Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know why you shouldn't be able to, but it's certainly STUPID to opt out.

None of you "I wanna opt out" fools can get a better deal for $6.20 for every $100 bucks you make, and if you say you can then you're just lying your asses off. It ain't possible.

And if it is possible, then take another 6.2% and invest it, since so many of you are so rich.
I have not paid into the SS system for over 3 decades. I have however privately invested the same amount that I would have paid into SS over that period. I am now approaching the time that I will "need" those retirement monies - and the amount I'm going to get is far greater (FAR GREATER!) than if I had waited for / paid into, social security.

I'm very happy NOT relying on Social Security. I'm very happy that I did not pay into social security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have not paid into the SS system for over 3 decades. I have however privately invested the same amount that I would have paid into SS over that period. I am now approaching the time that I will "need" those retirement monies - and the amount I'm going to get is far greater (FAR GREATER!) than if I had waited for / paid into, social security.

I'm very happy NOT relying on Social Security. I'm very happy that I did not pay into social security.
Sure. Whatever you say.

That 6.2% of your income invested privately made you THAT MUCH dough? Just that tiny amount? Really?

Guess what, I'm paying my SS tax, AND I'm putting away other money for retirement.

What's so bad about doing that? After all, I'm still 20 years from retiring...what if I suffer a debilitating illness or injury and I can't work? Is Fidelity gonna send me a stipend for the rest of my life and give my minor children (if I had any)an income should I die in unforeseen circumstances?

SMH...life inside the Ayn Rand bubble must be nice.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Sure. Whatever you say.
Like I said, I'm not unhappy with my decisions. You are happy with your decisions. That's the way it should be, don't you think?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not unhappy with my decisions. You are happy with your decisions. That's the way it should be, don't you think?
My comment was a snarky attempt at making it clear that there's no way that 6.2% of your income over 30 years is giving you a comfortable retirement. Not on this planet.

But hey, if you like it, then I love it. I just don't believe it.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Social Security is both a good and bad thing. The bad is that many people, of course, will never get out the 12% they pay in every year (you 6% and your employer 6%). It also benefits some groups of people such as upper class and middle class white women far more than it benefits working class or poor people because they live longer. Many blue collar males die before 65 and never get a dime.
The good of Social Security comes in the form of the cost of living adjustments. Social Security is adjusted for inflation. That might not mean much right now in an era of low to no inflation but with Ben and Co printing up $85 billion a month trying to reinflate the economy, it may mean a whole lot in the near future. Unlike other types of retirement investments, you don't have to worrk as much about inflation eating up your savings. Another good thing is that Social Security last you whole life. You don't have to worry about ever running out of money as you do with savings and investment programs. The final good is that, since Social Security is a public program not linked to stocks and bonds that might fall in value, you don't have to worry about it getting wiped out by market crashes.
Overall it is a good program.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
My comment was a snarky attempt at making it clear that there's no way that 6.2% of your income over 30 years is giving you a comfortable retirement. Not on this planet.

But hey, if you like it, then I love it. I just don't believe it.
As a self employed individual, it's more than 6.2% - essentially its the amount paid by the employee and employer. Did I add to the amount? Sure I did. That's only the smart thing to do. But the point is, I do not have, nor ever will have, social security. And personally, I'm not unhappy with that decision.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
As a self employed individual, it's more than 6.2% - essentially its the amount paid by the employee and employer. Did I add to the amount? Sure I did. That's only the smart thing to do. But the point is, I do not have, nor ever will have, social security. And personally, I'm not unhappy with that decision.
I hear ya, but everyone on C-D is self employed and so on and so forth. So at a certain point, I gotta let it go in one ear and out the other.

But anyway...good for you.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Yes it is and has worked for 80 years. As has been proved by the 2008 downturn.

A lot of people will have SS to fall back on after paying in for about 40 years or so.

So its a govt. plan which works and is effective.
Really?

and just how many people in their 50's could have used THEIR money over the past few years to stay afloat?

Look....it's really this simple....just send me 1% of your earnings each week and I'll hold it until you're 62....if you die before then, I'll keep it. If you live past then, I'll decide on how much of it I want to give you monthly.

Deal?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There we go with the "taxes are theft" mantra. Taxes are the dues we pay to have a civil society.

I read two opposing arguments from conservatives. One side says that recipients are a drain on the system, as they receive far more than they pay in. The other side says that most won't get back what they pay in. Get your stories straight.
Taxes are not theft.

However, what politicians spend it on is mostly illegal.

How can you claim liberty when you have a government that can reach into your pocket because of someone elses need?

Both arguments are valid.

My father in law has been collecting SS for 27 years. He has collected far more than he ever paid in.

How is it fair that another persons labor, who didn't live to collect a dime of what they paid in, has their money taken from them to give to another?

I want a choice in where my money goes....anything else is plunder.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Wrong, See how the system works before you brand it welfare. The system is and will continue to be sustainable.
Any time that there is a system that takes from one and gives to another is welfare on the part of the recipient.

I would say that at this point, my father in law is a welfare recipient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies