Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
right out of college is the best time for a burger flipper to buy a home since it's only going to get harder the longer they wait :

CPI Inflation Calculator
You choose to be a burger flipper.
And you wear it like a badge of honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM

45 posts, read 62,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Local governments set tax rates. Homeowners don't pay the same tax that rental properties pay typically there are exemptions only available to homeowners.
In most counties all property is taxed at the same rate. They don't care if you live in or rent it, the owner pays the tax.

Or did you mean the federal income tax deduction for home owners? Yes, the federal government encourages home ownership with a tax deduction for those who purchase homes.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You choose to be a burger flipper.
And you wear it like a badge of honor.

going to school is financially out of reach, so i think i don't have any other options for working.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryNThyme View Post
In most counties all property is taxed at the same rate. They don't care if you live in or rent it, the owner pays the tax.

Or did you mean the federal income tax deduction for home owners? Yes, the federal government encourages home ownership with a tax deduction for those who purchase homes.

??? In half the states. rental property (esp apartments) are taxed at higher levels than owner-occupied homes, it's usually called a omestead deduction. In Michigan, the school property tax rate on rental property is four times the rate on owner-occupied homes, thanks to a "nonhomestead tax".

Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Back in the 60's my parents were college graduates and they couldn't afford to a own a home, even a very small one, until they were in their 30's with two kids. My dh and I were 35 when we bought our first small house and we have advanced degrees. We struggled in our 20's worked hard, lived in group houses, and finally were able to get decent jobs and begin to save money.

Everyone struggles and works hard in their 20's. Why do new college graduates expect something else?
I think the issue is we are seeing lies come to fruition rather than "dealing with tough times." My generation the "dreaded" milliennials were told goto college (as well as gen X and now gen Z), "it helps you have a better life." Many of us post 2008 graduates have guess what, not seen the benefit at all. 50% of recent college graduate can find work, even if it is underemployment. We have been lied to and mortgaged our futures on an education "we needed" but yet we can't do anything with them. Re-read SteelCityRising's post. She is stating the truth. The fact is while it may have been hard for 20-somethings, it is unbearable to 20-something now. Crushing debt, low paying jobs if you can find it and worse off, people who just don't understand saying "Oh we all had tough times, put on your big boy/girl pants."

Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:

I'm talking about exemptions. The tax rate is the same, but homeowners, seniors, disabled vets, etc receive exemptions from property tax. Usually what happens is the state excludes a portion of the home value from taxation. Rental/commercial properties aren't eligible for the exemptions.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the issue is we are seeing lies come to fruition rather than "dealing with tough times." My generation the "dreaded" milliennials were told goto college (as well as gen X and now gen Z), "it helps you have a better life." Many of us post 2008 graduates have guess what, not seen the benefit at all. 50% of recent college graduate can find work, even if it is underemployment. We have been lied to and mortgaged our futures on an education "we needed" but yet we can't do anything with them. Re-read SteelCityRising's post. She is stating the truth. The fact is while it may have been hard for 20-somethings, it is unbearable to 20-something now. Crushing debt, low paying jobs if you can find it and worse off, people who just don't understand saying "Oh we all had tough times, put on your big boy/girl pants."
No way my kids are going to rack up student loans. It is quite possible to work through College and do it without putting yourself or your Parents into the poor house.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
going to school is financially out of reach, so i think i don't have any other options for working.
If you were healthy and child free, (and didn't have other financial responsibilities) you could earn a degree by attending school part time in some states, paid your self while working full time.

But you can't do that can ya?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
What is financially out of reach? There are several meanings to what is financially out of reach. Is it because you don't have the income coming in, do not wish to take out loans, ect.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No way my kids are going to rack up student loans. It is quite possible to work through College and do it without putting yourself or your Parents into the poor house.
I don't blame that logic, the issue is not everyone had the opportunity to take other options. I applaud you for wanting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If you were healthy and child free, (and didn't have other financial responsibilities) you could earn a degree by attending school part time in some states, paid your self while working full time.

But you can't do that can ya?
Associates generally work that way. Universities, not always.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Anybody's opinion change of Occupy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies