Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Please show me this "social contract".

Your analogy is seriously flawed.

Article 1 Section 8 of the constitution protects one intellectual property.

You're trying to say that since an author didn't invent the alphabet, anyone is entitled to steal their ideas. After all, no one can own words, right?
The social contract is in The Constitution you just quoted for starters. It's in a bunch of other places too.

Seriously, let me know if you can build your own house, grow your own food, or make your own medicine without at the very least "owning" land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Do people have a right to anything?

Let's say: Food, liberty, job, housing, freedom, sex, partner, education.
Liberty - Yes

As to the rest, no, you are not "entitled" to those things - you must earn them.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't do drugs -- in fact if I don't know how something is made, I don't put it in my body.

And to your point -- what is stopping you from doing your own research to come up with some antibiotic? You don't have time or don't have the brains so you need to pay those who did all that work for you. Of course they should not be required to give you the formula when you didn't do the work. You should pay for what you want and stop expecting to live off the backs of others.
We all live off the backs of others. That's the point.

Trying to regulate ownership based on arbitrary inventions like money, methodology, and incentives is foolish for this very reason.

If left to my own devices I could work on my own antibiotic. I'd get "closer" to success than now when I must enter into the social contract to utilize my skills in conjunction with natural resources. But of course smarter folks would do better than me. But this doesn't mean the guy who invents the cure for something didn't use previous knowledge/tools in his field nor does it mean I'm totally useless in the endeavor.

Again, we have to redefine the word "work" in my opinion. When Fleming made his breakthrough with penicillin he went off previous work. He also ate food, drank water, and had a stable structure to work in.

Are you suggesting he should have performed his breakthrough with no lights, no clean water, and in a substandard structure unless we could have put him in a room beforehand to see if he could have spontaneously figured out sanitation, architecture, and invent the light bulb?

Im not trying to be as obtuse or nihilistic as it seems really lol). I'm just tired of everyone trying to keep score in a game with no beginning or end. It's the definition of insanity.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The social contract is in The Constitution you just quoted for starters. It's in a bunch of other places too.

Seriously, let me know if you can build your own house, grow your own food, or make your own medicine without at the very least "owning" land.
I'd like to know how one "owns" land. At best all you do is make rental payments even when the loan is paid in full.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Quote:
Every human being is entitled to quality medicine, food, water, clothing, and shelter...the best available at that time.
Lol and who will be paying for all of this?
Yours is one of the most illogical and retarded posts I have seen today.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Lol and who will be paying for all of this?
Yours is one of the most illogical and retarded posts I have seen today.
I'm not the one who thinks trading unusable cotton, linen fibers, and random minerals found in the earth for food and water is a great deal for the latter trader.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who thinks trading unusable cotton, linen fibers, and random minerals found in the earth for food and water is a great deal for the latter trader.
You and our quick to flee OP have still never answered what the other 1/2 of the social contract would be in order to receive the entitlements?

I watched a show about a group commune where they all participated but eventually had to boot some people out for not pulling their weight.

Occupy had the same problem where the moochers wouldn't help cook or clean....just show up to eat and then go take a nap or whatever.

What should be the RESPONSIBILITIES and REPERCUSSIONS in order to have teh RIGHTS to all of the listed needs? Or can I just lay around and you guys will bring me food, beer and sex etc?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Quote:
Well you avoided answering the question. Who will be paying for all of these things you deem to be "rights"?

Or will they be paid for in buckets of magic unicorn turds?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Do people have a right to anything?

Let's say: Food, liberty, job, housing, freedom, sex, partner, education.

Are any of these things entitlements, or is it all just a big free-for-all, grab what you can, and to hell with everyone else?

Life, Liberty & the pursuit of property.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You and our quick to flee OP have still never answered what the other 1/2 of the social contract would be in order to receive the entitlements?

I watched a show about a group commune where they all participated but eventually had to boot some people out for not pulling their weight.

Occupy had the same problem where the moochers wouldn't help cook or clean....just show up to eat and then go take a nap or whatever.

What should be the RESPONSIBILITIES and REPERCUSSIONS in order to have teh RIGHTS to all of the listed needs? Or can I just lay around and you guys will bring me food, beer and sex etc?
I never avoided the question. You're assuming I know you want or need food, beer, and sex from me. You're assuming we both know what it's worth for me or you to work or receive these things.

Again, we need to start with what we need and want on a personal and societal level and not just get drafted into the social contract. Then we have to decide what we are willing to do on a personal and societal level to attain these things. Until we do that, this is all academic.

I'm willing to talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies