Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I DID leave, took a job in Oklahoma because I wanted to actually work, being the lazy, government handout dependant libby that I am; and I must be a permanent resident of Australia for 4 years before I can become a citizen. I just have to wait till then. Didn't WANT to have to leave America, but felt I had no choice.
Why - does the mob have a contract out on you?

I can think of few reasons why anyone would feel that they have no choice but to leave the greatest nation on the planet.

I can see perhaps wanting to live in Australia for a variety of reasons, but not feeling that one has to quit being a U.S. citizen.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I think the op lied about that. First it is claimed the father was disabled when he came but then it is stated he had a job so was able to come here.
My dad became disabled before he moved here, but he got diagnosed with cancer recently. He never applied for any health insurance prior to that.

My mom was the main goal person to work and help out, but unfortunately nobody hiries her. My dads got $1K monthly guaranteed before moving to America from Europe.

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Jesus never tried to rule over any government or country. He wasn't writing laws or suggesting absurd tax rates.

If you really want to do what Jesus taught -- how about you and the other liberals open up your own wallets and offer to pay for this man's health care that his own children don't want to give him?
Jesus spoke quite clearly about your obligations to others. He wasn't making suggestions nor did he state these actions were optional. If you wish to be a Randian, then have the balls to follow it through and cease with this charade of pretending that you will all ramp up your charitable giving as we eliminate welfare.

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
If my mom had job, or they could afford buying a plan there wouldn't be any problem.
Who sponsored them? You said they were the last ones that came over -- so I would assume that meant all the rest of the family members came through work visas and then sponsored others and your parents.

Family sponsors agree to provide financial support of their immigrants.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't know how old his parents are or if he has parents. I was under the assumption the dad is over 65 and the mom is not, but the story keeps changing.

"Otherwise, if you’re 65 or older, you can buy into Medicare by paying monthly premiums for Part A hospital insurance. You can also join Part B and pay the same premiums as other people. In both cases, you must be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident (green card holder) who has lived in the United States continuously for at least five years."
According to the OP, the father is 63 and the mother is "almost" 60.

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Uh, no, actually the person to whom I addressed this was not.
Actually you were responding to me..
Quote:
And you know this how?
Quote:
On a somewhat unrelated subject, what would your initial opinion be of employing these parents and other immigrant parents like them, as translators of Biblical passages at high school football games? Would that not be the essence of "win-win" situations?
Thats between the schools and the parents. what the hell would I care?

Quote:
Jesus spoke quite clearly about your obligations to others. He wasn't making suggestions nor did he state these actions were optional. If you wish to be a Randian, then have the balls to follow it through and cease with this charade of pretending that you will all ramp up your charitable giving as we eliminate welfare.
That's to get to heaven -- what Jesus said was never any requirement of living in the USA.

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Jesus never tried to rule over any government or country. He wasn't writing laws or suggesting absurd tax rates.

If you really want to do what Jesus taught -- how about you and the other liberals open up your own wallets and offer to pay for this man's health care that his own children don't want to give him?

Do we really even know what Jesus did or not do. No, we don't. In fact, we have no idea what he taught.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
As much as I love America, the wonderful people, the diversity, the climate, the beauty, the diverse landscape, the shopping opportunity, excellent and diverse food, and almost everything.... It is very very very very sad that we are basically the only western/industrial nation with no national health care *Seriously crying now*

My parents moved from Western Europe few years ago, and my dad was recently diagnosed with bad cancer, and he has high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. and has been under disability. He cannot work at all, and he is 63 years now. My mother does not speak English, and she is willing to work but nobody is hiring her. She goes to school to learn English, but since she is almost 60 years it is difficult for her to learn English especially when you speak other multiple languages and different language at home.

The other day we went to NJ county Board of Social Security Office, and since my father gets payed only $1000 from Europe due to early retirement/disability which is not even enough for the 1 bedroom apartment rent, he did not qualify for any health insurance (medicaid) because he had to make maximum $950 no matter what other expenses. Neither did my mom get any since she is not 65 years old yet Now my dad canceled his important doctor appointments due to no health insurance, and they do not take charity either. He cannot afford going to doctor since it's extremely expensive. They receive food stamp, but we hope it will not be taken away, then they are risk of being without food.

Why is America, the world's wealthiest nation like that? Since they have nobody left in Western Europe and all family and kids are here, they are trying not to move back.

I wish we could help them out, but since medication is expensive and we could barely make it ourselves I don't know what to do. This is depressing. I myself pay very high taxes!
How do you pay very high taxes if you "barely make it ourselves?" Our income tax system is regressive, so if you don't make much money, you probably pay no federal income tax at all. And your property tax depends on the size house you buy, as well as the tax rate of the town you live in. You might consider moving to a cheaper house if property taxes are causing you to have trouble helping relatives in need.

And I am really shaking my head with this situation and your implications that the American taxpayer should be paying for your Dad's VERY EXPENSIVE health insurance (or any immigrant's, for that matter). Did you not say that your Dad moved here from Western Europe a few years ago? That he is disabled, has many health problems, and has never worked (or paid taxes) in this country? That your Mom also can't work (and pay taxes) because she doesn't speak the language and is unskilled? That he and your Mom already get taxpayer-funded food stamps?

Are you SERIOUSLY thinking that an immigrant couple who has no money and no work skills should be able to just move here right before retirement age, and expect American working class people to be taxed to pay for their food, health insurance, English Classes for Speakers of Foreign Languages, and other living expenses? After having paid NOTHING in the American tax system?

When they say America is a "wealthy" nation, they don't mean that working class taxpayers can afford to import poor people with healthy problems from other nations and pay for them to have a high quality of life. They mean Bill Gates has a lot of money.

It is posts like this that really show why Washington's open-door immigration policies have GOT TO STOP. The American working class has been facing declining wages since 1972 and can barely afford to fund food stamps and welfare and health insurance for those who have been here for decades, let alone people like your parents who move here at their time of greatest need, after having paid taxes over their lifetime in some other country.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do we really even know what Jesus did or not do. No, we don't. In fact, we have no idea what he taught.
I know one thing -- cometclear is NOT one of the apostles because what he's saying is very very different than what the real apostles wrote that Jesus said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies