Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
: smack:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau real wages rose 50% for manufacturing workers from 1860-1890. And another 34% from 1891-1914. This was when less than 3% of the workforce was union. It was also before unions had special legal protections and there were no minimum wage laws. Plus, millions of unionized workers were leaving Western Europe for the non-union United States.

How do you explain wages increasing faster without unions or minimum wage laws, than with them?

How do explain migration from union areas to non-union areas and not the other way around (except for a decade or so in Detroit).

Unions can't, so they choose to ignore these facts and make up their own history.
this is a copy and past job, links please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 PM

126 posts, read 152,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Or they want to bypass human workers to adopt the latest technology, like robots, that replaces them. I'm sure it will be easy to program a robot that's anti-union.
This is why Republicans are dangerous, how stupid can these people by? They must already be robots. How can they be so against working people, enough to call them "thugs". They are digging their own graves.

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Are you really ignorant enough to believe that the choice is

union job with benefits at $20 an hour
non union job with no benefits making minimum wage?

I cant take anyone seriously who believes this..
Why not? Have you simply not walked a day of your life in the real work day world before, while looking for a job? I know I have. If never for you, what a sheltered life you've had.

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
According to the U.S. Census Bureau real wages rose 50% for manufacturing workers from 1860-1890. And another 34% from 1891-1914. This was when less than 3% of the workforce was union. It was also before unions had special legal protections and there were no minimum wage laws. Plus, millions of unionized workers were leaving Western Europe for the non-union United States.

How do you explain wages increasing faster without unions than with them?

How do explain migration from union areas to non-union areas and not the other way around (except for a decade or so in Detroit).

Unions can't, so they choose to ignore these facts and make up their own history.
With so FEW members to tend to, they have plenty of time to make up their own history. They haven't got a future, after all. 6% private sector now, 35% 40 years ago, most likely it will drop under 4% within a decade or two looking at the trend line..long-term.

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It`s a shame to see so much contempt for the American worker.Some folks might find their ideal country to be Bangladesh.
I agree. I'm amazed at the number of folks who have contempt for their fellow americans not to want them to have a choice...

Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
I agree. I'm amazed at the number of folks who have contempt for their fellow americans not to want them to have a choice...
In the same manner Stalin gave his folks no choice.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Walmart?
7.75 an hour working someone elses job while also doing yours (even though the boss tells you to do both) and then firing you because they purposefully violated labor laws by not giving you a break or lunch and then their justification being that you knew the law, even though they told you they would fire you if you took a lunch because "we have been to busy today".

yep, Wal Mart.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:54 PM

126 posts, read 152,291 times
Quote:

As bad as you say unions are, they are on our side, they fight for the average worker and they fight hard.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanBklyn View Post
I find it amazing they cry about union dues, I have never heard a union member complain about this. It is worth it and I am glad each worker gets a chance to speak at monthly union meetings which include top brass, speaking as a union member myself.
Yup.It was the best $40 I spent every month and retiring at age 54 was pretty cool too.The company I worked for did very well with their union labor.Well enough to be spending over a billion dollars on a new rolling mill.Being built with union labor and to be operated with union labor.
ATI chooses firm to supply rolling mill in Brackenridge

Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why not? Have you simply not walked a day of your life in the real work day world before, while looking for a job? I know I have. If never for you, what a sheltered life you've had.
Sure I have, not once have I had choices you are prescribing.. If thats your life then god it must suck to not be able to find anything more than minimum wage without a union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies