Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Not really. Men are biologically driven to do this. So pretty much all men are sexually availible to any reasonably attractive woman. With social controls in place, women must select the one man who will make a good husband for her. Without them she will just choose the biggest bad boy stud she can find, have his baby and raise it with the help of government.
It is called self control, and that is just an excuse. I am a man and I am fully capable of rational thought and thus able to control my base desires. Thus why I have an education and no children. There are quite a few men out there that don't have illegitimate children, because they can control themselves. If men really couldn't control themselves there would be a lot more serial rapists out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
As do the women. The laws are already on the books to deal with fathers that don't pay child support. Even if you become disabled and homeless you still have to pay support or go to jail.
They both need to take responsibility and I would say child support is kind of the bare minimum don't you think? Furthermore I 100% support throwing deadbeats in jail. It is quite effective at stopping them from procreating further wouldn't you say?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Keep in mind that a lot of these women are careless and don't give a damn. Many careless women don't even recognize decent men.
Agree and the kids are the ones who suffer.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Agree and the kids are the ones who suffer.
Yes, and the women had the final call. They could have easily have gotten an abortion on day one to prevent this problem.

Either way, we have a major epidemic of children in poverty in the south. We need a solution.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ok I read it. What point are you trying to convey?
Just to read it first rather than just base everything on Joe's column.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Yes, which is why I linked to the actual original article and statistics that Joe Soucheray is talking about.

About 6 in 10 Recent Moms in Their Early 20s are Unmarried, Census Bureau Reports - American Community Survey (ACS) - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-21.pdf

So, ALL PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD should read the above links before commenting.
So according to this link the issue lies with non-college educated (and likely to not have finished high school) 20-24 year olds. Those women are having a disproportionate amount of children alone. And due to their education level, they are likely to be unemployed or very low income, which of course makes single motherhood extra problematic.

Another question to ask would be how many of these women already have kids.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
They both need to take responsibility and I would say child support is kind of the bare minimum don't you think? Furthermore I 100% support throwing deadbeats in jail. It is quite effective at stopping them from procreating further wouldn't you say?
If we are talking about somebody that won't pay, then yes. If we are talking about somebody that can't pay, then no. It costs $30K/yr to house somebody in jail and there isn't any reason to imprison somebody that is trying to support his kids. A dad paying support doesn't mean the woman won't receive public aid though.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is called self control, and that is just an excuse. There are quite a few men out there that don't have illegitimate children, because they can control themselves. It is the same reason most men can control themselves and not be serial rapists.
I think sexual "good behavior" is much more about conditioning and fear of consequences than self control.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
If we are talking about somebody that won't pay, then yes. If we are talking about somebody that can't pay, then no. It costs $30K/yr to house somebody in jail and there isn't any reason to imprison somebody that is trying to support his kids. A dad paying support doesn't mean the woman won't receive public aid though.
A lot of states tend to have rules such that the state collects child support to recoup welfare costs. So while it is true that a dad paying support doesn't mean a woman won't receive public aid, many states have done a great deal to prevent double dipping.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
As do the women. The laws are already on the books to deal with fathers that don't pay child support. Even if you become disabled and homeless you still have to pay support or go to jail.

Yeah, abstinence works great for the south.

Some of these men are in jail, some don't know they have a kid, some can only afford $5/month, etc. Child support laws take a flat percentage of your check, not the cost to raise a kid.
The court figures out what the men owe and garnish that amount. If they are arrears they garnish that on a payment plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies