Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Sandy Hook Be Demolished?
Yes, it's far too negative of a site for children to ever go back to. 3 33.33%
No, it could be repurposed for other uses. 1 11.11%
This country is facing deficits, this doesn't qualify as a reason to rebuild a school. 2 22.22%
Yes it should be rebuilt rather with private or public money. 2 22.22%
Yes it should be rebuilt by only with private money, if the public has to be involved then I don't support it. 1 11.11%
Other, please explain. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times

Advertisements

I've wondered this same question for months honestly; for those who believe in apparitions will see this building as forever haunted while others such as myself see this building as far too sentimental and negative nostalgia for any child to attend it once again. Deaths happen everywhere, but it's just the thought of those little children dying in the building is what makes me sort of sad in a sense and I would never consider sending children back to a building that has had a mass-muder. I know some would be against the govt rebuilding it, but this could be done privately; I wouldn't mind donating a few dollars towards building a secure, beautiful, monumental campus that gives the parents and most importantly the children the sense of security they deserve.

If Fairfield County would like to use the former school for county offices them by all means they should be able to, but to put children back in there would be hell on earth for them. Sure there is more land in the Sandy Hook area that could be used for a school.

Sandy Hook may be demolished-CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/11/us/con...l?c=homepage-t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Sounds like a local issue. Parents, teachers, and admins are the ones who should decide.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
How about just NO period? The school opens up, the kids go back, end of story.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
The poll leaves out some obvious answers such as:

1) No, use it as intended.
2) No, but renovate the two classrooms that had activity.
3) No, but repurpose the two classrooms that had activity.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sounds like a local issue. Parents, teachers, and admins are the ones who should decide.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I also agree.

Just seems odd to send a child back to where 20+ were murdered. I dont think I would. I bet there are lots of families making plans to move.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:40 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,297 times
I was going to say it should be used as it was before the shootings. But then I thought about my mom and step dad. My half brother was killed on a mini bike when he was twelve. It happened maybe a mile from their house. Within a two years they moved to a town twenty miles away. So, I understand parents not wanting to send their children back to this school.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM

500 posts, read 375,927 times
I wouldn't want to decide.

There is a spot where I lost a loved one. For a couple of weeks, I felt a need to visit the site. I think I felt I might find some remnant or even discover he wasn't dead and that some mistake had been made. Now that that spot has been bulldozed and is no more, I also feel a loss. It's almost as if he never existed.

The area is different now and I don't visit or want to.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,990 times
I've read that the cost of rebuilding that school will be 37 million dollars. If this is truly a local issue as some here say, that should be good for a 100 percent property tax increase. Just think of all the good that 37 million can do to truly help or prevent crimes. I'll never understand the feel good mind of a liberal. I thought the World Trade Center should have been built bigger than it was after 9/11. That's how you empower victims and disempowerthose who carry out these acts. You can't run from bad things in life, you face them and become stronger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies