Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

If it goes back to $70 (GLD) then I'm in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM

233 posts, read 238,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Like virtually everything right wing conservatives spew it was nonsense. Their positions almost always don't stand up to reality.
Not nonsense. The federal government does not like gold because unlike dollars that can be printed out of thin air, not even the government can make gold. The problem that you seem to forget is inflation. Now I understand that the reports of inflation show little of it. I also understand that how the government measures inflation in the market place is flawed. Inflation is measured by price increases. Most consumer products have not gone up in price, but instead most companies have made the option to shrink their products! That is not measured in inflation.

The national debt coupled with the fed printing more money to pay the debt will lead to the dollar devalued. Those who have invested in gold will be safe.

Understand that when the dollars are printed and trillions of dollars are injected into the economy, it devalues our money...it devalues what the dollar stands for.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If it goes back to $70 (GLD) then I'm in.
If it gets that low, I'm going to gild everything I own, including my dog.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Gold doesn't have a political agenda.
No, but a LOT of GOLD BUYERS do.

Ken

Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's looking more and more like gold's glory days are behind it - with gold prices on an apparent downward trajectory, it's now given up all the gains it made since Dec of 2010 and many analysts now expect it to end up where it was in the middle of 2009 - in effect, giving up virtually all the gains it made during the Great Recession. As it is, the S&P 500 has now outperformed gold over the last year, last 3 years and last 10 years. Only the 5-year term shows gold with a SLIGHT price gain advantage over the S&P 500 (and that will be gone too if gold drops another 100 points or so).

More to the point however, the US dollar has NOT crashed - the expectation of which was likely THE reason for gold's rise back then to begin with. Now that's becoming more obvious that the US dollar is NOT going to collapse (US economy well into recovery, US deficit on the way down) folks are realizing that there is no real upside to owning gold.

Bad news for gold is good news for the US - and lately gold has been experiencing not much else but bad news.

Ken

I am not an economist and really don't know how the interest rates on the dollar would impact the price of gold.

It seems to me that faith in gold is the result of having no faith in human beings and human societies. They seem to think that gold is some magic machine that is separate from human valuation/manipulation. They seem to foolishly believe that when it all collapses their gold will be worth what they paid for it. LOL.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Gold has doubled in price since 2008.

It could be five times the 2008 price, but since it's only doubled in five years, this proves positively that everything the regime is doing is working just fine.

Historical Gold Price Chart | MacroTrends
Stocks have more than doubled since 2008.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I am not an economist and really don't know how the interest rates on the dollar would impact the price of gold.

It seems to me that faith in gold is the result of having no faith in human beings and human societies. They seem to think that gold is some magic machine that is separate from human valuation/manipulation. They seem to foolishly believe that when it all collapses their gold will be worth what they paid for it. LOL.
My theory is that many believed what they were told by the Wall Street Journal editorial pages, namely, expansionary fiscal policy and loose money from the Fed was going to cause high interest rates, inflation and devaluation of the dollar. Those would have been ripe for gold to sour.

Since this didn't happen, gold investors are reversing their positions.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,251 times
Quote:
No, but a LOT of GOLD BUYERS do.

Ken
What is your point?

Gold is a thousands year old global store of value.

Politicians hate anything that restrains them from putting our children and grandchildren into deep, choking debt.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
It's looking more and more like gold's glory days are behind it - with gold prices on an apparent downward trajectory, it's now given up all the gains it made since Dec of 2010 and many analysts now expect it to end up where it was in the middle of 2009 - in effect, giving up virtually all the gains it made during the Great Recession. As it is, the S&P 500 has now outperformed gold over the last year, last 3 years and last 10 years. Only the 5-year term shows gold with a SLIGHT price gain advantage over the S&P 500 (and that will be gone too if gold drops another 100 points or so).

More to the point however, the US dollar has NOT crashed - the expectation of which was likely THE reason for gold's rise back then to begin with. Now that's becoming more obvious that the US dollar is NOT going to collapse (US economy well into recovery, US deficit on the way down) folks are realizing that there is no real upside to owning gold.

Bad news for gold is good news for the US - and lately gold has been experiencing not much else but bad news.

Ken
Patience, Ken.

I can tell you that I have bought one to two ounces of gold every month for the last 22 years. The returns have beaten the DOW handily, but that is not why I did it.

I sold out of the market at DOW 10,500, as I thought the market was overvalued at that time and locked in profits.

I converted those profits into ag investments.

I still hold all the gold I have ever purchased.

I own farmland in Iowa

I own farmland in Brazil

Beyond 401K funds, I do not have money in the market

I avoided the market crashes of '87, 2000, and 2008. This market "smells" toppy to me. The way to wealth is preservation of capital.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What is your point?

Gold is a thousands year old global store of value.

Politicians hate anything that restrains them from putting our children and grandchildren into deep, choking debt.
My point is - all those 'doom and gloom" types who were constantly pushing gold on this site were wrong to assume the US dollar would tank. The DOLLAR is fine, it's GOLD that's tanking.

It's NEVER a good idea to bet against AMERICA.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies