where would you place me on the scale between liberal and consevative?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 05-04-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM

92 posts, read 66,928 times
Is there an election coming up and you can't decide on your own? If so maybe don't vote.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
None of the above. I would say you are a Libertarian, though some might argue you're not a "perfect" one. But then, no one's a "perfect" anything.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Abby View Post
Is there an election coming up and you can't decide on your own? If so maybe don't vote.
This.
This is a good example of what is wrong.

Why does it matter if a voter identifies as a liberal or conservative?

The OP certainly has views on individual issues. Isn't that what's important?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I don't really consider myself either one, but if I had to put a label on it, I'd say Im a conservative leaning Moderate. I'll tell you a little about where I stand on some of the issues, and then you be the judge....

GOD: I'm an Atheist. I see religion as being a detriment to society. However, that said, I do believe everyone has the right to believe what they want so long as they don't try and influence public policy with those beliefs. Religion shouldn't be anywhere near schools or the public sphere at all for that matter.

GAYS: I don't feel it is my place to judge gay people as being right or wrong in the way they are. I support the gay rights movement and believe that they should be able to be who they are without worrying about being discriminated. If gay people want to partake in the institution of marriage as recognized by the government, then they should be allowed, since the government should not be in the business of promoting the religious definition of marriage.

GUNS: On this issue I am the most conservative. I don't support any gun ban agenda, particularly those that are based on cosmetic features such as the ones we have been discussing in recent months. I support the "concept" of universal background checks, but realize it isn't workable in reality. I agree that people should have the right to carry concealed weapons, but only after undergoing training and safety courses, followed by getting a permit. I believe wholeheartedly in the original intent of the second amendment as did our forefathers, which is, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, is necessary to a free state. { to protect against tyranny, foreign or domestic } Removing guns from society may go a long ways in reducing gun crime, but it is far too late for that with 300,000,000 guns in private hands. I don't support registries or any other gun grabbing schemes by the government.

GOVERNMENT: I have a general dislike for government and am suspicious of everything they do. I believe in a limited gov't that is there only to protect the rights of the people they serve and provide for the defense of the nation against it's enemies.

WEED: By all means, legalize it! The government shouldn't be able to dictate what someone can and cannot put in their body. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it.

ABORTION: I see it as an evil, but perhaps a necessary evil. I don't think the decision to abort a child should be arrived at lightly, but still, it should remain the right of the woman to choose.

IMMIGRATION: I'm all for legal immigration. Our diversity is what makes this country so great. I am dead set against illegal immigration or rewarding those that have broken our laws by giving them amnesty. They are a detriment to our economy. If you are going to come here, you should have to learn english as a prerequisit. If you haven't learned it in a year after moving here, we should ship you bvack where you came from, along with many other requirments relating to our culture.

WELFARE: I don't really support entitlements, but I do realise there are those who actually need help. We should help those that need it, and subject them to mandatory monthly drug testing, making them account for every cent they recieve from the government, and require that they prove they are actively spending their days searching for work.

INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY vs. THE COMMON GOOD: I am all about the liberty and freedom of the individual. Things like smoking bans, seatbelt laws, soda bans, etc. etc. are ignorant.

I know there is no way I could outline my entire political ideology on here without writing a book but these are some of my thoughts and musings on the bigger issues of today. Based on what you read here, where would you place me on the scale between liberal and consevative?
Conservative moderate? Sorry, there ain't none of those running for public office anymore, let alone walking around living breathing voters.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Left leaning Libertarian and as one that leans right we have plenty of common ground.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Abby View Post
I don't vote based on party, I vote based on who I identify with the most.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Left leaning Libertarian and as one that leans right we have plenty of common ground.
Say it isn't so!!!

Haha

Old 05-04-2013, 01:44 PM

92 posts, read 66,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I don't vote based on party, I vote based on who I identify with the most.
Then do that.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Something I've discovered on this forum is that neither the left, nor the right likes my opinions very much, and that tells me on on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies