Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

I see the term “responsible gun owners” used all the time by both sides of the gun issue. Well, I ask, what exactly does “responsible gun ownership” mean? To all those who say the 2nd amendment is about gun ownership for all citizens, where does the responsibility come in to play.? I know some gun owners who, when asked this question, respond “Responsible gun ownership is hitting your target”. And that’s it. That’s as far as they’re willing to go as far as being responsible gun owners.

So I must ask the question. For all you who believe in the 2nd amendment as your guiding principle and own firearms, as a group what responsibilities do you feel you have to society with your gun ownership? Do you or the NRA have ANY responsibility to society at all or is your only responsibility to the 2nd amendment?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I know some gun owners who, when asked this question, respond “Responsible gun ownership is hitting your target”. And that’s it. That’s as far as they’re willing to go as far as being responsible gun owners.
Name one.

Geez, what won't you people fake or make up to support your (unworkable) agenda?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
"Is there such a thing as an intelligent Mexican?"

Seriously, that is the parallel your logic draws.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 05-08-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Name one.

Geez, what won't you people fake or make up to support your (unworkable) agenda?
Thanks for posting in my thread, Litte-Acorn. Simple question. What responsibilities do you consider the gun owner's collectively have to society as a whole? Gun rights advocates always talk about responsible gun ownership. Well, what's you definition of responsible gun ownership as applied to society? I can't be more clear or direct than that. No deflection necessary, sir.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
The golden rules of firearm safety are the responsibilities of gun owners.

1. All guns are always loaded!
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target
  4. Always be sure of your target!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

I agree and adhere to the golden rule. But......what responsibilities do gun owners have to the general society? It seems no one has a clue or just doesn't want to address the fact that owning and carrying around a loaded weapon carries great responsibilities of the owner towards society in general.

I was afraid that the answers from gun owners would be to avoid claiming any responsibility to society and claim the only responsibility is to the physical function of their weapon.

Please! Somebody from the gun advocates prove me wrong.

Last edited by mohawkx; 05-08-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

5. Always make sure your gun stays out of the hands of persons not trained and qualified to use it.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Responsible gun ownership *should* include.

1. Securing the gun in such a way that a child or intruder cannot easily access it.

2. Keeping all guns out of a household that contains a known mentally unstable person (or a person who is starting to show signs of instability or depression) -- even if that person is in your immediate family and had access to the weapon in the past.

3. Using the gun against another person only as a last resort and if law enforcement is unavailable or inadequate.

4. Being properly trained on the use of that weapon.

Unfortunately, many gun owners don't come close to being responsible enough to properly handle a gun and like so many things--laws are needed.

People can't seem to accept that the year isn't 1776 anymore and that our society is now very different.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM

602 posts, read 574,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I agree and adhere to the golden rule. But......what responsibilities do gun owners have to the general society? It seems no one has a clue or just doesn't want to address the fact that owning and carrying around a loaded weapon carries great responsibilities of the owner towards society in general.

I was afraid that the answers from gun owners would be to avoid claiming any responsibility to society and claim the only responsibility is to the physical function of their weapon.
Please somebody from the gun advocates prove me wrong.

Stop fishing.

Their responsibilities to society are the same as every citizen and politician's responsibilities to society.
Other than the safety rules listed already (and adding to secure the gun when not in use/carry) they have the same responsibilities as everyone else.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM

602 posts, read 574,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Responsible gun ownership *should* include.

1. Securing the gun in such a way that a child or intruder cannot easily access it.

2. Keeping all guns out of a household that contains a known mentally unstable person (or a person who is starting to show signs of instability or depression) -- even if that person is in your immediate family and had access to the weapon in the past.

3. Using the gun against another person only as a last resort and if law enforcement is unavailable or inadequate.

4. Being properly trained on the use of that weapon.

Unfortunately, many gun owners don't come close to being responsible enough to properly handle a gun and like so many things--laws are needed.

People can't seem to accept that the year isn't 1776 anymore and that our society is now very different.
That's the thing, though. There are millions more people that are incredibly irresponsible with automobiles, which lead to many, many more deaths. Yet 100% of the focus of certain people is with guns (and not even the ones that are at the root of most murders. They want to ban "bad" looking guns, yet stabbings kill more people each year than rifles/shotguns combined. Handguns are by far the most used weapon in murders)

I do, however, agree with your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies