Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times

Advertisements

Interesting section from the link...

Quote:
International Context

How do U.S. gun ownership or gun crime compare with those in other nations? Although international data collection suffers from the same problems as gathering information about guns in the U.S., most research agrees that civilians in the United States own more firearms both total and per capita than those in any other nation.

The Small Arms Survey in 2007 found not only that U.S. civilians had more total firearms than any other nation (270 million) but also that the rate of ownership (about 90 firearms for every 100 people) was higher than in other countries. “With less than 5 percent of the world’s population, the United States is home to 35-50 per cent of the world’s civilian-owned guns,” according to the survey, which included estimates for 178 countries.

As for gun crime, research has found that the U.S. has a higher gun homicide and overall homicide rate than most developed nations, although the U.S. does not have the world’s highest rate for either. The U.S. does not outrank other developed nations for overall crime, but crimes with firearms are more likely to occur in the U.S. (Van Dijk, et al., 2007).

The United Nations Global Study on Homicide (UNODC, 2011) estimated that 199,000 homicides, or 42% of the 468,000 worldwide total in 2010, were committed by firearm.

According to U.N. statistics, the U.S. firearm homicide rate and overall homicide rate are higher than those in Canada and in Western European and Scandinavian nations, but lower than those in many Caribbean and Latin American countries for which data are available.

Where does the U.S. rank internationally in terms of gun crime of all types? A report that compared 2003-2004 victimization survey data for 30 countries, including most developed nations, found that the U.S. ranked about average in an overall index of common crimes (Van Dijk et al., 2007).

However, the report placed the U.S. among the top countries for attacks involving firearms. “Mexico, the USA and Northern Ireland stand out with the highest percentages gun-related attacks (16%, 6% and 6% respectively).” The U.S. had the highest share of sexual assault involving guns.
The bold and italicized text is done by me for highlighting purposes...

It makes sense; the more guns in circulation, the more likely guns would be used in crimes.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post

It makes sense; the more guns in circulation, the more likely guns would be used in crimes.
Ice cream has no bones...

We have always been more violent. Even when European gun laws were identical to American gun laws we were still more violent.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Well the only way to solve the "violence" problem would be to impose penalties and take away the rights of the folks who obey the laws or at least that is the way they are attacking the problem right now. Sure it makes no sense but that has never stopped liberals before.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Ice cream has no bones...

We have always been more violent. Even when European gun laws were identical to American gun laws we were still more violent.
From the quote...

Quote:
Where does the U.S. rank internationally in terms of gun crime of all types? A report that compared 2003-2004 victimization survey data for 30 countries, including most developed nations, found that the U.S. ranked about average in an overall index of common crimes (Van Dijk et al., 2007).

However, the report placed the U.S. among the top countries for attacks involving firearms.
I don't have access to the report to read; so, I only have excerpts from the link provided by the OP.

How "common crimes" is defined by the report I don't know. But the report seems to refute your claim.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
The world won't be safe until our benevolent government does all our thinking and acting for us. Freedom is so 20th century, please disarm... for the sake of the children.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:

How long did it take you to do the math on that I am wondering? LOL, I don't think anyone is disputing that fact. The more guns there are, the more likely they will be used in a crime, but so what? What does that prove?

If we ban knives or get more of them out of circulation, boy oh boy, watch knife crime drop. It still doesn't adress the underlying issue, which is the person committing the crime. Why such a violent society? The mere presence of guns in a society does not make said society violent, so what does?

Another thing is, guns are here to stay, so peoiple may as well get used to that fact. They aren't going anywhere in this lifetime, or the next several lifetiomes that will follow. What we have the obligation of doing is fuinding a better way of dealing with them in a way that doesn't infringe on peoples right tio own them.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
From the quote...

I don't have access to the report to read; so, I only have excerpts from the link provided by the OP.

How "common crimes" is defined by the report I don't know. But the report seems to refute your claim.
No it doesn't. I'm talking about violent crime, specifically homicide. Homicide is one of the few crimes that is measured the same in just about every country.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
No it doesn't. I'm talking about violent crime, specifically homicide. Homicide is one of the few crimes that is measured the same in just about every country.
Actually no.

I remember reading how in japan there were high rates of suicide, while anti-freedom zealots tried to put to their low homicide rate as an example of how how gun control works.

Turns out, if i'm in japan and kill 100 people and then kill myself they will report 101 suicides and 0 homicides.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Turns out, if i'm in japan and kill 100 people and then kill myself they will report 101 suicides and 0 homicides.
I find that hard to believe

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
So, just pondering....if we took out all the suicides, all the drug related gun killings from Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans area, and a few other select large cities....

What would that bring the total number of guns deaths down too?

And

Where would you anti-gun people be with those numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies