Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I would like to see the providers offer this on their own. I would NOT like to see a law mandating it.

The Internet is changing the game with regard to visual entertainment. Ten years ago, I might have supported this bill. Not today. Today, the cable companies are already losing large numbers of people to Netflix & Hulu. This trend will continue until they give people more choices and lower prices. They will get to an "a la carte" system on their own - no need to force it at the barrel of a gun.
Ditto.
Competition should drive improvements,not wrong headed laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I would like to see the providers offer this on their own. I would NOT like to see a law mandating it.

The Internet is changing the game with regard to visual entertainment. Ten years ago, I might have supported this bill. Not today. Today, the cable companies are already losing large numbers of people to Netflix & Hulu. This trend will continue until they give people more choices and lower prices. They will get to an "a la carte" system on their own - no need to force it at the barrel of a gun.
To some extent I agree, but cable is not a competitive field. The entire industry is basically monopolistic-ally competitive. These cable companies will have contracts with each other that split up regions they provide service to, so there's not much choice in the market.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,950 times
As long as it doesn't raise my cable bill I don't really care.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I would love this. Out of 200 channels there are maybe 20 that I regularly watch. There are a few I would like to watch, but have to jump up to the next package to get those 3 or 4 channels.

I never watch ANY of the 30 or so sports channels, HSN, church channels, etc.
Buy 20 get 180 free. Coming soon to a cable company near you.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM

39,863 posts, read 26,489,397 times
We have Dish and their prices are just stupid. I'm going to work on them, about all we watch there is local news. We have a Roku box, Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime, all of which are nicer to watch than Dish. Even with DVR you still have to FF through the commercials.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
I will be absolutely shocked if this happens. The cable companies have been fighting it since time immemorial.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I don't see why any channels would go out of business under your theory. They wouldn't currently be in business if nobody watched them. The same people watching them now would subscribe to them later, presumably.
Here is the argument against it

If you're spanish and you live in an area that 99.9% of the public speaks english, then no one will pickup the spanish channel and your cable company will not offer it, meaning you dont have anything to watch..

The original theory was by mandating cable companies offer x, y, z, that the minorities would have options not normally open to them.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
To some extent I agree, but cable is not a competitive field. The entire industry is basically monopolistic-ally competitive. These cable companies will have contracts with each other that split up regions they provide service to, so there's not much choice in the market.
I'd love to see open competition for this, along with dsl/cable service.. Our dsl service here sucks and I'm forced to go with cable, which costs me $150 a month for just intenet access (since I need open ports)

Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Here is the argument against it

If you're spanish and you live in an area that 99.9% of the public speaks english, then no one will pickup the spanish channel and your cable company will not offer it, meaning you dont have anything to watch..

The original theory was by mandating cable companies offer x, y, z, that the minorities would have options not normally open to them.
Seriously? I don't have cable , but my parents do and I think there is 1 Spanish music channel. Everything else is in English. Non cable has like 4 Telemundo stations or something like that.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Politicians never let an opportunity get away where they can justify their meddling in commerce... for our own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies