Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL, that on occasion there were legitimate investigations is not in question. None of the groups that were aligned with Obama's positions were targeted.
If there were legitimate investigations 2/3 of the time, that's a little more than "on occasion". None of the conservative groups were denied their tax exempt status, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If there were legitimate investigations 2/3 of the time, that's a little more than "on occasion". None of the conservative groups were denied their tax exempt status, either.
They were targeted and asked questions that are illegal for the I.R.S. to ask.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No. He fired a guy because that guy was responsible for making sure the agency didn't use bias in any of it's operations. The fact that profiling was implemented may be the responsibility of the "rogue" workers. The fact that profiling continued to be implemented for eighteen months is the responsibility of management. This was a failure of management. And as I've said before, everyone involved, the workers and their managers, should be fired. But managers should be penalized further, because they should have understood why the profiling was wrong, and should have stopped it immediately.
Like I said..we'll see which heads roll.
Firing a guy that was leaving next month really doesn't mean much.

"I don't remember" is what got told to Congress today.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Report: IRS Deliberately Chose Not to Fess Up to Scandal Before Election

The IRS commissioner "has known for at least a year that this was going on," said Myers, "and that this had happened. And did he share any of that information with the White House? But even more importantly, Congress is going to ask him, why did you mislead us for an entire year? Members of Congress were saying conservatives are being targeted. What's going on here? The IRS denied it. Then when -- after these officials are briefed by the IG that this is going on, they don't disclose it. In fact, the commissioner sent a letter to Congress in September on this subject and did not reveal this. Imagine if we -- if you can -- what would have happened if this fact came out in September 2012, in the middle of a presidential election? The terrain would have looked very different."

Note, NBC reporting.

Report: IRS Deliberately Chose Not to Fess Up to Scandal Before Election | The Weekly Standard

Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wasn't trying to debate or arguing that it was political.

I was pointing out that people already got fired and the IRS already admitted guilt.
And that the Dems can't seen to get their heads around having already admitted guilt.
If the IRS admitted guilt then I am assuming they did do something wrong and to target right wing groups certainly is political in nature.

What was proven wrong ?

I go by what I've read in the press. Pick any 2 sites and you'll read two different stories on the same issue.
If I read Huffpost it says one thing and if I read Fox it says another.

Who the hell knows what's the truth anymore ?
Admitting guilt and admitting motive are 2 completely different things. Which I have already explained to you. I dont know if you just dont understand or if you are purposefully doing this because you dont want to dmit that you are wrong.

The IRS admitted guilt based on a system that inadvertently targeted conservative groups. In response, a full YEAR before the media even knew about this, the IRS corrected their own mistake by changing that system.

They never once said they did it because they wanted to hurt conservative groups(which are what your comments are claiming), so you are wrong.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Except the "leader" wasn't fired. She was given another job (in charge of implementing ObamaCare, as if that's not terrifying enough), and therefore was under the delusion that she could avoid scrutiny.

It doesn't matter that they eventually got their exempt status. They weren't treated equally under the law, which is against the Constitution.

You lefties that think this is OK (because, face it, you want those groups to go away) should remember that if it happens to conservative groups, it could happen to "your" group in the future.
Another conservative President Obamaspiracy.

Again, I said anyone in government who doesn't treat people fairly doesn't need to be in government, and should be fired.

It seems to me that during the election season a bunch of tea party conservative groups applied for tax exempt status.

The IRS is charged with investigating these claims. So questions are going to be asked. Those organizations were new and I think the process to determine if they could legally gain that tax exempt status was confusing. I think red flags were raised because so many groups with similar sounding names were applying, and at some level of the IRS they attempted to deal with that issue.

The other issue though is that nearly all of these 501C organizations are lying to the IRS. Everyone knows that they aren't non political as required by law to get tax exempt status.

These political parties are getting government handouts on out right falsehoods.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They were targeted and asked questions that are illegal for the I.R.S. to ask.
Which questions are illegal for the IRS to ask? The Inspector General considered some of the questions inappropriate and overly invasive. What questions were illegal?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Admitting guilt and admitting motive are 2 completely different things. Which I have already explained to you. I dont know if you just dont understand or if you are purposefully doing this because you dont want to dmit that you are wrong.

The IRS admitted guilt based on a system that inadvertently targeted conservative groups. In response, a full YEAR before the media even knew about this, the IRS corrected their own mistake by changing that system.

They never once said they did it because they wanted to hurt conservative groups(which are what your comments are claiming), so you are wrong.
I don't care about motive. What part of that don't you get ?
I care about getting the IRS cleaned up.

I don't vote D or R at the national level so I could give a crap about which party comes out smelling like roses.

Find out all who did this from the workers up to the person initiating this and fire all of them and take legal action against them. Send a message loud and clear.

A left administration targeting right groups is what the headline say today.
If nothing is done and this is left to get forgotten then it could be a right administration targeting left groups in the future.

Do you understand that I don't care about the politics and motive ?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:

Find out all who did this from the workers up to the person initiating this and fire all of them and take legal action against them. Send a message loud and clear.

If nothing is done and this is left to get forgotten then it could be a right administration targeting left groups in the future.

Yet you are assigning motive in your headline. It seems you don't understand the meaning of the words you are using to discuss this issue.

The Treasury investigated this incident. They have a report. No where in that report is there any mention of targeting conservatives, or attempting to hurt conservatives, or anything of the sort. You are going to witch hunt people and impugn their motives and deny that you are impugning their motives.

A mistake can be made in the IRS or the government and it not be a nefarious plot, bad management and bad policy can happen without it being a President Obamaspiracy.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:

I don't vote D or R at the national level so I could give a crap about which party comes out smelling like roses.

If you you dont care about motive then why exactly do you keep claiming that they admitted to motive that they have specifically said they didnt do ? The easiest way to to back up what you just said is to stop making the claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies