Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes it's a good field and takes some dedication, bet your sister put in some long hours and hard work to get to her position. All these college students think they can walk off the street and get that salary with a 9 to 5 job.

Most of those yahoo articles are advertisements or plugs in disguise. I saw links and pop-ups to correspondence college programs (Debrie (sp), etc). I wouldn't be suprised if you clicked on the links and see - LOOK - correspondance courses to teaching, phyiscal therapy, resteraunt manager, etc...just mail in your money.
Good points.

Yeah, my sister was having trouble finding a PT to replace someone that left.
(It's a more rural area). Anyway, she remarked that at highschool graduations she kept seeing kids from the local schools saying they were majoring in PT so where were they? I replied that they got to college....took their first (of many) science or chem class and bolted for an easier field.

People complain about "no good paying jobs"....well, there is some truth to that but I tell you what....get your kids interested in math\science early on and they will have some decent options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
If you paid every teacher....

Grade school......40 to 60 M a year....

Middle school....61 to 80 M a year....

High school....81 to 100 M a year....

Do you know how high your school taxes would be? If you do let me know.....I now pay around 2 M a year at todays teacher pay scale...

This is a free economy and you are free to work somewhere else if you don't like your pay scale.

I read somewhere that 28% of teachers need to be fired because thay can't or don't do the job, but once they get the job it's almost impossible to fire them. And I had a few of those teachers myself.
Maybe that's because you get what you pay for?
I suspect many folks who could be talented teachers are indeed working somewhere else.

Ken

Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#b25-0000

Education for actual teachers, non special ed can range from 40-70 depending on elementary, secondary, post secondary, etc.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Default That article is K-rap... $60K is less than the average in any state

Even if you had a PhD, were the Varsity football coach, AND taught driver's ed you would not start at $60K unless you were in NYC or another top 1% salary district.

Here are some sites for better stats....

California Teacher-Employment Information (this one shows all the states, but one per page)

New York Teacher Salaries 2005-06 (this is just NY)

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#b25-0000

Education for actual teachers, non special ed can range from 40-70 depending on elementary, secondary, post secondary, etc.
Not to start though - and note that the higher pay is of course for post secondary education - not for elementary or secondary teaching.

Ken

Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
The home of Education week and teacher magazine.

Idaho Teacher-Employment Information
Idaho Teacher-Employment Information
Salaries and Incentives
Average teacher salary (2004) $40,111.00
Average beginning teacher salary (2004) $25,908.00

Also salary.com has some figures Elementary School Teacher Salaries Utah, Wa, ID, Montana.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...D03000010.html

Last edited by Miborn; 11-02-2007 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Teaching has never paid enough, even counting the three months summer break that I could afford to be one. Add the low pay to the hassles of school administration, school boards, fundamentalists and inept parents and teaching is really not worth the money.

Besides a shrewd securities hedge fund gambler can make more in a few months than most states entire school budgets for a year so kids study finance instead of teaching.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Interesting article about the national high teacher turnover. I think there are two types of people that become school teachers. The ones that are scared of the real world (If you can't do it, teach it) and looking for a job with a pension and union and lots of time off, and the ones that feel they have a vocation and truly want to make a difference.

I think the latter group are finding that the bureacracy and regulations and BS and low pay that accompanies teaching today makes them disillusioned and quit after a period. The ones that are more interested in the "job for life" and 3 months of summer vacation, etc. are more the ones that tend to stay. So you get a constant merry go round of new teachers, many less than qualified, and teachers sticking it out are doing so for the wrong reasons. (I know there are exceptions to this...this is generally speaking.)

An independent report released yesterday estimates that the high rate of teacher turnover in U.S. school systems costs more than $7 billion a year, with systems including the District and Prince George's and Fairfax counties hardest hit.

The study said that so many teachers leaving the profession creates a self-perpetuating cycle of failure in some school systems, as a lack of experienced mentors and a sink-or-swim environment lead to trouble in the classroom and demoralization. Nationally, about 50 percent of teachers leave their jobs within their first five years, according to a study last year by the National Education Association, a teachers union.

Teacher Turnover Costs Systems Millions, Study Projects - washingtonpost.com

Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Interesting article about the national high teacher turnover. I think there are two types of people that become school teachers. The ones that are scared of the real world (If you can't do it, teach it) and looking for a job with a pension and union and lots of time off, and the ones that feel they have a vocation and truly want to make a difference.

I think the latter group are finding that the bureacracy and regulations and BS and low pay that accompanies teaching today makes them disillusioned and quit after a period. The ones that are more interested in the "job for life" and 3 months of summer vacation, etc. are more the ones that tend to stay. So you get a constant merry go round of new teachers, many less than qualified, and teachers sticking it out are doing so for the wrong reasons. (I know there are exceptions to this...this is generally speaking.)

An independent report released yesterday estimates that the high rate of teacher turnover in U.S. school systems costs more than $7 billion a year, with systems including the District and Prince George's and Fairfax counties hardest hit.

The study said that so many teachers leaving the profession creates a self-perpetuating cycle of failure in some school systems, as a lack of experienced mentors and a sink-or-swim environment lead to trouble in the classroom and demoralization. Nationally, about 50 percent of teachers leave their jobs within their first five years, according to a study last year by the National Education Association, a teachers union.

Teacher Turnover Costs Systems Millions, Study Projects - washingtonpost.com
REALLY great info. I'd be curious how raising salairies a bit would affect the turnover rate (and associated costs). Maybe it would prove more cost effective to spend a bit more up front to retain good teachers than to spend the money over and over again constantly bringing in new ones.

I'd originally intended to teach (first BA was in History) but back at the time I graduated there were NO teaching jobs. Now I work in IT (went back to school and got a second degree) and have thought about teaching but couldn't afford to take the HUGE cut in pay.

Ken

Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think I'll open a metal working shop after I retire and teach anyone that wanders in the door and wants to learn something.

The rest of the time I'll sit in my cave in a college library with an Internet connection and really try to understand the natural and man altered environment. Should keep me going for another 30 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies