Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,877 times

Advertisements

My kid already knows some Spanish and I'm going to enroll her in Spanish camp this summer. If you want your kid to be ignorant, by all means, don't teach them anything, makes it easier for my kid to pounce on your kid academically.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I was simply pointing out where it would be useful to know Spanish. I don't know anyone planning on working in fast food or anyone that desires to work with the uneducated, but if you have to then you might as well learn Spanish and English so you can become the boss.

My parents had a couple of trees removed from their property last year and the guy (owner?) spoke perfect English, but when the workers showed up none of them spoke English. Would you rather be the lone English worker working with the crew or would you rather know English to deal with customers and Spanish to deal with crew workers? Alternatively, if the crew members never learn English they will never be able to deal with customers.
If the workers who showed up to remove trees couldn't speak English than they were more than likely illegals and that is the point. You advocate learning Spanish to communicate with illegal invaders? Really?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i think chinese,arabic and chinese are 3 languages americans should learn for the future.. but americans are one of the few countries there is mono-linguistic .. in alot of countries most people can speak 2 or more languages..
So cares what other countries do? There is no need to learn another language in this country if one is going remain here the rest of their lives and has no job dealing with foreigners in a foreign country. If you don't use it you lose it! Why are so many in here acting like it is the cat's meow to learn another language? I guess if we learn something that will really benefit us that doesn't count?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If the workers who showed up to remove trees couldn't speak English than they were more than likely illegals and that is the point. You advocate learning Spanish to communicate with illegal invaders? Really?
Ah, so if they aren't speaking English then they must be illegals, I should tell that to the people who run the Polish deli by my house because I don't think any of them know how to speak English or know how to speak it well.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
So cares what other countries do? There is no need to learn another language in this country if one is going remain here the rest of their lives and has no job dealing with foreigners in a foreign country. If you don't use it you lose it! Why are so many in here acting like it is the cat's meow to learn another language? I guess if we learn something that will really benefit us that doesn't count?
Excellent point, but how do you know what a child is going to do in their life when they are just a child? A friend of mine has taken classes in French and learned a foreign language and you know what she did, spent an entire year living in France speaking another language.

No one is forcing you to learn another language, but it is stupid for you to try and discourage others from learning new things.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Old glory you're on my block list so I can't see nor care to see your response. Have a good day

Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
If you cant understand me and I cant understand you then dont talk to me. This is America and I speak English. If you dont like it you shouldnt be here. Everyone should know English.

If you want to learn another language to better yourself by all means thats great but why Spanish? If you want to learn Spanish its telling me that you want to learn it to be able to communicate with the lazy people that dont want to bother learning our language. If you want to learn another language to better yourself why not something other than Spanish?

My kids (pre K and 2nd grade) learn Spanish in school and it drives me crazy..they need to focus on our language before they learn another. Everyone has different hobbies and if learning another language is what you enjoy doing then do it. I really see no point in it though unless you were going to be spending a lot of time in the country of the language you were trying to learn in order to communicate. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm gonna learn it. The times, they are a changing. In just a few decades, if you don't know Spanish, you're gonna be a like a Canadian that doesn't know French. Your (or your kids) job availability might suffer. Get ready before it's too late.

Think about this. Do you think of Mexico as Mexican people.. or American people? Do you associate mannerisms or skin color with your thoughts of who they are? Or might look like? Or what food stuffs they prefer? By about 2050, it won't be "Kookoo for cocoa puffs." It's gonna be "Más huevos rancheros"

This might sound like some kind of immigration thread. Maybe. Thing is though, is that a few races in the USA are being out bred. In a few decades, everyone on the world stage is going to see us as Mexico 2.0. It's like when someone mentions Africa and you think of a certain race. Is that race Black or White or do you have no association at all? I do. It's Black. Like when you read "30 people tried to vote and they got shot in Africa." Do you think of White people or Black people. In 30 years, everyone is going to be looking at the USA as a predominately Hispanic/Latino nation. It's like, If I say "hot Russian chick" do you think of a blond, blue eyed girl... or of the 100's of thousands of Chinese people there? Yeah, they look just as Chinese as the other Chinese people....from China. How many people read an article about problems in Russia and think of someone that looks Chinese?

Get ready for it. It's already happening.
[youtube]9yD3uNleWVU[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yD3uNleWVU"]Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion (Part 1) - YouTube[/URL]
Spanish for people not good enough to speak English (the KING on all languages)

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
If you cant understand me and I cant understand you then dont talk to me. This is America and I speak English. If you dont like it you shouldnt be here. Everyone should know English.

If you want to learn another language to better yourself by all means thats great but why Spanish? If you want to learn Spanish its telling me that you want to learn it to be able to communicate with the lazy people that dont want to bother learning our language. If you want to learn another language to better yourself why not something other than Spanish?

My kids (pre K and 2nd grade) learn Spanish in school and it drives me crazy..they need to focus on our language before they learn another. Everyone has different hobbies and if learning another language is what you enjoy doing then do it. I really see no point in it though unless you were going to be spending a lot of time in the country of the language you were trying to learn in order to communicate. Just my 2 cents.
If y ou want to "better" yourself by larning another language, the Int'l Language of Poverty, aka Spanish, isn't the one.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Learning a new language is a GOOD thing. It doesn't matter which language it is. You have no idea what kind of life your kids will have, so why hobble them with ignorance?
Americans are insular beyond belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies