Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

The person who started this topic is like an arsonist starting fires meant to flame the right. Then when the flames get too hot and he might catch himself on fire he runs like a scared rabbit and hides. Coward!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Id much rather talk to someone intelligent at a party than stand in a circle of high school dropouts as they blame Obama for their problems, and that does happen quite a lot in the south.
Evangelical=Intelligent?

But I thought this was impossible.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Unless for China most of today's modern Liberals would go quite naked, since none of them seem to have any real living skill sets period.

Of course i had to suffer a learning curve for each skill set. Many of the first items were not of a pro quality.
I enjoy the comforts of the modern world, am an urban dweller, and I can still do things many people can not. Can many people perform complex statistical calculations to in order to properly value risk? Can many people price the cost of fraud and waste into premiums? Can many people build statistical models for costing various forecasts of financial and non-financial performance of a business? I may not work with my hands a lot, but I can work with my brain pretty damn well...which in my view is much more important.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Whether it's psychology, science sociology, foreign languages, etc... many conservatives, and even liberals, seem to have an aversion to knowledge.

Some actually have downright hostility. When did ignorance become a badge of honor?
I know quite a few conservatives and none of them fit your description.

Maybe you need some new friends.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM

252 posts, read 264,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I enjoy the comforts of the modern world, am an urban dweller, and I can still do things many people can not. Can many people perform complex statistical calculations to in order to properly value risk? Can many people price the cost of fraud and waste into premiums? Can many people build statistical models for costing various forecasts of financial and non-financial performance of a business? I may not work with my hands a lot, but I can work with my brain pretty damn well...which in my view is much more important.
actuaries are stupid. Go get your hands skinned up, come back and call yourself a real man. (sarcasm) This entire thread is very strange, it is mostly just people bragging about their skills and telling other people that they are dumb. I know that is a simple observation but what really was the point?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Whether it's psychology, science sociology, foreign languages, etc... many conservatives, and even liberals, seem to have an aversion to knowledge.

Some actually have downright hostility. When did ignorance become a badge of honor?
Care to back up your statement with facts? I'm so tired of people building silly straw men in their basements, and then running out to start a thread like this.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Well that would change if you crashed on a commuter flight real fast.

Speaking of man and his silly notions on value, just exactly what is a USD note dollar note worth today?

Last time i did the math was 3 months or so ago and at that time a buck was worth about 2 cents. At the time it took about 35 paper notes to buy 1 real silver dollar. Now that silver dollar is only 90% silver, and it doesn't weight a full troy ounce.

While I am willing to trade paper notes around for items I make and or items i don't make that I might want, the value system we have is far from any real sense of value.

I don't consider items of value to be items the govt can tax for ever such as land or cars that drop in value and or homes build of sticks that increase in value but not really.... This is a folly of man kind.

Bank notes like a CD or a savings account are all folly of man.... Worse the Govt can claim dollars are worthless anytime it wants and they have in the past. During WW-2 we issued orange paper notes for the African Theater, and no sooner was the war over and the notes were deemed less value than trash.

But you have proven there is a entire life style revolving around fantasy. I understand you consider it to be 'Normal'.

But on my part i would sure appreciate new mocs on my feet of worthless paper notes in my pocket.

Now i can make leather, and then make mocs, so I have a skill set to trade with..... What are the stats on that?

If the trucks stop in 3 days your world is gone. Back in 2006 i toured the USA and the grain silos in the bread belt were empty. The USA came scary close to having NO FOOD for the masses.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times

It didn't. It's just that, if you are talking college/university, there is so much B.S. being passed off as education today that people are very leery of what's being taught. Plus the costs associated with the aforementioned make it more restrictive than ever before. And look at our current job situation. As far as agreeing with what's popular/politically correct educationally today, that's another subject.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why is speaking the truth always considered hateful by the conservatives? Most of them do act like they learned everything they needed to know in gospel school.
Yes, the three G's.
God
Guns
Guts

very little upstairs in the thinking department.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well that would change if you crashed on a commuter flight real fast.

Speaking of man and his silly notions on value, just exactly what is a USD note dollar note worth today?

Last time i did the math was 3 months or so ago and at that time a buck was worth about 2 cents. At the time it took about 35 paper notes to buy 1 real silver dollar. Now that silver dollar is only 90% silver, and it doesn't weight a full troy ounce.

While I am willing to trade paper notes around for items I make and or items i don't make that I might want, the value system we have is far from any real sense of value.

I don't consider items of value to be items the govt can tax for ever such as land or cars that drop in value and or homes build of sticks that increase in value but not really.... This is a folly of man kind.

Bank notes like a CD or a savings account are all folly of man.... Worse the Govt can claim dollars are worthless anytime it wants and they have in the past. During WW-2 we issued orange paper notes for the African Theater, and no sooner was the war over and the notes were deemed less value than trash.

But you have proven there is a entire life style revolving around fantasy. I understand you consider it to be 'Normal'.

But on my part i would sure appreciate new mocs on my feet of worthless paper notes in my pocket.

Now i can make leather, and then make mocs, so I have a skill set to trade with..... What are the stats on that?

If the trucks stop in 3 days your world is gone. Back in 2006 i toured the USA and the grain silos in the bread belt were empty. The USA came scary close to having NO FOOD for the masses.
Honestly those skills are useless to me. If what you say would happen, what the hell is there really to live for? Who would want to live in that kind of world? I'm sorry I live life to enjoy things in the short time span that I have...not to hunt/scratch/claw to eke out survival. If that were the case I would go find a roof to jump off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies