Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times

Advertisements

I was reading this article about how teachers have created this "mantra" about not being paid enough, while in truth, school teachers are starting off with $60,000 in pay! STARTING is the key word here. That is not counting their union negotiations, free benefits, tenure (almost impossible to fire them unless they pretty much commit some kind of a crime), and very good retirement benefits.

Check out this article: Entry-Level Jobs That Pay More Than $50k

High School Teachers -- $59,269 entry earnings

While many believe teachers are underpaid, a near-$60,000 entry-level salary makes for solid earnings. To qualify for a teaching career, you'll typically need to earn a teaching degree, in addition to completing your state's teacher certification requirements.

To fill urgent needs, many districts will let you begin your classroom teaching while taking online education classes that lead to accelerated licensing. Openings will be greatest at urban or rural school districts, with subjects like math and science atop the hiring wish list.

--> Now here is my question: can any teachers out there tell me how much the starting pay is? I don't intent to be a teacher, but my cousin wants to be a teacher, so I really want to know if teachers really can starts @ $60k or not.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
They don't make close to that where I live - less than half of that.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Does the article state where these teachers are that make that?

60K in NYC isn't squat but 60K in say Peoria, Ill would be pretty good.

It's all relative.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
--> Now here is my question: can any teachers out there tell me how much the starting pay is? I don't intent to be a teacher, but my cousin wants to be a teacher, so I really want to know if teachers really can starts @ $60k or not.

Thanks!
My cousin is a high school history teacher in San Antonio with 1-2 years of experience and she makes between $40-$45k per year.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Starting teachers in NYC earn less than $35,000 or $40,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
Does the article state where these teachers are that make that?

60K in NYC isn't squat but 60K in say Peoria, Ill would be pretty good.

It's all relative.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:38 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Yeah, I noticed he didn't cite where he got this data from... There are maybe 2 states in the country that start within $10 grand of that....

Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
It doesn't just vary state to state, it varies considerably within a state. Also, some districts have adequate funds, and some scramble just to have textbooks, so that teachers in some districts also provide and pay for out of their own pockets their students' school supplies. There are also school districts that ask teachers to teach more than one subject. Where I live in Northwest Arkansas, I believe I read this past summer that teachers start out at about 32K.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Absolutely true; thanks for providing more detailed info. NYC teachers in public education vs. private as compared to local districts vary widely.

And 32k is probably more like the national figure than 60k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It doesn't just vary state to state, it varies considerably within a state. Also, some districts have adequate funds, and some scramble just to have textbooks, so that teachers in some districts also provide and pay for out of their own pockets their students' school supplies. There are also school districts that ask teachers to teach more than one subject. Where I live in Northwest Arkansas, I believe I read this past summer that teachers start out at about 32K.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
It's articles like that, that cause these dummies with that paper after four years of beer bashes to demand these outragious and unrealistic high starting salaries. Half of them will by fortunate to get half what those salaries state, the other half will be working at Walmart paying off school loans and living with mom and dad for another ten years.

Resteraunt manager as a staring position? Yeah maybe after working 20 years in McDonalds.
Physical therapists? - most phyical therapists making that salary are self employed after spending a lifetime building up a clientele.
The biggest laugh is financialy analysts starting at $83k HAHAHAHA...good luck on that. Most will get lucky starting as an intern for a few bucks over minimum wage.
That whole article is a laugh fest of innaccuracies.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
A good starting salary for teachers would persuade better qualified teachers to enter and remain in the field.

They can still get a nice vacation, but perhaps supplemental education programs can extend into the summer months to justify higher salaries and provide more and better education for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies