Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I can answer that! Republicans. They've been f'g with public education for 30+ years with the sole intent of destroying it. An uneducated citizenry WILL most assuredly vote Republican. An educated citizenry will not.

I agreed with you up until this-so NY spends the most on education and kids can't even read....

I believe it's the liberal BS that is destroying the educational system...

Yes, I come from a family of service sector jobs (Teachers, Nurses, Police Officers, and a lawyer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I agreed with you up until this-so NY spends the most on education and kids can't even read....

Yes, I come from a family of service sector jobs (Teachers, Nurses, Police Officers, and a lawyer).
I lived in Queens when I was a kid, and I have a friend and a family member up there. Who is it that can't read? I mean, when my mom and dad were growing up in their country some people couldn't read. When I was growing up, some kids couldn't read and write as well as others. Same today. I'm not clear on what you are referring to.

However, I AM clear on the intent of the Republican Party to trash public education in every way possible, until there is no such thing as public education.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
I lived in Queens when I was a kid, and I have a friend and a family member up there. Who is it that can't read? I mean, when my mom and dad were growing up in their country some people couldn't read. When I was growing up, some kids couldn't read and write as well as others. Same today. I'm not clear on what you are referring to.

However, I AM clear on the intent of the Republican Party to trash public education in every way possible, until there is no such thing as public education.
It was in the news.

Shocker: 80% of NYC graduates unable to read ? RT USA

Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Where was Silent Bob while his friend Jay was ranting?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Where was Silent Bob while his friend Jay was ranting?
He was busy furthering his education in a higher learning institute while Jay is too busy being mad at a teacher because he dropped out as a freshman.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
good job kid please just get a haircut though.
I was actually thinking he could donate that hair to cancer victims (great color btw). I've had mixed thoughts about this video. Of course, he was out of line. However, I do believe what he said was correct. Hopefully, they can all learn from the situation and make improvements.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Okay, I read the article! Thanks!

Here's where the statistics came from for that:

Quote:
Critics
Quote:
pointed out that just 13 percent of black and Latino students graduate from New York City schools with the skills required for community college – and overall, 80 percent of all graduates lack these skills.
Hmm

Who the hell is "Critics???"

Anyway, here's one of the people who opposes Cuomo, Zakyah Ansari, which the article quoted:

Quote:
“He will be remembered as the Mayor of Education Failure, and his final speech ignored that reality. He has harmed our communities and families, and we cannot wait to see a new mayor replace him,” parent Zakiyah Ansari of New Yorkers for Great Public Schools told the New York Daily News.
She is Advocacy Director for Alliance for Quality Education, which seeks to send NYC's education money to the most poverty-stricken schools in NYC, which are the ones that have the biggest reading problems (as is the case everywhere - poverty breeds bad stuff and no one gives equal funds to poverty schools). She wants more money for poor schools. That's what she wants. She believes that funds will help education in the poor areas. However, the article only reported on her because she trashed Cuomo.

Apparently CBS2 says that CUNY now has an overpreponderance of people who can't read. (Officials: NYC High School Students Entering CUNY Need Remedial Help « CBS New York)

But here's the coup de grace, the article that will prove that this article you posted, and CBS2 either pulled these stats out of their *****, or white people have dumbed themselves down in a big way. In 2000, CUNY began to clamp down on minorities entering college. They require higher SAT scores than they did before 2000. There are now less blacks and Hispanics admitted, and more Asians than before 2000. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/ny...anted=all&_r=0

SO, that being the case, what's the real story? Have whites and Asians in NY been dumbed down beyond all recognition?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Why is he wearing the same clothes in the interview that he was wearing in class??

18 year old sophomore??

Get a job loser, buy a second pair of clothes.
He said he dropped out and returned to high school, give him a break. At least he is doing something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

NY doesn't care, they just want you to pass tests. I went to school for 15 years in New York, I know the system of regents.

Quote:
She is Advocacy Director for Alliance for Quality Education, which seeks to send NYC's education money to the most poverty-stricken schools in NYC, which are the ones that have the biggest reading problems (as is the case everywhere - poverty breeds bad stuff and no one gives equal funds to poverty schools). She wants more money for poor schools. That's what she wants. She believes that funds will help education in the poor areas. However, the article only reported on her because she trashed Cuomo.

Apparently CBS2 says that CUNY now has an overpreponderance of people who can't read. (Officials: NYC High School Students Entering CUNY Need Remedial Help « CBS New York)

But here's the coup de grace, the article that will prove that this article you posted, and CBS2 either pulled these stats out of their *****, or white people have dumbed themselves down in a big way. In 2000, CUNY began to clamp down on minorities entering college. They require higher SAT scores than they did before 2000. There are now less blacks and Hispanics admitted, and more Asians than before 2000. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/ny...anted=all&_r=0

SO, that being the case, what's the real story? Have whites and Asians in NY been dumbed down beyond all recognition?
I am pretty sure many schools require higher SAT scores. FYI, if minorities want to go to college, community college doesn't require SATs and guess what, when they graduate and transfer to four year schools, neither would the university. Many people do this, particularly now with the costs of college being so expensive. I remember when I went to a SUNY in 2005, it was $20,000 a year to go to it with room and board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies