Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,919,256 times

Advertisements

I'm going to lay this all out for some of you who still don't get this very simple concept. Of course, I'm pretty sure most of you are not even reading my posts, so I'm probably wasting my precious time.

YOU ARE ALL USING WELFARE OR PLAN TO DO SO.

Even if you don't really need it.

Quote:
Medicare is a welfare system where current taxpayers fund the health care expenses of retired people. Each generation funds the health care of those who came before them - that's how the system works. There is a Medicare trust fund, but it never has contained more than a couple of years of costs. We pay into the system because it is the right thing to do, but there are apparently a large number of selfish and ignorant older Americans out there now who believe that they have funded their own Medicare costs.

Your Medicare taxes you paid while working have paid for healthcare for your parents. That money was spent. There is no magical trust fund that can pay your medical expenses filled with money you put in. You are depending 100% on the willingness of your children's generation to keep paying taxes to fund your health care.

And just for the record, although Social Security does have a trust fund from which benefits are drawn it's also welfare- no private company can provide the assurance that the Federal government does or could it require employers to pay taxes into the retirement fund.

Welfare is not bad - it's how we meet our moral obligations to people who need help or people we owe something to - like veterans or the last generation of workers. Medicare allows us to live in a society where old people are not treated like trash. But selfishness is bad - at least for those of us who believe the Bible or some other bleeding heart liberal doctrine and who do not follow Ayn Rand. And selfishness is self-destructive: the deluded "conservative" Medicare recipients who think only of themselves may discover the consequences of their hard heartedness when the next generation turns them out onto the street.
Medicare is welfare and so is social security | The People's View

A poster on here has claimed that she/he knows a family that is abusing the system. I pointed out that the family could not be doing that at all, but she/he still is hanging on to the idea that they are abusing the system (while not reporting this family for fraud). However, I think I have finally figured out what is going on in this poster's head.

She/he is upset because the mother popped out four kids and has chosen to be a stay at home parent and use government assistance, when really, this mother could be working. I understand this viewpoint. I could too choose to not work and get some benefits, but I choose not to.

But morally and legally, what this non-working mother is doing is absolutely no different than a person taking medicare when he could afford to pay for it himself. ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT WHATSOEVER. She is taking benefits she is legally entitled to, that she doesn't desperately need, just as a medicare recipient who could pay for their own health insurance is doing (and seniors have their whole lives to plan and prepare for these costs!).

To judge these people as selfish (and leeches!!) when you plan to be just as selfish, is hypocritical. Didn't Jesus say something about those kind of people? If you aren't a hypocrite, I hope you are getting your crap together so you can pay for the most expensive healthcare you will need in your life, out of your own pocket. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get to it.

Last edited by soanchorless; 05-08-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Sounds like these people are lost souls and do anything to make it.. sad.. killing one another, selling drugs. There are many poor people who are decent God loving individuals who are in the mess of the world and know it is hell on earth right here for some.

People have choices and they do have some control but others can bring in havoc in the lives of decent people.. We are a nation that is moving away from God and this will create more havoc on the earth.
True that, brother.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post

But morally and legally, what this non-working mother is doing is absolutely no different than a person taking medicare when he could afford to pay for it himself. ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT WHATSOEVER.

To judge these people as selfish (and leeches!!) when you plan to be just as selfish, is hypocritical. .
Social Security & Medicare are mandatory federal programs, with rare exceptions as defined
under law, with a wait till age 65 to get any benefit.

No one is mandating someone have children they can not afford to care for, from the get go.
Those kind of people are selfish.

BTW, I've never known a mother that is non working, but
I've known many that have had another job or two,
along side of the job of being a mom, to put a roof over their child's head
Same goes for their dads.

Funny, besides going to college, most folks learn by example ^^^.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Social Security & Medicare are mandatory federal programs, with rare exceptions as defined
under law, with a wait till age 65 to get any benefit.

No one is mandating someone have children they can not afford to care for, from the get go.
Those kind of people are selfish.

BTW, I've never known a mother that is non working, but
I've known many that have had another job or two,
along side of the job of being a mom, to put a roof over their child's head
Same goes for their dads.

Funny, besides going to college, most folks learn by example ^^^.
Sorry, you do not have to use your medicare or social security benefits. But keep telling yourself that so you can feel better about being selfish while at the same time judging other people.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you do not have to use your medicare or social security benefits. But keep telling yourself that so you can feel better about being selfish while at the same time judging other people.
I'm not getting SS yet. But there is no reason I can't donate the funds, when I start
receiving them. And no, I don't have to take Medicare Part B either.

I can judge those who have children they can not afford. When you are on public
assistance, you loose your "don't judge me"

At least have a sense of gratitude, if you can muster that...

I'm not selfish. I give to private charities all the time, as well as to the public one
a.k.a. U.S. Treasury.

IMO, for one to feel better about self, one needs self reliance
Pass it on.....

Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm not getting SS yet. But there is no reason I can't donate the funds, when I start
receiving them. And no, I don't have to take Medicare Part B either.

I can judge those who have children they can not afford. When you are on public
assistance, you loose your "don't judge me"

At least have a sense of gratitude, if you can muster that...

I'm not selfish. I give to private charities all the time, as well as to the public one
a.k.a. U.S. Treasury.

IMO, for one to feel better about self, one needs self reliance
Pass it on.....
As long as you plan not to use medicare, and you plan to donate your social security benefits, we're good. Go on judging people who have children they can not afford.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,387,797 times
Quote:
I sense a lot of suffering on this thread, much of it self inflicted, and part of it, guilt that people are trying to justify illogically. Peace and love be with all of you.

“When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have problems with our friends or family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change”

― Thich Nhat Hanh
Love Thich Nhat Hanh.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Go on judging people who have children they can not afford.
I'll do what I can
on educating mankind for a smaller footprint ...

Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,403,607 times
Here in Massachusetts there has been a long-time-going effort to fix fraud in the welfare system and EBT. Look up Shauna O' Connell and the commission against EBT/Welfare fraud. There are a few bills put up. So far very few things have been passed except for the obvious stuff like not allowing the EBT cards to be used at bars and strip clubs, etc. But it doesn't stop people from withdrawing their TANF money from an ATM and then going to the bar. As long as they can take cash out there's no way to know what they spend the money on. It's also very difficult to track down people who sell their EBT cards for cash on the street. It's a tough battle when you're a republican in a democrat dominated state. But as I've said before there are even some democrats who are getting concerned about the abuse going on. I'm not too sure on what's been passed yet.

It's been an even hotter topic after what happened with the boston marathon bombing. The guys who did it came from a family who was on welfare (including themselves) and other assistance programs. Despite all of this Deval Patrick is still not budging.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,181,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Love Thich Nhat Hanh.
I have heard of BAD SEED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies