Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Besides, conservatives in America expect everybody to stand up proud and straight and pay for their own medical bills without running to the government for help.
Yes, and? What is wrong with this? Why is your healthcare my responsibility to pay for? Its not. Just like its not my responsibility to pay for your food, housing, childcare, etc. YOU are responsible for yourself and family. IF I choose to help you, that is my decision to do so. Forcing me to help you is wrong.

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
What should we do? Anyone please?
Sen. Tom Coburn in a town hall meeting told a woman, who was sobbing over not having enough money to get adequate medical care for her husband, to go ask her neighbors for help.

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
He was healthy when he moved her. I could barely afford living here myself due to high taxes and cost of living. In Europe every citizen is entitled to free health care, no matter if you are rich or poor. You just pay very small amount when you visit (Typically less than $10).

My mom is not young and it is hard for her to learn a new language at that age. Nobody is hiring her at all.
You pay for other people no matter what. We all pay taxes!
And that would be the problem. HERE, we "ALL" don't pay taxes, There are leeches on society who get welfare, section 8, SNAP, and everything else. There are people who won't work, because unemployment or welfare pays more.

UNTIL we get rid of the leeches, and EVERYONE is paying taxes, then we cannot afford universal healthcare.

The richest nation on earth? Have you seen the deficit our government has? They are spending MUCH more than they take in, how can they pay for anything else?

Here's a thought. YOU and your family cover your own healthcare, just like OUR family does.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
Yup. Thats why none of my inlaws are here. We cant afford to sponsor them and the risk would be to high. You cannot come into this country on a Visa without a sponsor making a certain amount of money. If you are their sponsor then you are financially responsible. The thing that always amazed me (ive been considering this issue for over 10 years since I married my wife from the PIs) is how can an illegal mexican in the same situation get on medicaide when they are sick. I think the answer is that your parents have somekind of income from the old country.

I agree with the person who said that if your parents reduce their income below the threshold that they can then qualify.

Go back to the old country and show up at a hospital there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
My guess is if these folks are legally here they have a sponsor who has just been informed (but should have known) that his parents are not supposed to be taking public funds. The sponsor's job is to take care of them. If the OP is their sponsor perhaps he can take out a second mortgage on that new house of his (6500 square feet.) With that much space I'd have thought he'd have had his parents live with him instead of having them pay rent.

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sen. Tom Coburn in a town hall meeting told a woman, who was sobbing over not having enough money to get adequate medical care for her husband, to go ask her neighbors for help.
Sounds like a sensible idea.

796 posts, read 1,162,239 times
MEDICAID

This is what the social worker gave us to be eligable.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Im VERY interested to know: How much does your father weight? Does he smoke? What type of lifestyle did he have before coming to the US?
He is normal weight 175 lbs. Never smoked, No drink.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
MEDICAID

This is what the social worker gave us to be eligable.
According to that they are eligible. $1091.36 is the limit NJ is using.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
According to that they are eligible. $1091.36 is the limit NJ is using.
They do not count my mother (2 people) because she is not disabled or has turned 65
All we asked was medicaid for my dad at least, my mother was fine. They told us NO.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
Ive recieved Financial assistance in Catholic hospitals in the past when I was working poor. Talk to county social services about signing your father up on what is cdalled a medicaide spend down. When I was working poor the evaluated my income and assigned be a deductible based on that income. On two occasions the Catholic hospital I was in picked up the deductible so in the end I paid nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't know where you are in New Jersey or I could help more. I'd start by calling the New Jersey Catholic Conference. That's the statewide organization for the Catholic Church in New Jersey. I don't want to put their phone number in the post, but if you google it, it will show up on the the google page. Their offices are in Trenton. I've also attached a link to their staff emails below. You want to call the man who is the Director for Social Concerns. He isn't going to be able to help you directly, but he should have a pretty good idea who can, or where to find out who can. I used to run non-profit agencies years ago, and Catholic Social Services and their Diocesan Social Concerns Offices were usually very helpful. What you want to do is explain the situation, and see if he can help you get referrals. He may know of advocacy groups both within and outside of the church that help with immigrants, the elderly, the disabled, and with health care for the uninsured. Your family meets all of those criteria. He may also know of health care programs that serve the poor and uninsured. This is a start. Good luck!

New Jersey Catholic Conference Staff

Are your parents in NJ or NY? Your location is listed as NY, but you mentioned NJ in your original post. If your parents are in NY, then look up and call the Social Concerns office for the Diocese of New York. Same routine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies