Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
60% of Single Mothers in the U.S. are White Women. Looks like the grim outlook is already here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
Making up statistics?

If the child is biracial, that is no longer white
I was unaware that having a child of a different race changed the mother's race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A good read. I don't agree 100% but at least this guy has the guts to write a story like this in a major newspaper.

Joe Soucheray: Single moms are making us broke - TwinCities.com
Our welfare programs encourage young, poor women to pop out a baby.

Let's say you are a 16 year old girl, living at home with a bossy mother, and you want your independance, your own home, some increased attention, become a grown-up, and have some income. Do you stick it out at home with your overbearing mother, live in poverty, and suffer thru two or three more years of boring high school? Or do you just get pregnant, pop out a kid, get loads of free money without having to go to work, receive personal attention, financial assistance and a home of your own, away from that bossy mother? Besides, don't all the single, cool pop stars have love babies just like you?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
He didnt say they werent illegals
And, did I say HE? I don't think so bone.
Pay attention now.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Another way to word it would be "deadbeat dads are sending us broke by not supporting their families".

But that would be man-bashing.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Another way to word it would be "deadbeat dads are sending us broke by not supporting their families".

It's OK, man bashing's allowed on CD

Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:

Probably. It wouldn't be very accurate either. Paying child support doesn't mean the mom won't be collecting welfare.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I said people USED TO get married at younger ages. USED TO. Not now. It is not the norm anymore, but it USED TO be.

The point was, 20-24 year olds will have sex either way. Either they:

1. Will get married, thus having children born into a stable situation (what USED TO HAPPEN, when men with little education got manufacturing jobs)
2. Not get married, but delay childbirth in order to wait for a more stable situation in the future.

When we are talking about poor 20-24 year old women, #1 doesn't happen because marriageable men with stable jobs are not present in poor communities, and in fact many of the men that are around don't expect to be alive or out of jail past age 25. #2 doesn't happen because the motivation to do so comes from having faith in the future. THESE WOMEN DON'T HAVE THAT. And really, why should they?

Bottom line... if people have no reason to believe there is better out there, then they will keep doing what they are doing. All the hand wringing or scolding in the world won't change the fact that people have to believe in the future in order to live for one.
You assume the poor women would be interested in the men with stable jobs if they could find them. Many women from lower socioeconomic backgrounds find these men boring and feel no attraction towards them. They are more excited by the males who are in and out of jail. They demand "thug appeal". This is all races. Poor white women demand a bad boy type, often a total dirtbag. Just having a welfare system let's these women indulge their most base desires when choosing which men to have babies with.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Pregnancy last 40 weeks and childbirth takes hours to a day or two tops. That's not the end...that's the beginning. After that there is a HUMAN being who needs to be supported by law for the next 18-years. The kid is here on Earth and someone has to take responsibility for it. If it's not the biological parents then it's the state. Would have...could have...should have is irrelevant once the child is born because it can't be left to starve regardless of the circumstance of it's conception or birth.
actually no one has to take responsibility for a child that isnt theres...but regardless of that, would have could have should haves, may not have as much to do with a woman making the smartest birthing choices when the opportunity is available to her as we think they might be...what I mean is that: there is no would have should have nothing, when a smart choice (not even smart really, even when just common sense is used) is made before choosing to birth an unwanted child or a child that will be unattended for the next 18 years. Life itself isnt a bunch of post ex facto hypotheticals and theories, life actually happens...and the decisions we make regarding THE THINGS WE CAN CONTROL when the opportunity is present is what mostly determines what happens. In my opinion, it isnt enough to run around doing whatever you please and then absolve yourself of taking responsibility for our decisions by repeating some ho hum "woulda coulda shoulda" blurb.

Last edited by soletaire; 05-08-2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You assume the poor women would be interested in the men with stable jobs if they could find them. Many women from lower socioeconomic backgrounds find these men boring and feel no attraction towards them. They are more excited by the males who are in and out of jail. They demand "thug appeal". This is all races. Poor white women demand a bad boy type, often a total dirtbag. Just having a welfare system let's these women indulge their most base desires when choosing which men to have babies with.
I consider this to be a huge problem as well..there is a excess of selfishness in our society by both sexes. But particularly among many women, especially from lower economic/socio-economic environments, there is this deal of trying to do what appeases whatever fleeting emotion they're having at the moment. If they are in the mood for a thrill, and find adult life too boring, they'll hopscotch from irresponsible man to irresponsible man. And those thrills often come at a cost...To the extent that thrill seeking or the results of thrill seeking actually becomes a lifestyle. And this is because they're not thinking about children if they have any. And even if they dont have children, they feel no larger obligation to be a role model to other citizens or the children of other citizens. Its not uncommon to hear things like "Im just doing my thing"...or "Im not worried about anybody else but myself..."... well thats part of the problem...none of us lives in a bubble...you share my tax dollars just as I share yours... as a member of a society, you SHOULD be worried to some degree what others are doing and how they fair.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:

Yeah, but the Lord be praised, at least we now have DNA testing. There is no more 'he said, she said' confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies