Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Unions went from 35 to 6% with millions of their members taking trips to the unemployment office, with Michigan leading the nation in unemployment for most of a decade.
Vast fail there. I don't live in Michigan and don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, try making your points in China, where people may not typically make as much as $1 an hour.
We dont live in China, so your reply is garbage like the rest of them.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Vast fail there. I don't live in Michigan and don't want to.
But you thought it was ok to bring up China for some stupid reason..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why exacly am I supposed to care that unions have expenses that they choose to have? Homes also have expenses and unions dont mind taking money from them either, do they?
OK, then please don't be dumb enough to look for a job in a unionized workplace, since you couldn't care less about labor unions.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What the hell makes you think that people have to accept minimum pay instead of a unionized job paying $20 an hour?

I've never once heard of a lawyer making minimum pay because they arent in a union for example. Is the choice always minimum wage or union to you? Thats pathetic..
I noticed you didn't bother answering my question. So is it yes or no? Or pass on it?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
OK, then please don't be dumb enough to look for a job in a unionized workplace, since you couldn't care less about labor unions.
Self employed, wont be looking for a job at either, see thats another option I have.. Sucks to not have any, I feel sorry for you.

When I did look for a job, I looked for a JOB, not a union..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I noticed you didn't bother answering my question. So is it yes or no? Or pass on it?
What question was that? The make believe one where you think people have a choice between $20 an hour or minimum wage? I've never once met someone who fell into that category. Jobs have salary ranges by INDUSTRY, not by union vs non union

Care to find me an example of a job where the union pays $20 an hour but the non unionized employee doing the same work makes minimum wage? When you find me a REAL example, I'll answer your dumb make believe question.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Republicans don't want to kill unions. They want to give workers and employers more choice. Democrats seek to deny employers and employees rights.

If unions were so beneficial they would have no problems with what Wisconsin and Michigan did.
You obviously mean the choice as well as right for workers to freeload off the union until the point is reached in which the union no longer has the money needed to contest the boss whenever he chooses to run over the terms of the labor contract. So this right to work thing is really not at all about worker rights. Far, far from it. Instead, it's about giving the boss better ability to bust the damned union and throw it out. Anybody, who can't see right to work for what it really is just isn't too bright.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
I am largely behind private unions, although I see a very large Mob influence in the real world. Here in NH, there were large construction contracts awarded for improvements at Hampton Beach--but NOT A SINGLE NH WORKER WAS ALLOWED TO WORK ON THEM (and there are plenty of local people that needed that work). The contracts were awarded to Massachusetts companies with (Mob) unions, so the dollars paid by NH taxpayers went exclusively to benefit non-NH workers. That is just WRONG.

As to Government workers, it is a perversion of the idea of a union: instead of workers and owners/shareholders negotiating over an equitable split of profits, two government employees are "negotiating" to maximize pay and benefits, with the resulting bill sent to the lowly taxpayer who has no choice but to pay. This is the reason government workers are now paid FAR more than comparable private sector employees, get FAR more generous benefits, and work less hours. At the local and state level we are seeing a growing "new aristocracy" of government workers and retirees, supported by a working class that has been losing ground steadily since 1972.

Here in Exeter NH, a perusal of the budget shows police and firemen (and retirees from those professions) constituting a very large portion of the budget--a budget so spendthrift that a standard colonial with under 1 acre of land will cost over $10,000 a year in property taxes. I can only think back to when I was growing up in this same area, when firefighting was a volunteer job, and local police only needed (at most) 1 cop to fill out reports for property thefts and vandalism.

Fast forward thirty years and suddenly (with far fewer fires due to technological improvements and better safety awareness) we have a crew of very highly paid firefighters who work 2 days a week and retire with fat pensions after 20 years, and up to 15 local police who spend the vast majority of their time handing out ridiculously expensive speeding tickets to people going to and from work, even when no unsafe driving was involved. In other words, our property taxes skyrocketed to a level that was a burden on every citizen and a major drawback when trying to sell our homes, and all we got for it was a much higher likelihood of falling victim to the government-sanctioned highway robbers.

As to schools, teachers unions have made sure that "education majors" get jobs instead of second-career professionals who not only have an excellent grasp of math and the sciences, but also can show students how necessary these skills and information are in later life. They have also ensured that teachers are paid full time for a part-time job--even when ignoring summers off and semester breaks (154 days per year vs. 228 for private sector workers), teachers work less hours per week than other professions. Teachers Work Fewer Hours than Other Professionals (And We’re Not Counting Summer Vacations) | StateImpact Ohio Any attempts to make schools year-round so that U.S. students will be competitive with students of other nations in a global economy will be fought tooth and nail by teacher's unions, who also would demand increased pay for any "additional" hours worked (ignoring the fact that private sector salaried workers don't get paid a dime extra, even when they are required to work 60+ hours a week).

Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Self employed, wont be looking for a job at either, see thats another option I have.. Sucks to not have any, I feel sorry for you.

When I did look for a job, I looked for a JOB, not a union..
LMAO...C-D, where EVERYONE is self employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies