Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You don't have to be employed to pay taxes. This seems difficult for you to comprehend. Did you know that you don't even have to be employed to earn money? How mind-boggling is that?!?!
Employment taxes alone fund things like social security.

Most other taxes you pay not related to employment, funds the states, not the federal government.

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Some of you are telling me that my parents could buy health care plan - how could they possibly afford that with combined income of $1K? Their monthly rent is $800 + electricity, and barely have any dollars left. Thank God they receive food stamp, otherwise they would eat noodles only and basically starve. Hopefully they do not cut that out either
How come they immigrated here if they couldn't afford to live here?

Who was their sponsor - and why didn't they honor their obligation to support them?

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of...ligations.html

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Oh this gets better. So apparently neither one of these people ever worked here yet get food stamps and want medicaid. Ugh, then people wonder why so many want closed borders.

I feel sorry for the poor but would prefer helping Americans over immigrants.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
We really need a BS Forum on this site. The volume would exceed even this forum.
Minds will wander. The point is her Dad has cancer and may die if not taken care of. I can't imagine that happening here in Toronto...We would not be running around in a panic seeking treatment. You would simply go to the doctor who would check you into a hospital and take care of you........What is so evil about that?

Medicine should not be controlled by private insurance companies who seek profit though selling insurance to people who they HOPE will never need it.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I once had a list of Jesus as Redistributionist verses. There were like six of them. I think I might need to break those out again just to make some heads explode.
You were beaten down though because the USA is not a theocracy -- never was.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
A person's healthcare should never be considered a handout. I don't care where you are from, if we can help in anyway than we should. What happened to compassion.
I have compassion but it gets smaller when it comes to someone who obviously comes here only for freebies. Meanwhile there are Americans without healthcare because we can't help them.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Some of you are telling me that my parents could buy health care plan - how could they possibly afford that with combined income of $1K? Their monthly rent is $800 + electricity, and barely have any dollars left. Thank God they receive food stamp, otherwise they would eat noodles only and basically starve. Hopefully they do not cut that out either
So you are saying your parents were not smart enough to save and plan and now become a drain on the government. Go back were you came from and let your country take care of them.

They took care of you for the first 18 years or so time for you to step up to the plate.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Employment taxes alone fund social security.
The assertion was that his parents do not "contribute to the system," not that they they do not contribute to the social security fund. This is why I took pains to note that you and I and Harrier all are in this same boat in some way or another. We all reap benefits for certain things for which we do not directly pay. Ideally, these people would be making some payments to contribute to SS. Until we get to that point, they are still deserving of something as basic as health care.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
At least the good thing is -- since Canada, all the European nations and Australia are so very generous and provide free health care to all -- there is an easy solution. Get a plane ticket for the uninsured family member who needs free health care, get him to one of the generous countries.

Canada is close and convenient and has a wonderful free socialized health care system.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
The assertion was that his parents do not "contribute to the system," not that they they do not contribute to the social security fund. This is why I took pains to note that you and I and Harrier all are in this same boat in some way or another. We all reap benefits for certain things for which we do not directly pay. Ideally, these people would be making some payments to contribute to SS. Until we get to that point, they are still deserving of something as basic as health care.
Most other taxes one would pay not related to employment would go to the state, not the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies