Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times

Advertisements

I know that when we make an argument, we need to provide data to back up our claims. I'm not exactly sure how far you will get with an argument, if you are using partisan think tanks to back up your claims. I'm very much a liberal, but even I know a republican would never believe anything I say, if I used the Brookings Institute, kaiser foundation, or Thinkprogress.com as my source of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
New rule:

If you think someone has referred to a study or statement etc. that you think does NOT support his point, you are free to refute it.

Go ahead and refute it.

P.S. Calling it names, or calling the people names who wrote it, doesn't cut it.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I know that when we make an argument, we need to provide data to back up our claims. I'm not exactly sure how far you will get with an argument, if you are using partisan think tanks to back up your claims. I'm very much a liberal, but even I know a republican would never believe anything I say, if I used the Brookings Institute, kaiser foundation, or Thinkprogress.com as my source of information.
You need to be suspicions of any data those places spit out, and try to cross verify from independent sources.

You also need to separate opinion from fact, and be sure you are not using false info that has gone viral.

Just because you see the same quotes from numerous web sites and blogs, does not mean they are legit. Sometimes a telltale sign is when the same few, exact quotes are all that appear in site after site, and no originating source can be found.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
the above is codeword for "we reject the immagration paper by Herritage Foundation not on the merits but because we can just cal lthem partisian and they arent our partisan"

snort. How about this, lets not use partisan op/ed as some set of facts when it really is just opinion.

But if a think take puts forward a paper, and backs it with research, lets consider the paper on the merits. I am perfectly fine with poking holes in the research. That is a good thing.

But if it is research, with things like Math and policy etc, then lets look at the merits and not reject it based on source.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
New rule:

If you think someone has referred to a study or statement etc. that you think does NOT support his point, you are free to refute it.

Go ahead and refute it.

P.S. Calling it names, or calling the people names who wrote it, doesn't cut it.
Let me ask you a question, would believe anything that supports liberal positions if it comes from the brookings institute, a liberal think tank?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the above is codeword for "we reject the immagration paper by Herritage Foundation not on the merits but because we can just cal lthem partisian and they arent our partisan"

snort. How about this, lets not use partisan op/ed as some set of facts when it really is just opinion.

But if a think take puts forward a paper, and backs it with research, lets consider the paper on the merits. I am perfectly fine with poking holes in the research. That is a good thing.

But if it is research, with things like Math and policy etc, then lets look at the merits and not reject it based on source.
I highly doubt that you would believe anything coming out of a liberal think tank that supports liberal positions.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Brookings receives its funding from sources, mostly foundation and corporate, which I think defy the application of labels (which would be applied to Brookings). But back to the point: Few polls/studies are truly unbiased. Most have been commissioned by organizations which have a hand in formulating the questions asked and in how the final reports are written. Where someone's credibility or claims can be questioned validly is when they only and always quote reports or surveys from sources which exclusively represent a certain viewpoint.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
New rule ? LOL.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Let me ask you a question, would believe anything that supports liberal positions if it comes from the brookings institute, a liberal think tank?
What did they say?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
I highly doubt that you would believe anything coming out of a liberal think tank that supports liberal positions.
I have in fact used information from Liberal think tanks to make my points.

I will absolutly reject out of hand opinion-used-as-facts when it comes form a liberal outlet.

however, I have many times in this forum debated the merits of studies I disagreed with, without rejecting the study because i dont like the source.

In fact, I did that yesterday discussing the subject of guns and suicide. It was an interesting discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies