Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
That's the SOP in the UK. Which is why I don't look across the pond for inspiration.
And that's part of what I'm saying. That SHOULD be looked at. Many countries have seen success by banning all firearms. I don't agree with this, BUT it should be considered.
We are not doing something right. Whether it's the government or our citizens, whatever it is. When we see as much violence & murder in this country as we do SOMETHING IS WRONG. Again, I don't think the idea of banning all guns is the right answer, but if it's working elsewhere maybe we should consider it. Maybe if every single man, woman and child had a gun everyone would be too scared to try anything ( I don't believe this either btw, I think if everyone had a gun we'd all be dead) but still THAT too should be considered. After Newtown and Aurora and all of the other gun murders in this country NOTHING should be off the table of discussion.

Of course, I know, this is AMERICA so we are not going to put much thought into anything, we're going to have one side tell their followers that the other side is trying to force their way upon them and they musn't let them and nothing will be accomplished. BAU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I suppose some would but many wouldn't. It's hard to kill people without a gun. Especially lots of people at once. Hard to have a drive by knife throwing or to kill an innocent bystander without a gun. How many innocent bystanders are killed without guns in this country? Probably almost none.
False. I've had two close friends murdered. One was stabbed to death, the other was killed with the murder's fists. No guns. Every DWI that has ended with vehicular manslaughter has been an innocent bystander killed.

Quote:
By the way, you ever wonder why almost nobody dies on airplanes from guns even though millions of people fly every year? Simple, guns are not allowed on planes. But according to your logic there should be tons of gun deaths on planes.
And yet a few terrorists on 4 planes killed nearly 3,000 people on 9/11, and not a single gun was used.

Honestly, if we could eliminate every gun from our country overnight, we'd see less murder, but certainly not a complete elimination. And we'd also open ourselves up to a danger far greater, so we won't do that, even if it was possible.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
And that's part of what I'm saying. That SHOULD be looked at. Many countries have seen success by banning all firearms. I don't agree with this, BUT it should be considered.
We are not doing something right. Whether it's the government or our citizens, whatever it is. When we see as much violence & murder in this country as we do SOMETHING IS WRONG. Again, I don't think the idea of banning all guns is the right answer, but if it's working elsewhere maybe we should consider it. Maybe if every single man, woman and child had a gun everyone would be too scared to try anything ( I don't believe this either btw, I think if everyone had a gun we'd all be dead) but still THAT too should be considered. After Newtown and Aurora and all of the other gun murders in this country NOTHING should be off the table of discussion.

Of course, I know, this is AMERICA so we are not going to put much thought into anything, we're going to have one side tell their followers that the other side is trying to force their way upon them and they musn't let them and nothing will be accomplished. BAU.
Northern Ireland has pretty relaxed gun laws compared to most of the UK, yet they don't have outragous gun murders there. It's a cultural thing, not a # of guns thing.

As is typical, it's quality, not quantity that's the problem.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
False. I've had two close friends murdered. One was stabbed to death, the other was killed with the murder's fists. No guns. Every DWI that has ended with vehicular manslaughter has been an innocent bystander killed.

And yet a few terrorists on 4 planes killed nearly 3,000 people on 9/11, and not a single gun was used.

Honestly, if we could eliminate every gun from our country overnight, we'd see less murder, but certainly not a complete elimination. And we'd also open ourselves up to a danger far greater, so we won't do that, even if it was possible.
Well, that's sad but also just anecdotal. You can't extrapolate much from two murders. Also, as the evidence shows, 2/3 of murders are with guns not 100%. Obviously a third of murders occur without a gun. So we could potentially reduce murders by 2/3.

And 3000 people died on 9/11 because of a hijacking and kamakazi mission. What does that have to do with what I said about no one dying on planes from guns? That's some pretty specious logic there.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default Gun crime has plunged, but Americans think it's up, says study

It's probably been said already many times but the whole great American gun freakout was a crooked, contrived and staged event.

The anti-gun people were quietly waiting for some terrible random shooting event so they could unleash their entire preconceived massive propaganda machine in a $h!#storm of false information, drama, using a real tragedy as a "booster rocket" to get it off the ground. They hoped to manipulate large numbers of people's opinions back to favor their agenda, which has been loosing ground since the original AWB...

...And it failed because people in general just aren't as stupid anymore. The media tried so hard to convince everyone that America overwhelmingly wanted more restrictions but they forgot that many have broken away from the influence of Mass Media and are thinking for themselves these days.

Those who didn't get swept up in all the hoopla already knew gun crime was on the downslide, and the lower it goes the less we need gun control in any form, which is bad news for gun-grabber agenda.

It will probably continue to fall as our society (while still far too violent) is actually becoming less violent over time.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's probably been said already many times but the whole great American gun freakout was a crooked, contrived and staged event.

The anti-gun people were quietly waiting for some terrible random shooting event so they could unleash their entire preconceived massive propaganda machine in a $h!#storm of false information, drama, using a real tragedy as a "booster rocket" to get it off the ground. They hoped to manipulate large numbers of people's opinions back to favor their agenda, which has been loosing ground since the original AWB...

...And it failed because people in general just aren't as stupid anymore. The media tried so hard to convince everyone that America overwhelmingly wanted more restrictions but they forgot that many have broken away from the influence of Mass Media and are thinking for themselves these days.

Those who didn't get swept up in all the hoopla already knew gun crime was on the downslide, and the lower it goes the less we need gun control in any form, which is bad news for gun-grabber agenda.

It will probably continue to fall as our society (while still far too violent) is actually becoming less violent over time.
Queitly waiting for some terrible random shooting? Are you kidding? How long do you have to wait for a terrible random shooting in this country? An hour or two?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:

This is a good example of what I'm talking about in some of my previous posts. If one "side" is so willing to just brush off the other as "they were waiting for something tragic to happen and then they jumped on it so they could try to get their agenda passed" we are doomed.

Chango, did it ever occur to you that people saw the tragic events and thought "SOMETHING has to be done! We shouldn't have this type of stuff happen here!" and then from that initial reaction they went with their own conclusion of what would help to put an end to it?

Because that's most likely what happened. Not everything is propogandas and agendas, some things are just real emotional and logical reactions to real events that really happen. That's not as easy to deal with, absolutley, but it's impossible to deal with if we all live in a world of hyperbole, and political tug of wars.

...or I could have just said this:
Quote:
Queitly waiting for some terrible random shooting? Are you kidding? How long do you have to wait for a terrible random shooting in this country? An hour or two?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
So do you live every moment in fear that a random crazy person is gonna burst into the room and start shooting? That's what the mass-media apparently wants us to believe is the case... and that we need to save ourselves by giving up yet more personal freedoms.

The truth is the average person's chances of being in such a predicament are less than being struck by lightning and the odds are dropping every year! You've officially been jerked around!

Bad things have and will always happen, but the threat is not anywhere near as dire as some people would like you to believe, and exchanging freedom for promises of safety from an astronomically distant threat is not a smart trade.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
This is a good example of what I'm talking about in some of my previous posts. If one "side" is so willing to just brush off the other as "they were waiting for something tragic to happen and then they jumped on it so they could try to get their agenda passed" we are doomed.

Chango, did it ever occur to you that people saw the tragic events and thought "SOMETHING has to be done! We shouldn't have this type of stuff happen here!" and then from that initial reaction they went with their own conclusion of what would help to put an end to it?

Because that's most likely what happened. Not everything is propogandas and agendas, some things are just real emotional and logical reactions to real events that really happen. That's not as easy to deal with, absolutley, but it's impossible to deal with if we all live in a world of hyperbole, and political tug of wars.

...or I could have just said this:
... OR you could have said: "AHHH! I'm scared! I'll do anything to be safe!!! Hurry, let's do something... anything!!!"

Old 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
So do you live every moment in fear that a random crazy person is gonna burst into the room and start shooting? That's what the mass-media apparently wants us to believe is the case... and that we need to save ourselves by giving up yet more personal freedoms.

The truth is the average person's chances of being in such a predicament are less than being struck by lightning and the odds are dropping every year! You've officially been jerked around!

Bad things have and will always happen, but the threat is not anywhere near as dire as some people would like you to believe, and exchanging freedom for promises of safety from an astronomically distant threat is not a smart trade.
Wait, I really can't tell. Are you opposed to stricter gun laws or not. Because what those of us who even mention the idea of stricter gun policies are usually told is that everyone should own a gun so that they can protect themselves. Yet your comments here show that most people have nothing to be afraid of, therefore the ideas of gun regulation should be of no concern whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies