Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Texas
5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Reputation: 2971

Advertisements

Simple ITAR compliance bureau-crapese. There won't be any reason to stop the Defense Distributed pistol, but it (Gov't) can simply wait it out until it becomes financially unfeasible to proceed.

Cody Wilson knew that this could/would happen. Listen to his 60 min. interview. Hopefully with pressure and media the UDDTC & it's sub con's will move quickly (2-3 years). Most of this is to allow their "certified" contractors to peruse the design(s) and come up to speed with a competitive product. See Dyncorp LLC and it's parent company Delta Tucker HOldins. The US "foreign" distributor for national security & foreign policy objectives. Or in plain speak, ONE of the licensed weapons dealers of the U.S. Gov't.

It's not personal...it's just business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Simple ITAR compliance bureau-crapese. There won't be any reason to stop the Defense Distributed pistol, but it (Gov't) can simply wait it out until it becomes financially unfeasible to proceed.

Cody Wilson knew that this could/would happen. Listen to his 60 min. interview. Hopefully with pressure and media the UDDTC & it's sub con's will move quickly (2-3 years). Most of this is to allow their "certified" contractors to peruse the design(s) and come up to speed with a competitive product. See Dyncorp LLC and it's parent company Delta Tucker HOldins. The US "foreign" distributor for national security & foreign policy objectives. Or in plain speak, ONE of the licensed weapons dealers of the U.S. Gov't.

It's not personal...it's just business.
They have no business objecting. I can download plans for a nuclear bomb from the Internet. So there is no valid reason why they would choose to block a downloadable firearm. It has absolutely nothing to do with an import or export license requirements. That is just the excuse they manufactured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
 
9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They have no business objecting. I can download plans for a nuclear bomb from the Internet. So there is no valid reason why they would choose to block a downloadable firearm. It has absolutely nothing to do with an import or export license requirements. That is just the excuse they manufactured.
Its already out there. The government is too late . If it hits tribler is gone forever.

Seems like technology still has one up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Reputation: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Reality check: How many people are going to spend $8000 on a 3-D printer so that they can make a cheap junk plastic gun?
I could build several thousand single shot muzzle loading pistols for that kind of money!
Or, I could get a good used milling machine and a lathe, and build REAL guns! A .45 ACP M3A1 "grease gun" submachine gun is VERY easy to build!
I think this is much ado about nothing. The plastic gun has novelty value, and not much else. "HEY, man, look what I did! It only cost $8000 for the printer, and I can make all of them I want!"
Yeah, right...

I have one at work, but don't think I'd bother making a plastic gun. When the technology evolves to metallics, then I'll pay attention.

This is like the RIAA thinking they can prevent piracy. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Reputation: 6041
Ronald Reagan made it illegal to create any gun that isnt detectable by a medal detector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: MS
4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Reputation: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its already out there. The government is too late . If it hits tribler is gone forever.

Seems like technology still has one up.
It's already been seeded for torrents and being passed around to as many people as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
 
9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Ronald Reagan made it illegal to create any gun that isnt detectable by a medal detector.
Why ordinary citizens are disallowed weapons that the government says should be freely given the citizens of Middle Eastern countries? What makes the government think they are better qualified to be armed rather than ordinary citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
 
Location: MS
4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Reputation: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Does this prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?
Not at all. There is a site selling 80% AR-15 lowers for $25 each, shipped to your door. Add in their $50 template for drilling, a few tools and you have the beginning of a DIY rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
 
9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Not at all. There is a site selling 80% AR-15 lowers for $25 each, shipped to your door. Add in their $50 template for drilling, a few tools and you have the beginning of a DIY rifle.
Next up printing 3d bullets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Reputation: 6041
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why ordinary citizens are disallowed weapons that the government says should be freely given the citizens of Middle Eastern countries? What makes the government think they are better qualified to be armed rather than ordinary citizens?
The American Government not having jurisdiction over countries in the Middle East is not the same as saying we agree with their laws.

why exactly are you trying to equate the 2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top