Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,381,054 times

Advertisements

Whoever agrees with 12K/month for maintenance is out of their freakin mind.

It does not matter what lifestyle she was used to during the marriage. The marriage has ended. He is no longer responsible for her, he is only responsible for his kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
When the complaining is coming from women, I think a lot of it is sour grapes. They wanted to stay home because it sounds WONDERFUL and they didn't get the chance.
Au contraire. I never wanted to stay home, I never thought it would be WONDERFUL, and I loathed every second of it. I couldn't WAIT to go back to work. I was ready to hang myself.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
It's not about what anyone deserves. These decisions are based on income and assets. I'm sure if it was about what she deserves he would think $2 would be too much...which he does and that's why his a** is in jail.
Exactly. It's not his right to determine what he thinks he should give her.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Whoever agrees with 12K/month for maintenance is out of their freakin mind.

It does not matter what lifestyle she was used to during the marriage. The marriage has ended. He is no longer responsible for her, he is only responsible for his kids.
Wrong. Marriage is a contract. He got his benefits. Obviously he didn't think it was a contract. Too bad, so sad. These a-holes really make me angry. I'm glad he got his face out there, in case he ever decides to date - people will be able to warn his date what a piece of scum he is.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
I am a woman, and a feminist and this is beyond bs. Alimony in most cases is just legal extortion plain and simple. I understand giving temporary alimony to a spouse who stayed out of the workforce to raise kids but then re enters the workforce or for those who are too old to become employable. I do not support it otherwise.

This is partly why I avoid divorced dads like the plague because many end up paying for their ex wife and the new wife often has to help support this lazy dead weight too.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Au contraire. I never wanted to stay home, I never thought it would be WONDERFUL, and I loathed every second of it. I couldn't WAIT to go back to work. I was ready to hang myself.
I agree with you. Being as housewife is no dream job. Raising kids is no dream job. Where do these people get that being home taking care of a house and kids is some luxury thing? If they really believed that, they'd find a way to plant their *****es home too, but they don't because they know better.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM

[quote=Idon'tdateyou;29509446]I am a woman, and a feminist and this is beyond bs. Alimony in most cases is just legal extortion plain and simple. I understand giving temporary alimony to a spouse who stayed out of the workforce to raise kids but then re enters the workforce or for those who are too old to become employable. I do not support it otherwise.

I would put money on it that you're a right winger. I'm right, huh?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
That's another thing American men should be aware of - if your marriage does fall apart, there will be those who cheer your downfall, and regard it with glee. Sometimes the best way to win is not to play the game in the first place...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I would put money on it that you're a right winger. I'm right, huh?
Actually, no but what does that have to do with anything? I just feel women need to stand on their own two feet.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Her pay out was $768K over 6 years. It all depends on his income and how long they were married to know if that's reasonable or not.

It makes me nuts when people complain about alimony in situations where one spouse stayed at home and the other makes a very high income. The reason one spouse is usually home is to make it possible for the other spouse to work 24/7 to build their career. It's a sacrifice by the stay at home spouse, usually because it makes everyone else's life easier to have a 24/7 "wife and mom" to keep things running, even if it's not a whole lot of fun for mom, and she winds up taking care of EVERYTHING that both spouses normally cover together. When the complaining is coming from women, I think a lot of it is sour grapes. They wanted to stay home because it sounds WONDERFUL and they didn't get the chance. The reality is spending half your time in the car hauling kids, and the other half doing laundry, running errands, making sure home work is done, and cooking/cleaning. I was home when my kids were little, and although I adore them, I couldn't wait for them to get older so I could go back to work and spend my days with grownups. I stayed at home because it made life for my FAMILY easier--it was a lot of hard work for me, and it set back my own career. I'd LOVE to have a stay at home wife to take care of everything for me. It stinks to be one.
I have never desired to be a stay at home mom and many of the ones I know are simply too lazy to work. If a spouse stays at home they should be cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids, running errands etc but many that I know often do little or nothing of these. Many even have a maid and nanny while they go shopping and to the gym (saw this with a relative). Other sahms I knew didn't cook or clean and expect their husband to do those because they are spending the day on the computer.

Those who truly work hard at home I respect but I still don't feel they deserve a lifetime of alimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies