Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times

Advertisements

First of all, CSN?

Second, what a poorly phrased question.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I can't help but wonder when they determined to limit their poll to "college-age students", what did they mean? Only people aged 17 to 21 who were in college? Why limit a poll to students of a certain age? Why not pose the question to college students in general? What about college-age students who aren't in college? Are they included as well? If you're 19 but in high school or in trade school, do you get polled? I'm sorry, but I'm just curious about the polling parameters in this poll, and whether people outside the parameter were polled as well?

My wife is 37 and in college. What does "college age" really mean?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What does "active role in your day to day lives" mean? Do I want the government helping decide what to do for dinner or when I should re-fill my metro card?

Also, the survey was taken by a conservative based group and doesn't specify how it presented its questions.
yeah, I'm sure most people think the pollers were asking if government should decide what to eat.. Do you think people are that dumb?

btw, the questions are here, didnt come anywhere close to your suggestion

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
left wingers replies are priceless, "noo, it just cant be true, everyone knows you need government in your life, that we need to make government bigger, increase taxes etc"..

IF the results are true, there goes the theories that conservatism is dead..

Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
left wingers replies are priceless, "noo, it just cant be true, everyone knows you need government in your life, that we need to make government bigger, increase taxes etc"..

IF the results are true, there goes the theories that conservatism is dead..
Social conservatism is dead. The past several elections, social issues have been the driving factor at the polls. Fiscal conservatism is alive and well but many fiscal conservatives won't even consider voting for the GOP until they stop telling people who love each other they can't get married and stop denying science.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I can't help but wonder when they determined to limit their poll to "college-age students", what did they mean? Only people aged 17 to 21 who were in college? Why limit a poll to students of a certain age? Why not pose the question to college students in general? What about college-age students who aren't in college? Are they included as well? If you're 19 but in high school or in trade school, do you get polled? I'm sorry, but I'm just curious about the polling parameters in this poll, and whether people outside the parameter were polled as well?

College age means college age. Doesn't mean you must be enrolled.

College aged is generally accepted to be the 4 years after highschool age. Roughly 18 to 22, give or take a year.

Why is it when a liberal group runs a poll, it's taken as golden scripture. But when a conservitive group does one, it's clearly a flawed study and people like DC feel the need to ask many pointless questions?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
My wife is 37 and in college. What does "college age" really mean?

Your wife is not college age.

If a 23 year old is still in HighSchool because he's been held back 6 times, would you consider him high school age?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
College age means college age. Doesn't mean you must be enrolled.

College aged is generally accepted to be the 4 years after highschool age. Roughly 18 to 22, give or take a year.

Why is it when a liberal group runs a poll, it's taken as golden scripture. But when a conservitive group does one, it's clearly a flawed study and people like DC feel the need to ask many pointless questions?
College-aged students is the specific group polled. I'm sorry you think it's pointless, but I don't. What's the difference between a college student aged 20, and a college student aged 26? There must be a difference, else the poll wouldn't have restricted the poll to "college-aged"? And "people like DC" ask "pointless questions" of most polls. I've never taken a poll as "golden scripture". I ask pointed questions to try to understand what the pollsters were trying to learn, and who they were trying to learn about.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
College age is generally considered 18-25. Not everybody graduates in just four years, so demographically it usually is cut off at age 25 for studies like this.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
I like how they gave no statistics as to who, how, when or where they conducted this "poll." Gallup got the presidential election wrong and you expect us to believe this turd of a no name poll? Who the hell is YAF? Sounds like you are talking out your yaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies