Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It has never been tried. What has been tried is what we have - excessive regulation and brigades of government officials who are routinely paid off to look the other way.

Or are you under the impression that under the heavy regulation of collectivist governments we are presently experiencing a "corruption free, environmentally clean, livable, and functioning society". Yeah, that's so obviously true! Like in China. Or Chicago. Such a notion is so utterly ludicrous that it seems impossible that anyone could entertain it. But yet, here we are... In actuality, it seems that corruption and political depravity correlate directly with the volume of regulation that a government is "trusted" with. With the biggest collectivist and statist regimes exhibiting the most unparalleled and fantastic levels of utter corruption. I'll take my chances with the industrialists.
Actually, it has. In the US it's called the Robber Baron Era. Rotten food, life threatening working conditions, sewage in the streets, no child labor laws, poison peddled as medicine, dangerous tenement housing, etc., and no one liable for the suffering. When there are no regulations, there's not even anyone to pay off - the rich truly do rule. The courts? They own those too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
I've said time and time again, eventually corporations will be our elected officials. For a preview of how a city can become a corporation, look no further than the City of London where deregulation runs rampant, where the 'city' is considered a corporation, where corporations and companies have more votes than the average citizen, the corporation of London is so powerful that even the UK parliament doesn't write rules for it nor does it have to answer any questions from the UK parliament, this is what your future US will look like if things aren't controlled a bit more.

City of London Corporation Home Site
Welcome to the City of London Corporation
A little information on the voting in the City, note that it says there are more votes than voters.
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/about...elections.aspx

SN: none of what I was saying about the City of London is an exaggeration, The City is really considered a corporation where corporations have more say so in the politics than the people do.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianPetersonRules View Post
Dude's beholden to the 0.01% just like the rest of Wall Street, DC. Feature that!
The left complains about corporate welfare but they fail to realize that yes their dear leader is beholden to the 0.01%.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 AM

287 posts, read 185,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The left complains about corporate welfare but they fail to realize that yes their dear leader is beholden to the 0.01%.
You can't get elected to Wall Street, DC, unless you're willing to jump in bed with the .01% Nice one party system we have, hey?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 AM

486 posts, read 863,205 times
Watch the video "Wealth Inequality in America" on YouTube......I'd link it but my computer is having problems.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Ok, I'll change the deductable on my all income fron all sources income tax to 0.1%. They own the country, they can pay to maintain it.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Watch the video "Wealth Inequality in America" on YouTube......I'd link it but my computer is having problems.

Wealth distribution In America - YouTube

Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
All I can say is that if you think you've got it bad, try being in the top 3-5 percent of income earners - too well off for anyone to feel empathy for, but definitely NOT the filthy rich and usually lacking the "connections" to evade taxes, hide money, call in favors, use public resources for personal use, etc.

My husband and I had an income increase this past year - and that increase resulted in us paying in HALF that increase in additional taxes. What a work incentive! "Work harder - pay half your extra income back in taxes!"

We work from January till May before we make one penny for ourselves. I'm not complaining about paying our taxes, or about our lifestyle. What I'm saying is that it's not the 1 percenters who are carrying the load, and it's not the nearly 50 percent of working Americans who either don't pay in or get refunded (sometimes in EXCESS of what they paid in) their federal taxes, who are footing the bill. It's the stable, and fairly well off middle class - who is becoming more and more "demonized" by being categorized as "the wealthy" by the media - and politicians who, as part of the top 1-3 percent of wage earners, are the consummate hypocrites.

It's ridiculous to claim so simply and with such a blanket statement that anyone making over $200,000 a year is wealthy.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
There is no wealth inequality in America. Because the concept is meaningless. If someone wants wealth and they do not have it, the path is clear - you need to be smart, you need to work hard, you need to make sacrifices with respect to free time - in short: you have to be amazing and not willing to be less than amazing. You have to bring a high amount of value to other people. Predictably, not many want to make that effort. For those that don't, there will always be wealth inequality: the amount of wealth they would like to have, but are not willing to work for and earn!

What other people have is their problem, or their opportunity, and no one else's business. I don't care if 90% of the wealth is controlled by 10% of the population. Guess what? That's how it works in every profession. Most of the wealth is earned by the few, because they are worth it, while most others are not. Yes, there is a such thing as talent, and strength and speed and intellect and ability at athletics, music, organizing, motivating others, etc, etc, etc.

If you are not talented and are just a boring member of the middle of the bell curve, you should not expect wealth, and should consider yourself lucky that the talented blazed the trail you get to walk on at a leisurely pace.

We need less envy in this country. Stop worrying about the rich. If you want money, earn it. But be prepared - there will be a sacrifice. If you are a lazy good-for-nothing, you are still free to sit there with your stupid brain cell-killing six-pack and stare at the football game every Sunday, Monday, Thursday, on the 70 inch plasma that someone amazing invented and/or improved. But stop complaining. you shouldn't have wealth, you do not deserve it and wouldn't know what to do with it if you did have it.

There are elite human beings. Be thankful and bow down. Without them you are the same caveman your 100-great grandfather was.

(when I say you, I mean "one", not you personally... so many people misinterpret the pronoun "you" as a personal attack).

Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no wealth inequality in America. Because the concept is meaningless. If someone wants wealth and they do not have it, the path is clear - you need to be smart, you need to work hard, you need to make sacrifices with respect to free time - in short: you have to be amazing and not willing to be less than amazing. You have to bring a high amount of value to other people. Predictably, not many want to make that effort. For those that don't, there will always be wealth inequality: the amount of wealth they would like to have, but are not willing to work for and earn!

What other people have is their problem, or their opportunity, and no one else's business. I don't care if 90% of the wealth is controlled by 10% of the population. Guess what? That's how it works in every profession. Most of the wealth is earned by the few, because they are worth it, while most others are not. Yes, there is a such thing as talent, and strength and speed and intellect and ability at athletics, music, organizing, motivating others, etc, etc, etc.

If you are not talented and are just a boring member of the middle of the bell curve, you should not expect wealth, and should consider yourself lucky that the talented blazed the trail you get to walk on at a leisurely pace.

We need less envy in this country. Stop worrying about the rich. If you want money, earn it. But be prepared - there will be a sacrifice. If you are a lazy good-for-nothing, you are still free to sit there with your stupid brain cell-killing six-pack and stare at the football game every Sunday, Monday, Thursday, on the 70 inch plasma that someone amazing invented and/or improved. But stop complaining. you shouldn't have wealth, you do not deserve it and wouldn't know what to do with it if you did have it.

There are elite human beings. Be thankful and bow down. Without them you are the same caveman your 100-great grandfather was.

(when I say you, I mean "one", not you personally... so many people misinterpret the pronoun "you" as a personal attack).
You are either still young and extremely naive, or Poe's Law is in play here. It's so hard to tell around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies