Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Do people have a right to anything?

Let's say: Food, liberty, job, housing, freedom, sex, partner, education.

Are any of these things entitlements, or is it all just a big free-for-all, grab what you can, and to hell with everyone else?
You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You do not have the right to take someone else's money to give it to others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Rights are dictated by power. Which is why it is a colossal mistake for workers to give up power.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You do not have the right to take someone else's money to give it to others
Exactly. You have a right to your life and your property, and that's it. If you wish to use someone else's property or someone else's services they must consent to it. That would include food, health care, sex, computers, et cetera. Those things may be provided by the government and that provision legally guaranteed, but that is a gift or a transaction, not a right.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:

Are any of these things entitlements, or is it all just a big free-for-all, grab what you can, and to hell with everyone else?
No, you do not have a "right" to food (unless you labored for it), no, you don't have the "right" to a job (unless you qualify for it and do the things necessary to keep the job). No, you do not have the "right" to housing, (unless you have earned the cost for housing). You have sexual freedom, but also must assume responsibility for said "right". I don't know how having a partner is or is not a "right". No, you do not have the "right" to education. You must want to take advantage of the system in place in order to become educated....for example, you must put in the effort, show up prepared, show up on time, study and participate. Sitting on your brain in a classroom does not guarantee you to become educated.

You cannot have freedom, or liberty, if others can place claim on your labor for what they perceive as "rights".

My lifestyle was not given to me, my children are both very well educated, my job can go away if I fail to perform, I am and always have been responsible for feeding me and mine. My home is paid for through hard work, many hours on the road and also through my wife's income, who is also very well educated.

But yea....I'm just a big old free for all type guy.

and, to hell with those of you who are fully physically and mentally capable to do for yourselves but place demands on others.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
OP, as I recall, you don't even live in the US.
Why don't you worry about the country you live in?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Rights are dictated by power. Which is why it is a colossal mistake for workers to give up power.
Our "Bill of Rights" as American citizens are unalienable.

They cannot be given or taken.

You do not have those same rights when it comes to wages.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
On THIS board wealth is the greatest and only virtue. Man was placed on earth to amass as many riches as possible. Morality or concern for one's fellows is a character defect to be overcome. And yes, minorities especially only deserved to be trampled. Why do you even ask such a question in this den of ignorance and selfishness?
You either willfully ignore what is written or just have comprehension problems.

I am a very conservative poster and I do not agree with your post. Nor do many others. Nor have I ever seen someone state what you say this board is about.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
In the United States the only right you have is to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Read again: PURSUIT. NOTHING promise's you will be happy, rich, have healthcare, childcare, a good marriage, a house or anything else. The ONLY person who can provide those things for you are YOU.

Indeed. There are no guarantees in life.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
According to leftists on this board, you have the right to taxpayer funded health care, food (including restaurant meals), housing, smartphones, child rearing, computers, internet and transportation. As an individual, you aren't responsible for anything.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

Why don't you READING the Constitution? Your answer is in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies