Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

Well I've been doing much research lately on a business that I'm considering creating, and to remain discreet it involves the CROWD FUNDING Act and the SEC, well bureaucracy and over-regulation is preventing me from going any further in my endeavors. I'm waiting on a response from the SEC now so hopefully by the end of this year comes, all the red-tape from this non-sense will be gone. It's really frustrating though I must admit, I'm considering emailing my congressmen just to see what's going on with everything and why there is so much red tape on the CROWD FUNDING Act. In fact, the CROWD FUNDING act should've never even been proposed, people should be able to invest how they'd like to and that's why I want to create my business.

So I guess this is a controversy, have any of you also been caught up in bureaucracy, over-regulation, red tape, or etc? Its a terrible feeling, especially considering that you don't want anyone else to take your business idea and run with it once the red tape is finally cut or even worse, you lose the motivation to create the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Actually multiple times, in multiple states, for one reason alone: to fix or improve my house. Using primarily family members with decades of experience in carpentry, general contracting, plumbing, electricity, engineering, etc., everything we did was far above what "Code" required when safety or quality of workmanship was concerned. The amount of time, money, and effort wasted getting multiple "permits" from local government (like I should need their permission to work on my own house), inspections at every step of the process, pointless and expensive requirements (over $3,000 for a survey when I wasn't doing anything near the setbacks or property line), never ceases to amaze me.

And yet with all these endless regulations, somehow every house I've ever purchased has had some major construction defects that I needed to remedy--such as in Florida, when a Cat. 3 hurricane did major damage to the roof. Had the roof really been constructed "according to Code" (which supposedly it was), it would not have needed any repair.

Of course, when I worked for a local government in the Department of Planning, Zoning, and Building, I remember very well attending a meeting where the head of my Department spoke to a group of building contractors. "We don't serve the homeowner," she said. "We serve you." I thought about this and she was absolutely right. The entire system was set up to ensure that homeowners hired "licensed contractors," who then could place liens on the property unless the homeowner paid exactly what the contractor demanded--regardless of whether that contractor had paid the subcontractors he hired to actually do the job (who then ALSO could place liens on the property), and even if the resulting job was so substandard that others had to be hired to fix it. The unfairness of the whole system didn't slap me in the face until an extremely unscrupulous pool contractor--but properly "licensed"--ran off with the 50% deposit for my pool without paying the subcontractors who had started the job. Not only did I get no satisfaction from my official complaint, but the contractor never even lost his license (despite an entire local Department called "Contractor's Certification"), and was actually able to get the local government to harrass me as I scrambled to hire subcontractors to finish my pool.

I am always amazed how Government regulation always manages to increase the costs of doing ANYTHING, while not actually solving ANY of the problems that it is supposed to.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
There is no "CROWD FUNDING Act". You're referring to the JOBS Startup Act. This is not a surprise. Everyone knew the SEC was going to miss the deadline. Everyone has been planning accordingly.

We should just be happy that we no longer have to file a million documents to crowd fund and no longer require registered investors. This is a freaking godsend given how tight the SEC has been in the past 2 decades.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Actually multiple times, in multiple states, for one reason alone: to fix or improve my house. Using primarily family members with decades of experience in carpentry, general contracting, plumbing, electricity, engineering, etc., everything we did was far above what "Code" required when safety or quality of workmanship was concerned. The amount of time, money, and effort wasted getting multiple "permits" from local government (like I should need their permission to work on my own house), inspections at every step of the process, pointless and expensive requirements (over $3,000 for a survey when I wasn't doing anything near the setbacks or property line), never ceases to amaze me.

And yet with all these endless regulations, somehow every house I've ever purchased has had some major construction defects that I needed to remedy--such as in Florida, when a Cat. 3 hurricane did major damage to the roof. Had the roof really been constructed "according to Code" (which supposedly it was), it would not have needed any repair.

Of course, when I worked for a local government in the Department of Planning, Zoning, and Building, I remember very well attending a meeting where the head of my Department spoke to a group of building contractors. "We don't serve the homeowner," she said. "We serve you." I thought about this and she was absolutely right. The entire system was set up to ensure that homeowners hired "licensed contractors," who then could place liens on the property unless the homeowner paid exactly what the contractor demanded--regardless of whether that contractor had paid the subcontractors he hired to actually do the job (who then ALSO could place liens on the property), and even if the resulting job was so substandard that others had to be hired to fix it. The unfairness of the whole system didn't slap me in the face until an extremely unscrupulous pool contractor--but properly "licensed"--ran off with the 50% deposit for my pool without paying the subcontractors who had started the job. Not only did I get no satisfaction from my official complaint, but the contractor never even lost his license (despite an entire local Department called "Contractor's Certification"), and was actually able to get the local government to harrass me as I scrambled to hire subcontractors to finish my pool.

I am always amazed how Government regulation always manages to increase the costs of doing ANYTHING, while not actually solving ANY of the problems that it is supposed to.
It is amazing how this works. Funny. They work for the contractors yet are paid by homeowner taxes.

In 2007, there were 50+ homes in my town that lost foundations due to flooding. During the first month, it was a Saturday morning and we needed an inspection on the footers before they could continue building the three walls of foundation. I called the town manager and was told there were no inspectors on the weekends. Are you kidding me? None in the wake of a declared disaster in a disaster area?

Luckily I am friends with the mayor. I called him. We just took pictures and moved on with the construction.

Regulations on homeowner repairs are ridiculous.

I couldn't imagine dealing with regs for starting a business.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 AM

287 posts, read 185,196 times
And yet, in the finance industry, it was deregulation which caused the Recession of 2008 - giving banks and Wall Street - in cahots with their DC buddies - basically Wild West reign to make the laws as they go. It's always the little man like us who gets screwed over by over-regulation, or lack of regulation on those who want our money.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I know several small farmers that sell beef. They cannot package and sell at Farmer Markets because they have to jump through the same very expensive hoops as the big producers like Cargill. And for the small producer that is just not attainable.

So they've gone to direct marketing. Customers buy portions of the "live cow" and now they own a piece of the cow.
When the cow goes to freezer camp all the "owners" submit their cut sheets to the butcher and then go pick up their beef directly from the butcher.

You still go through the USDA butcher and inspection but you don't have the costly red tape regulations it requires to sell processed meat to "someone else".

Old 05-05-2013, 06:55 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianPetersonRules View Post
And yet, in the finance industry, it was deregulation which caused the Recession of 2008 - giving banks and Wall Street - in cahots with their DC buddies - basically Wild West reign to make the laws as they go. It's always the little man like us who gets screwed over by over-regulation, or lack of regulation on those who want our money.
Ther were 125 different government agencies that regulated banks/Wall Street the day the economy crashed.

Wanna tell us again about this deregulation? lols.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
It is amazing how this works. Funny. They work for the contractors yet are paid by homeowner taxes.

In 2007, there were 50+ homes in my town that lost foundations due to flooding. During the first month, it was a Saturday morning and we needed an inspection on the footers before they could continue building the three walls of foundation. I called the town manager and was told there were no inspectors on the weekends. Are you kidding me? None in the wake of a declared disaster in a disaster area?

Luckily I am friends with the mayor. I called him. We just took pictures and moved on with the construction.

Regulations on homeowner repairs are ridiculous.

I couldn't imagine dealing with regs for starting a business.
Typical. What you forgot, and what your bubby the Mayor didn't remind you of, is that the inspections department is not a atonomous agency. Their budget is fixed for a 9-5 m-f work schedule.

So if you want increased work schedule, you and your neighbors can fund that through an emergency tax hike or by asking the Federal Government for relief money.

But being buds with the Mayor got YOU around the hump.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianPetersonRules View Post
What deregulation are you talking about? It makes a great talking point, but there isnt any truth behind it.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Typical. What you forgot, and what your bubby the Mayor didn't remind you of, is that the inspections department is not a atonomous agency. Their budget is fixed for a 9-5 m-f work schedule.

So if you want increased work schedule, you and your neighbors can fund that through an emergency tax hike or by asking the Federal Government for relief money.

But being buds with the Mayor got YOU around the hump.
Um, you already pay a fee for the inspections department to come out. Its called a permit application.

I had to pay a $150 fee last year to dump SOIL in my yard.. Yep, thats correct, to pull the dump trucks up and dump dirt, on top of dirt..

Had to buy a permit to lay thousands of dollars worth of piping in my yard, to divert water away from the street, because of poor city engineering.

I've got no sympathy for their limited work hours.. They get paid to do a JOB period and when I have to fix their screwups and my cost, whining to me about their hours isnt something I care to hear. How about MY hours involved in doing the work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies