Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

It ight just be that Unions are anti-republican. Seriously it goes back to FDR and the special interest he brought together who control Democratic politics by controlling the platfrom. Unions and trial lawyers are at top of the list.If you watched the helthcare commiteee you'd understand who got everything they wanted from Democrats and anything aginst them to pay anyhting was defeated often not allowed a vote.Now we eve see exemption by thousdands given on mandates in the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Anti Union or anti Union extremism? Its a well known fact that Unions protect the least productive worker as aggressively as they do their most productive members. The teachers Unions are notorious for this. The Chrysler workers who were caught drinking and smoking pot while at work???
Who hasn't worked somewhere, unionized, or not, in which the management was too slow to fire deadbeats, if they ever did?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:55 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I've worked with unions as well (suppliers, ex employers, colleagues in mgmt). They couldn't match the plan we offer nationally at dozens of facilities. 18 years ago, when I was making far less, I put more into my 401K in 1995 than I pay annually in medical premiums, out of pocket costs, etc in 2013.

My ex employer charged employees in union bargaining units more, for a policy that wasn't as good, as what they offered in their non-union plants.
You've often bragged about the $10-$12/hr your plant employees earn, while discussing how temp services help undermine the value of your skilled staff. I'm sure they'd be running to a nearby union competitor if they had the option. As your graph displays, you've run them all out of business already. You believe red states offer the freedom to choose not to belong to a union. The truth is, most of those workers don't have the option to join because it's no longer possible to pay a prevailing wage for the masses in America. Corporate profits are indeed up, while family incomes are falling like a rock. Step in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, I don't think you can be forced to work overtime. I am of course not sure, I am not an attorney, but I remember somewhere reading that you cannot be forced to work overtime.
Think they can't fire you for refusing OT? They simply find some other reason. Many non union plants hire and fire until they find the guy willing to work 60-80 hours a week doing menial, low paying work. Even if you didn't want to work the OT, you would probably need it to afford COL.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
I still can't believe people will support unions.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:

Unions went from 35 to 6% with millions of their members taking trips to the unemployment office, with Michigan leading the nation in unemployment for most of a decade.
Michigan's economy was centered around the automobile industry. People weren't buying cars, and that also meant many of the workers working for non union auto suppliers also took trips to the unemployment line. That also included many non union workers in a wide variety of industries. Michigan's economy was an example of why it's never good to put all your eggs in one basket, especially something that can be considered a discretionary expense in many locations. Consumer spending is simply too volatile, especially when repukes are attacking living wages every waking moment. Things have turned around since then, and many of those union autoworkers are now working full time and plenty of OT to boot.

This is largely why folks are running away from the republican party these days. The coolaid is spiked and neocons are too dense to realize it.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
My last 2 corps have also treated employees very well, with one covering >90% of medical insurance costs, with a low out of pocket max, and both providing bonuses most years to the vast majority of professional employees..even staff level ones.

You were talking about an anomaly of some sort. What was that about?
Uh huh...yeah. Conservative C-D posters always live in perfect worlds where everything is just peachy. Meanwhile the rest of America is barely hanging on to what they have.

Save it.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I still can't believe people will support unions.
Why not strongly support unions if that's the only way you know of to find better pay and benefits? Tell me something, why would you be so incredibly wrong and foolish as to turn down a unionized job if the pay and benefits were better, especially if you have a family to support?

Old 05-12-2013, 04:31 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'll do that if you'll admit that your situation is an anomaly and a big time anomaly at that.
I cannot admit it's an anomaly, because if there is at least 1 company per every 2 states that treats it's employees the way Mine treats employees, that's at least 25 employers. Statistically, there would have to be more than that even, I am just using minimal figures.

That would include

About Toyota | Careers

Why Facebook, The ‘Best Company’ To Work For, Doesn’t Need A Union | TechCrunch

in fact here is a list of best employers, I am sure that at least 10 of them have no unions.

Best Places to Work | Glassdoor

Another list, I amsure there are a few here that also don't have a union.

Top Workplaces 2012 | www.statesman.com

You see, While I don't personally know of 10 companies, the fact is, that with as MANY employers in the U.S. as there are, statistically, there has to be a number of them that treat employees well.

Besides, in your previous post, you basically called me a liar when you said,

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post29524500

Quote:
Nonsense. Again, not believable.

If companies COMMONLY take care of their employees the way you were taken care of, name me 10 other companies where the same exact scenario would've played out the way it happened to you...3 months of 100% pay and Rolls-Royce insurance, retirement, 401...etc.

It's amazing...in the rest of America, they've watched their pay and benefits plummet in recent years, especially with the recession.

But on C-D, everyone has it so great. Hell, another poster claimed to work for a company that pays far above industry standards with all the same Cadillac benefits you claim to have.

Why don't you people name these corporations? I think I work for a damn good company myself, but there's no way in hell that I can make the claims that some of you are making without stretching credulity to fantastic lengths.
I sent you a direct message NAMING my employer, just as YOU asked.

Some of the benefits, right from the website job listing from my employer,

- YourWealth: 401K plan and pension plan
- YourHealth: medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, long-term disability and flexible healthcare spending accounts
- YourLiving: short-term disability, personal leave, adoption assistance and long-term care insurance
- YourCareer: mentoring and training opportunities

So, while I cannot personally name 10 employers that provide the same bennies that MY employer provides, I am sure they can be found in the lists I provided above, without without stretching credulity to fantastic lengths.

Last edited by Darkatt; 05-12-2013 at 04:39 AM..

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 AM

124 posts, read 145,153 times
Seems pretty clear why Republicans do not like unions. Republicans are all about supporting multi-national corporations whose sole goal is to maximize profits by all means. Cheap labor makes that easy. A weak middle class limits the political power against Republicans. We hear over and over from the right that it's about freedom but whose freedom are they most concerned about the individuals or the corporations? Obviously corporations who line the politicians pockets.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
I am not anti-union, but pro-common sense and government efficiency.

Why do Democrats support Unions doing the following?

#1 Many unions do not allow private ballots when they vote to recertify or for other major issues. This is anti-democratic and this is only so people are intimidated into voting the way the union wants.

#2 Many public unions own their own health insurance providers. They then get it worked into the contract that the government can only negotiate with their provider. They then charge above fair market value sometimes by as high as 40%. When this happens at schools, it means less money for teachers, new books, more technology, fixing leaky roofs, ending pay to play sports, etc... Some schools lose several hundred thousand dollars a year in being over charging. Perhaps this is why FDR was fearful of public unions.

#3 Look at the NYC public unions protecting the lazy teachers that are accused of an infraction paying them to sit in a room sometimes for years just surfing the web.

#4 Having anti-common sense policies that force businesses/governments to be more inefficient. Thus risking their very own existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies