Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Now you are saying that you don't have money to buy your FATHER a flight ticket, so he could get treatment???
I thought about it since my last post, and I hate to say it -I really do- but that bit of the OPs story hangs together. Although it requires some reather epic bad life choices from his parents.

Norway requires you to give up citizenship if you "seek another". If his dad became a US citizen two years ago, he'd have lost his Norwegian citizenship and all rights that come with it at the same time. If all the family is in America, he has no better chance at treatment in Norway, or emigrating there, than any other non-EU citizen.

He'd also have lost most of his money.

If hes disabled, then his payouts are not a pension. A pension is earned while you work, and he'd keep getting that regardless of citizenship. He may not have been aware of that! If the 1k /month is an insurance payout from the accident that disabled him, he'd have kept that but it was never intended to be more than a top-up, not a main income.

So before he became an American, they'd have made 39 000 per year, including the 1 k month. Without working or anything. Enough for middle class pretentions in a cheap area. Then they gets citizenship, and -surprise- go down to 12 k/ year.

There have been Norwegians who have found the US system a better match for them, and have changed citizenship successfully. But for a 60 years old disabled guy with no health insurance, who has never worked, has two dependents, most of his income welfare from Norway -not a good choice. And then he seems to have assumed healthcare would be provided like it was in Norway. 10 years of healthcare discussions in all the media, and that came as a complete surprise?

Of course, there are other things about the story that does not hang together. Why did not the OPs mother work in Norway? It would be highly unusual for her to just hang around at home. Why does she not speak english? Most Norwegians speak excellent english, even the ones who have never been to the US for a day. 9 years of english in school, teens and early twenties during beetlemania, 10 years in the US and she speaks no english!? Apparently she studied in Belgium for years, I can't imagine that they did the classes in Norwegian for her.

And the big house and car in the other thread. I doubt the OP will be back here after that.

But that one bit holds up. His dad no longer has any more rights to the Norwegian welfare system.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/europ...o-not-109.html

From his other post listed above, OP claimed his parents immigrated in the 1980s.

I think we have enough proof that this is 100% a troll thread and should be shut down.

Sad that a person is so lonely that he goes around making stories about people getting cancer so he can get some attention.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies