Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,700,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
If you dont know about it why do you persist with the unsubstantiated biased agenda driven commentary
Don't go making me laugh again. My cheeks hurt from laughing last time you started the crazy talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM

18,126 posts, read 15,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I saw that film. You're right. That's what it's all about. Robots.
If you will pardon my saying so, you take on things id very generalized. Your premise is totally willing to place a stigma on men, using the example of this Asian bride subject. Whilst I will freely admit, a lot of men who go for the latter, are expecting the stereotype of Oriental women, as submissive and deferent, they are a minority of the percentage.

Perhaps these outfits that offer services, in this overseas bride business, need to be taken to task. They, deliberatly, misrepresent Asian women, primarily Russian , Chinese and Southeast Asian, as something they are not.

The stereotype of submissive Oriental women, comes from JAPANESE history, under feudal rule. The law of Bushido, where women were totally deferant the men, and could only follow a man three steps behind him. This has been defunct, for some time now. Lol...ya think?! However, this is what is being portrayed, and there are a number of the aforementioned men, who are not educated in Asian/ Oriental culture, who buy into the BS.

I don't have a "fetish" for either Asian or Oriental women. Though I have known many who were almost overwhelmingly attractive. But, I have known many women of all other backgrounds, tbat had the same effect.

So, I find your willingness to aggregate a larger percentage of men than actually exist, into the catavory into fetishistsand desiring a robot, to be misguided, and unfounded.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,727,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
If you will pardon my saying so, you take on things id very generalized. Your premise is totally willing to place a stigma on men, using the example of this Asian bride subject. Whilst I will freely admit, a lot of men who go for the latter, are expecting the stereotype of Oriental women, as submissive and deferent, they are a minority of the percentage.
This seems the same way to me in this post. Women have rights and I am happy for that yet they changed and are more independent but yet they still want to men to be men. Something is amiss between how women act now and how they want men to be.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Perhaps these outfits that offer services, in this overseas bride business, need to be taken to task. They, deliberatly, misrepresent Asian women, primarily Russian , Chinese and Southeast Asian, as something they are not.

The stereotype of submissive Oriental women, comes from JAPANESE history, under feudal rule. The law of Bushido, where women were totally deferant the men, and could only follow a man three steps behind him. This has been defunct, for some time now. Lol...ya think?! However, this is what is being portrayed, and there are a number of the aforementioned men, who are not educated in Asian/ Oriental culture, who buy into the BS.

I don't have a "fetish" for either Asian or Oriental women. Though I have known many who were almost overwhelmingly attractive. But, I have known many women of all other backgrounds, tbat had the same effect.

So, I find your willingness to aggregate a larger percentage of men than actually exist, into the catavory into fetishistsand desiring a robot, to be misguided, and unfounded.
By no means do I think all men fall into this. I think men who are into this fetish fall into the fetish, but the rest don’t. My bf, for example, is repulsed by the idea of a silent, braindead creature to dominate. Why someone would not want a fun, confident woman with self-esteem who is assertive and knows what she wants, I can only guess at. That’s why I say that I guess the men who want this fetish, probably suffer from a seriously low self-esteem and seek someone that suffers from an even lower self-esteem in order to feel some semblance of normalcy. Also, as I mentioned before, it’s one thing to act out all kinds of really demented stuff in the bedroom, and quite another to be carrying out demented stuff in real life. Carrying out demented stuff in real life is scary as hell and belongs in some nutjob movie about criminal psychos.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM

2,528 posts, read 3,033,722 times
Quote:
I believe they used the term which is used for the fetish. This is a fetish, after all. It isn't apple pie at your grandma's house. It's kind of a nasty thing.
Sexual attraction to individuals of a different ethnic background may well be a preference for some people, however it is most decidedly not a fetish. In the realm of sexual psychology, a fetish is an abnormal or excessive sexual attraction to objects or body parts which are not typically considered to arouse sexual interest in and of themselves. For example: feet, earlobes, boots, hats, etc.

Unless one is a devout racist, I cannot imagine interracial attractions being defined as "kind of a nasty thing"

Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
By no means do I think all men fall into this. I think men who are into this fetish fall into the fetish, but the rest don’t. My bf, for example, is repulsed by the idea of a silent, braindead creature to dominate. Why someone would not want a fun, confident woman with self-esteem who is assertive and knows what she wants, I can only guess at. That’s why I say that I guess the men who want this fetish, probably suffer from a seriously low self-esteem and seek someone that suffers from an even lower self-esteem in order to feel some semblance of normalcy. Also, as I mentioned before, it’s one thing to act out all kinds of really demented stuff in the bedroom, and quite another to be carrying out demented stuff in real life. Carrying out demented stuff in real life is scary as hell and belongs in some nutjob movie about criminal psychos.
Fair enough. Good clarification. I , also, have no desire for a brain dead creature with the personality of dryer lint. My lil' gal has attitude from Hell, but at the same time, I can't resist her manner. Maybe it's her diminutive size, the fact she is so damn cute she could charm the fur off a grumpy bear, or a host of other factors. Probably all of them together. ...She is just so huggable, squozeable, cuddleable, I can't bring myself to be cross with her. Bless her, she does not capitalize on this, ....much. lmao. She is what brought me back when I thought I couldn't come back. No mail order woman could do that. I am quite lucky to have her on my side, and I would stop a bullet for her.

Men and women can compliment, anx be a credit to each other. ""Relationships" like these overseas brides thing, are a sham. An illusion of a relationship, without, genuine feeling. Oh, perbaps this grows, over time, in some cases. Still, I find it hard to accept that there would ever be a solid foundation. Particularly if the man in question, indeed, has a "fetish" and the woman is running away from something.

For me, it is worth the wait, to have something real. All the hell I went through, led me to my precious gal, and I would do it all again, to find her. To these guys who buy into the overseas bride thing, to me, they are skipping the best part of a relationship. Basically, settling for a hotdog, when a juicy Top Sirloin just requires a bit of patience.

Deliver me from plastic relationships, bought with cash. I would rather just be alone, me n da dog, than risk an implosion of my life for someone I picked out of a photo array, and know nothing about. Seems to me, there would be no real joy in that.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM

4,838 posts, read 4,150,356 times
Quote:
Lmao!! Do you remember how The Stepford Wives ended? Read the book before I saw the movie. And there are two movies. I thought that there was a moral to that story, correct me if I am in error.
It ends with the main woman, the one who was very independent, becoming one of "them". You know it was the husbands that did it, not the wives, right? He finally got to her.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Sexual attraction to individuals of a different ethnic background may well be a preference for some people, however it is most decidedly not a fetish. In the realm of sexual psychology, a fetish is an abnormal or excessive sexual attraction to objects or body parts which are not typically considered to arouse sexual interest in and of themselves. For example: feet, earlobes, boots, hats, etc.

Unless one is a devout racist, I cannot imagine interracial attractions being defined as "kind of a nasty thing"
I think you need to hear the filmmaker (a woman of Chinese background) speak about the fetish:

“In my life, I've encountered so many Western men who — just like the main character of Seeking Asian Female — have ‘Yellow Fever,’ or an unusual attraction to Asian women,” says filmmaker Debbie Lum.

Here's a summary of the documentary:

SEEKING ASIAN FEMALE is everything that a great documentary should be. Informative, straightforward, and challenging. In this case, deeply challenging. The phenomenon of Yellow Fever, non-Asian men who are exclusively interested in Asian women is a subject so fraught with political and cultural sensitivity, that even bringing it up has a unique set of metaphorical land mines. Debbie Lum, who has had her own share of run-ins with the Fever, took on what she describes as her worst fears in order to explore what the attraction, almost fetish, that Asian women have for some. What she found was as much an education for her as it is a revelation for the audience. Though her original intent was to interview a cross-section of academics, cultural commentators, and those with the Fever, she instead concentrated on one man, Steven (near left), 60-ish, not rich, and unselfconsciously, rapturously obsessed with Chinese women. Steven, after striking out once, and against all expectations, eventually finds Sandy (middle in wedding dress), a 30-year-old woman willing to come to America and marry him. As Lum observes him through the process of hope and rejection and hope again, she also becomes a character in the documentary, slowly but inexorably becoming an integral part of the courtship and the ensuing period of adjustment as Steven and Sandy get to know each other and contemplate the prospect of being together forever.

I think those who have Yellow Fever are defensive to have it discussed openly.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Lmao!! Do you remember how The Stepford Wives ended? Read the book before I saw the movie. And there are two movies. I thought that there was a moral to that story, correct me if I am in error.
Yes there is a moral - that where women are not vigilent, men will try to turn them into animatronics robots, who will simply obey obey obey.

The book is written by Ira Levin. If the book were written by a female, I'll bet the men in this thread would've jumped on that like flies on flesh.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Yes there is a moral - that where women are not vigilent, men will try to turn them into animatronics robots, who will simply obey obey obey.

The book is written by Ira Levin. If the book were written by a female, I'll bet the men in this thread would've jumped on that like flies on flesh.
And the most recent movie ends with the wives turning the tables and making slaves out of the men. Lol, now everyone is represented equally. I should have clarified what I meant, but I didn't. And am hereby chastised.

I know of a couple towns, in a state bordering mine, where "Stepford wives" actually exist. It is quite frightening to see. What goes on in these places is beyond belief. Very cultish. The deferential smiling, the constant "yes darlings", manner of dress and mannerism. Very surreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies