Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But why? We keep being told that Hispanics are assimilating into our society. So why would we need to learn Spanish when we would have our common national language of English to communicate in? ESL teachers would be the only exception. Most Hispanic-Americans that I know are bi-lingual. Hispanics aren't the only immigrants in this country. Should we also learn Chinese, Greek, Italian, German, etc. to accomodate all immigrants? Please..... Since when does the host country have to learn the language of immigrants? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
You do realize you don't "need" to learn Spanish? If you speak English in America you are gonna be just fine.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I definitely want to learn Spanish, with the way this country is going, I think a nice little place in Costa Rica might be a more agreeable location to retire to.

Great suggestion OP, I am in total agreement with you, other than not just teaching children Spanish, but adults opting to do it also. Has anyone ever used Rosetta Stone?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
They already know all the Spanish they'll ever need!!!!
limpiar el baño y cortar el césped

Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
French is taught in all schools and universities in the U.S.

Spanish will most likely die out within next few decades just like the German due to second and third generation not being able to speak Spanish. Only 12% of US population speak Spanish anyway.
Why Spanish? English is the language of money and so on. Except in most of LatAm and Spain; Spanish isn't important.

Too; WHICH "Spanish"? The good kind from Spain or Spanglish with its rough sound?

Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
But why? We keep being told that Hispanics are assimilating into our society. So why would we need to learn Spanish when we would have our common national language of English to communicate in? ESL teachers would be the only exception. Most Hispanic-Americans that I know are bi-lingual. Hispanics aren't the only immigrants in this country. Should we also learn Chinese, Greek, Italian, German, etc. to accomodate all immigrants? Please..... Since when does the host country have to learn the language of immigrants? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Why? Because the fields I mentioned are more likely to deal with uneducated or illegal immigrants. Nurses and cops can't always get a translator if there is an emergency. You can't become a manager in fast food if your crew doesn't speak English and it would be hard to get a construction job if the crew only knows Spanish. Every place is different, but the fields I mentioned are fields that it would come in handy.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
[Politically Incorrect Flag On]
Bilingualism is so anti-American, that it boggles the mind that public funds support it.

A nation of people who share a common language and customs, can better cooperate in the defense of person or property from attack.

A nation of people who cannot communicate and have different customs, will not cooperate.

For the predators, the latter is preferred over the former. A nation divided into unintelligible factions is doomed to collapse.

One language = one nation united.

------------------------

Reference :
Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The place where I was born and spent my childhood gave direction to all my future struggles. In Bialystok the inhabitants were divided into four distinct elements: Russians, Poles, Germans and Jews; each of these spoke their own language and looked on all the others as enemies.
L. L. Zamenhof, in a letter to N. Borovko, ca. 1895

Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
[Politically Incorrect Flag On]
Bilingualism is so anti-American, that it boggles the mind that public funds support it.

A nation of people who share a common language and customs, can better cooperate in the defense of person or property from attack.

A nation of people who cannot communicate and have different customs, will not cooperate.

For the predators, the latter is preferred over the former. A nation divided into unintelligible factions is doomed to collapse.

One language = one nation united.

------------------------

Reference :
Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The place where I was born and spent my childhood gave direction to all my future struggles. In Bialystok the inhabitants were divided into four distinct elements: Russians, Poles, Germans and Jews; each of these spoke their own language and looked on all the others as enemies.
L. L. Zamenhof, in a letter to N. Borovko, ca. 1895
Agreed.

Mexico would scream if it had to kiss the butts of English only speaking Americans living there, even legal ex pats and Mexico would be right to be mad.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Why? The aliens need to "take their orders" in english.....lol

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Should we also learn Chinese, Greek, Italian, German, etc. to accomodate all immigrants?
You don't get it do you?

You learn a few words of other languages to GET ALONG with your neighbors. You may not like it but living in CA means you have people from a lot of countries living in your neighborhood. They aren't going back to where they came from. Many of them cannot go back to where they came from. And a whole lot of them are happier in this country than you seem to be. Ironic, ain't it? They're happy. You aren't.

You have two choices: Learn a few words of the language of the people you live with and enjoy the fact that there's a Cambodian behind the counter putting a little extra icing on your donut.

Or shake your fist at everyone and complain to your brother-in-law that you pay four times as much as your likable neighbor to get the lawn mowed.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Why? The aliens need to "take their orders" in english.....lol
I witnessed a three ring circus in a Chinese restaurant managed by Chinese, but staffed entirely by Hispanics. You wouldn't believe the looks of confusion as Chinglish was translated into Spanglish and back again. Luckily, it was a buffet, so no one had to "take orders in English."
Why didn't those Hispanics just learn Cantonese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies