Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
As much as I love America, the wonderful people, the diversity, the climate, the beauty, the diverse landscape, the shopping opportunity, excellent and diverse food, and almost everything.... It is very very very very sad that we are basically the only western/industrial nation with no national health care *Seriously crying now*

My parents moved from Western Europe few years ago, and my dad was recently diagnosed with bad cancer, and he has high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. and has been under disability. He cannot work at all, and he is 63 years now. My mother does not speak English, and she is willing to work but nobody is hiring her. She goes to school to learn English, but since she is almost 60 years it is difficult for her to learn English especially when you speak other multiple languages and different language at home.

The other day we went to NJ county Board of Social Security Office, and since my father gets payed only $1000 from Europe due to early retirement/disability which is not even enough for the 1 bedroom apartment rent, he did not qualify for any health insurance (medicaid) because he had to make maximum $950 no matter what other expenses. Neither did my mom get any since she is not 65 years old yet Now my dad canceled his important doctor appointments due to no health insurance, and they do not take charity either. He cannot afford going to doctor since it's extremely expensive. They receive food stamp, but we hope it will not be taken away, then they are risk of being without food.

Why is America, the world's wealthiest nation like that? Since they have nobody left in Western Europe and all family and kids are here, they are trying not to move back.

I wish we could help them out, but since medication is expensive and we could barely make it ourselves I don't know what to do. This is depressing. I myself pay very high taxes!
Why did he move here knowing he had cancer? It was likely he's had it for years now, cancer just doesn't pop up overnight. He needs to move back to wherever he came from, unless you want to sell that million dollar home you claim that you own? If you can afford a 6000 square foot house like that in New York, I don't see how you can't afford his medical expenses? Sorry, but I think you're lying to us either about the cancer, or how "wealthy" you are, or both

Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
What should we do? Anyone please?
I don't know where you are in New Jersey or I could help more. I'd start by calling the New Jersey Catholic Conference. That's the statewide organization for the Catholic Church in New Jersey. I don't want to put their phone number in the post, but if you google it, it will show up on the the google page. Their offices are in Trenton. I've also attached a link to their staff emails below. You want to call the man who is the Director for Social Concerns. He isn't going to be able to help you directly, but he should have a pretty good idea who can, or where to find out who can. I used to run non-profit agencies years ago, and Catholic Social Services and their Diocesan Social Concerns Offices were usually very helpful. What you want to do is explain the situation, and see if he can help you get referrals. He may know of advocacy groups both within and outside of the church that help with immigrants, the elderly, the disabled, and with health care for the uninsured. Your family meets all of those criteria. He may also know of health care programs that serve the poor and uninsured. This is a start. Good luck!

New Jersey Catholic Conference Staff

Are your parents in NJ or NY? Your location is listed as NY, but you mentioned NJ in your original post. If your parents are in NY, then look up and call the Social Concerns office for the Diocese of New York. Same routine...

Last edited by mb1547; 05-10-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
He was healthy when he moved her. I could barely afford living here myself due to high taxes and cost of living. In Europe every citizen is entitled to free health care, no matter if you are rich or poor. You just pay very small amount when you visit (Typically less than $10).

My mom is not young and it is hard for her to learn a new language at that age. Nobody is hiring her at all.
You pay for other people no matter what. We all pay taxes!
If it's so great there, than why did they move here or why don't they move back?

Many of those countries do not have the migration of immigrants legal and illegal who need "free" healthcare to the magnitude we have in the U.S.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Such compassion from some of you! 50 million Americans are also without insurance and face the same plight as the OP's father. America is a disposable nation and that includes the uninsured! So much for the greatness nation on Earth BS!
Glad you noticed.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Gee-wiz, if Europe is so bitchin', why did he leave?

You:

I wish we could help them out, but since medication is expensive and we could barely make it ourselves I don't know what to do.

Also you:

As much as I love America, the wonderful people, the diversity, the climate, the beauty, the diverse landscape, the shopping opportunity, excellent and diverse food, and almost everything....

I myself pay very high taxes!

Hmmm...and you say you can't afford to help?
Yep - me thinks that he should cut down on the "excellent and diverse" food.

I bet that dinner costs a pretty penny at his home.

Time to stock up on ramen noodles, baked beans, and peanut butter.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's a conservative myth that government health care is inefficient and private health care is efficient. It is in fact just the opposite. The over-head for Medicare is about 3 %. The over-head for private health insurance companies is about 27 %. About one-third of the health care costs Americans pay, and we pay more than anywhere else in the world, is over-head.
Great post!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I don't see you paying the OP's father's medical bills.
You can see the separation between political parties by identifying the dummkopfs. You get the award for the nonsense post of the day.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Really getting your eyes opened aren't you?

Take heart young one, these on here do not represent the true Americans who welcomed all comers with open arms from places that were rife with oppression and strife who arrived with nothing but the shirts on their backs. They also welcomed thousands of those who had never even heard of health insurance.

There will be a resolution and hopefully it will come in the form of OTHER Americans who will take up the gauntlet and help to maneuver you through this quandary in an affordable manner.
Have you noticed the difference between the political parties? This OP brought them out loud and clear.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You can see the separation between political parties by identifying the dummkopfs. You get the award for the nonsense post of the day.
Actually the nonsense post of the day is the OP's first post in this thread.

Did you see the size of that house?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

OH SO WRONG!

I GET Government healthcare from the VA for the injuries I recieved on active duty.

It SUCKS!

When (As has happened several times) it's been SO bad I've paid out of pocket... care has been MUCH better.
If the way veterans are treated is any indication of what's going on in the V.A., I can see why. You Republicans weep when you see the military, but when it comes to honoring those who served, you start whining. You'd rather give the money to the already-rich rather than those who served this country. So puhleez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies