Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Would you support a "minimum wage" for a private company to paint the interior of your house?

How about a "minimum wage" paid to roofers?

A "minimum wage" for lawn service, pizza delivery or baby sitting?

A "minimum wage" for any other work that you would have performed at your home?

If so, why?

If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,536 times
As a customer, I am under no obligation to ensure that the employees of the company I do business with receive a certain wage. That is different from being an employer, where minimum wage and other labor laws would come into play.

If I call Acme Painters about painting my house, and they quote me $100 for the job, it does not matter to me if it takes them ten hours or twenty to finish. But in the case of the latter, they are only getting $5 an hour. Since the owner of Acme Painters, if he sends an employee to do the job must pay them minimum wage, he will have to make up the difference out of his own pocket. But that is of no concern to me as the customer.

I think some places require baby sitter to receive minimum wage. I could see that if they were more of a nanny or au pair who was always in the home, but for the occasional Friday night it just doesn't make sense.

What I pay as a customer for a good or service should be between me and the provider of that good or service. Would the government tell a retailer they can't hold a sale because their net sales will not cover the hourly wages of the employees?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
What you are proposing is communism without the government actually owning the means of production.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,486 times
i want the government to put regulator devices in every vehicle, with a tracking system. if you even speed by 1 mile, you automatically get a ticket. it will be text to you. the government will also post it on facebook for you. if you fail to come to a complete stop, ticket. ticket for swerving.
hell, even put a camera in our homes. we must keep our house clean. we must stand on a scale at the fastfood market, the scale weighs us, reads our body fat, takes in what you are trying to order. then the scale approves if you can eat that. this will reduce the use of free heathcare. gotta love big government.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM

796 posts, read 1,161,842 times
Most private construction workers, such as house painters and lawn workers work off the book.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
In a lot of cases, we already do, especially when the taxpayer is the one on the hook to pay for the job. Look up Davis-Bacon act (prevailing wage).

Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
I have known babysitters to make a lot more than minimum wage for a few hours of watching kids.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Would you support a "minimum wage" for a private company to paint the interior of your house?

What the hell would make you EVEN THINK of something like the above???? Been out in the sun too much??

Old 05-12-2013, 12:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

If so, why?

If not, why not?
I bet it's safe to assume you strongly support abolishing the minimum wage.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What you are proposing is communism without the government actually owning the means of production.
There is no government under communism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies