Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Let me put it this way. Would you send your kid to a school where 5% of the teachers were known pedophiles. Or take a flight with a company where 2% of the flights do down in flames. I am sure most of them would be just fine, terrific perhaps, but would you take that risk?

That is the problem with the bully breeds. They were bred for aggression and the ability to kill. Although most will not ever do anything vicious, an unacceptable number will...and have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
He looks very much like my boy, who's ears were also cut. I adopted him from my vet, after he was found full of buckshot and porcupine quills. Somebody had dumped him in the foothills.
He's a wonderful pet, we love him dearly. He got along with our other four dogs from day one, never a problem. He is territorial, and that's just fine with us.

Great story.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its refreshing to hear the good stories in the media for a change. And they even have a picture of the dog so you can see for yourself the actual breed. Imagine that.
Not to go off the rails, here, but that really is one hellaciously big pittie. But I'm not going to speculate. Pitties are mixed breeds 99.99% of the time. You don't usually see purebred Am Staffs roaming the streets or in silly news stories written by fools who don't have a clue. They're all at dog shows or home minding their own business, not getting into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
He looks very much like my boy, who's ears were also cut. I adopted him from my vet, after he was found full of buckshot and porcupine quills. Somebody had dumped him in the foothills.
He's a wonderful pet, we love him dearly. He got along with our other four dogs from day one, never a problem. He is territorial, and that's just fine with us.

Great story.
And your story is a great story. You're my new bff. lol.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan
if it had been a pit bull that killed, this thread would get a lot of traffic.. pit bulls are good dogs
Yes and shepards are also.... Its sad that these 2 groups are looked down on just because of a few of them!

VERY LUCKY LADY!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't understand why people who love the bully breeds can't agree that they are powerful, protective dogs with strong prey instincts. Conceding that does not mean that they are not also smart, affectionate and obedient and that, given the right circumstances, they make wonderful pets.

We have a retriever breed who has bitten people a number of people over the years. She chomped one little girl three separate times. When the girl was little, she would come over and get in the dog's face, give her hugs and once tried to crawl in the crate with her. Our dog gave her what I would call "corrective" chomps, much like a mother dog might do when she'd had too much of a puppy--more of an open-mouth whack than a bite. If I'm not watching her carefully, she'll also sneak up on service people and bite them on the heel or the back of the pants leg. But that's all she does and she appears to act out of fear.

A dog with a stronger protective or prey instinct, like many of the bully breeds, might also be dealing out a correction, or chasing off a stranger, or addressing what it otherwise perceives to be a threat, but is much better at it than our retriever or other breeds of dogs. People often cite the fact that bully breeds have been called nanny dogs because they watch over children. This means that they identify strongly with their pack, want to defend it and put their money where their mouth is. These are wonderful qualities in a dog, but if they're misdirected toward someone who is not presenting a threat, they can be dangerous qualities as well.

As with many issues, it's not black or white. You can advocate for the bully breeds while also recognizing that they have some qualities that cause them to need a strong alpha dog presence and close supervision in some settings.

I don't think any one will disagree with you. After all a dog is a dog, and any breed at any time can snap for whatever reason. The bully breeds have a reputation your right. But like politicians they ain't all bad!

I know some that are nicer then the little yacky dogs who try and bite at your ankes while you are trying i said trying to walk.

They are powerful no one will argue that fact. But so was a standard poodle i never though would try and attack my daughter for no reason when she was a young child of 4. Just walking by the neighbors home across the street. For some reason the front screen door to the home was open. This gosh damn dog, ran out fron where my daughter was walking, knocked her down, and started biting her for no damn reason attacking her.

If the owenr's husband did not come out when he did, i do not know what would of happened. She was getting ready to cross the street and come home, it was a cul-de-sac. I was looking out of the window, but the dog came out way too fast.

I now hate that damn breed. That is all it took. My daughter hates this breed with a passion. She has no problem with pit's but she has always been an animal person.

We have owned many dogs in our time, Rott's german shepards, tereriers, you name it we have owned them, but without any problems what so ever.

You train a dog to be a killer with those instincts, what do you expect of them, need to get tough with the owenrs.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a ****in' duck!
Yeah, which is why there was an uproar when a pit bull attacked a small child in my hometown a few years back and people were calling to get them banned.

Turned out, the dog was a chocolate lab.

Interestingly, when that little tidbit of information came out, people all of a sudden had better things to do than talk about dangerous pit bulls.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if it had been a pit bull that killed, this thread would get a lot of traffic.. pit bulls are good dogs
I'm sure many are, but some owners are jerks who don't take care of their dogs and then those dogs end up hurting someone. I believe those owners need to be held accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies