Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,448,413 times

Advertisements

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/30/former-irs-chief-shulman-reportedly-visited-white-house-at-least-157-times/

http://a57.foxnews.com/www.foxnews.c...530_150446.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-30-2013 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Since the Organizing for Action group applied in 2008, their application is irrelevant. The applications in question happened after the Citizens United Decision was handed down, and the IRS was besieged with new applications.
Please, I ask this for your own good. Please stop rehashing things that have been proven to be false. The numbers have been posted, there was no increase in new applications.

There Was No Surge in IRS Tax-Exempt Applications in 2010 - Garance Franke-Ruta - The Atlantic

I'm sure my pleas here will not go headed though.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,738,360 times
GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well, DC was citing the actual Law, you cite the IRS procedures as had been modified to replace "exclusively" with "primarily". But in any case, "Political Education" .. ??? ... Bhwaaaaa, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
I cite right from the IRS. My section is listed right below what he posted. You may believe the reasons that politicians allowed those who pimp for them to be tax exempt is a joke but all the same, it's what the government allows.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,448,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out.
Absolute truth and facts! Someone is going to prison!!! And probably a lot of Dims will be, considering how corrupt scumbag Obama and his administration is. Hahaha!!!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,879,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We all know your Right Wing Rant , but considering the tax exempt status of so many half baked religions over the years, I see targeting them directly as a good thing. . There have been many books about how to set up sham "churches", how to rake in the cash and how to avoid taxes altogether....Its been a long while but I vividly remember a book I bought on about how to incorporate , off shore accounts, and the Religion connection. Wish I could remember who wrote that book.
Before you get your shorts in a wad, remember that these scams early on came out of the Liberal side. I remember well when it was the Liberals that were defending all the evangelical groups that started springing up in the South.I spent many years in the hills of western North Carolina/ South Carolina . At the voting booth most of the locals were registered Democrats, ...they were just not so Liberal as I was when it came to their religion which they wore on the sleeve.... Jesse Helms was the great turn around elected official who ran the show for a very long time. He switched sides..as did Strom Thermon. . Green-ville, SC was a hot bed for the religious right as many were starting to label them. There was several churches along my route from home to Greenville , several were those that used poison snakes as an important part of their teaching., and that is only half if it !
I've heard it said many times that the "religious right" of today is actually the democratic party of years ago.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,879,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is no evidence that the IRS targeted citizens for their political beliefs. The IRS targeted liberal groups as well. They also didn't "audit" these groups. The IRS has a duty to assure that the applications for tax exempt status are legitimate, which means they have a right to question the applicant.

New Audit Allegations Show Flawed Statistical Thinking - NYTimes.com
Only that they admitted and apologized for doing it.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,404,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
There is no evidence that the IRS targeted citizens for their political beliefs. The IRS targeted liberal groups as well. They also didn't "audit" these groups. The IRS has a duty to assure that the applications for tax exempt status are legitimate, which means they have a right to question the applicant.

New Audit Allegations Show Flawed Statistical Thinking - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Only that they admitted and apologized for doing it.
MTAtechs claim is the second time I heard this attempt today. It must be the liberal media giving them talking points but they hope that libs forget that the IRS admitted to targeting conservative groups and apologized for it.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,346,465 times
Quote:
State of the Union Address (January 27, 2010)

Barack Obama

It's time to require lobbyists to disclose each contact they make on behalf of a client, with my administration or with Congress. It's time to put strict limits on the contributions that lobbyists give to candidates for Federal office. With all due deference to separation of powers, last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests, including foreign corporations, to spend without limit in our elections. I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities.
State of the Union Address (January 27, 2010)

Quote:
By ERIC LICHTBLAU

Published: October 6, 2010

WASHINGTON — With growing scrutiny of the role of tax-exempt groups in political campaigns, Congressional Republicans are pushing back against Democrats by warning about the possible misuse of the Internal Revenue Service to audit conservative groups.

Senator Baucus, the Democrat who leads the Finance Committee, asked the I.R.S. last week to conduct a broad review into “major” tax-exempt organizations to determine if any were misusing their tax-exempt status. Tax-exempt groups are banned from engaging in politics as their “primary” activity.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/us...ics/07irs.html

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 12, 2012
SENATE DEMOCRATS URGE IRS TO IMPOSE STRICT CAP ON POLITICAL SPENDING BY NONPROFIT GROUPS—VOW LEGISLATION IF AGENCY DOESN’T ACT

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A group of seven Senate Democrats urged the Internal Revenue Service on Monday to impose a strict cap on the amount of political spending by tax-exempt, nonprofit groups.

The senators said the lack of clarity in the IRS rules has allowed political groups to improperly claim 501(c)4 status and may even be allowing donors to these groups to wrongly claim tax deductions for their contributions. The senators promised legislation if the IRS failed to act to fix these problems.
Senator Charles E. Schumer

Quote:
You read that correctly.

The same Democratic chairman of the Senate Finance Committee who this week is calling for hearings into IRS activities, specifically called on the IRS to engage in that very conduct back in 2010. And he wasn't the only one. Just last year, a group of seven Senate Democrats sent another letter to the IRS urging them to similarly investigate these outside political organizations.
As the New York Times also reported just one week before they sent this letter:
The Internal Revenue Service is caught in an election-year struggle between Democratic lawmakers pressing for a crackdown on nonprofit political groups and conservative organizations accusing the tax agency of conducting a politically charged witch hunt.
Senate Democrats Pushed for IRS Tea Party Snooping Before Criticizing It - Brian Walsh (usnews.com)
Quote:
Fortunately, voters won't need to look very far.The willful ignorance and revisionist history demonstrated by Senate Democrats on this issue has been breathtaking, even by Washington standards.
Shoo fly, shoo.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,882,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
MTAtechs claim is the second time I heard this attempt today. It must be the liberal media giving them talking points but they hope that libs forget that the IRS admitted to targeting conservative groups and apologized for it.
They should have made their case, not so difficult , evidenced by the posts here on CD.......the problem everyone points to is " profiling ", which has become politicaly incorrect .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies