Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times

Advertisements

Unions could have a purpose in America, but they are too greedy. If unions were more like the unions in Scandinavia, then unions could benefit, but greedy unions will just destroy their own jobs. Union workers love to pretend Reagan destroyed unions, but private sector union participation dropped from 1950 not in 1981. That is because union workers were destroying their own jobs.

Unions simply don't seem to get it. They are all pissed off that their jobs get outsourced, but they still demand high salaries. That is not compatible, because if America only bought American product living standards would drop quite a lot, but they want their own living standards to increase. It is quite clear that union workers want themselves to be richer at the expense of everyone else. Why should we respect an organization like that? And why should an organization like that be able to force all workers of the company to pay the union.

Unions have almost died in the private sector due to their businesses getting outsourced, or destroyed. So they found a new host. A host that can not be destroyed, the government. That is even more despicable. These workers expect average Americans to pay higher taxes so they can enjoy high wages. They expect Americans should be perfectly happy with paying useless workers who should have been fired.

BTW: Wall Street is not an answer to my post. I am not in favor of any waste of money and that includes political donations to rich people and greedy public sector unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
Here is what I can gather (I am not Republican...or a Democrat, as I still have a brain). It is not the actual private unions that are the issue. It IS the public sector unions. If the union of supermarket "A" wants to raise wages and therefore raise prices they better understand that markets "B" and "C" in the area will take advantage of the situation. There are checks and balances...also called the free market
Very true, the checks and balances are self-correcting as the bankrupt D3 and Hostess employees discovered. The D3 via massively reduced ranks and Tier II; Hostess employees via a lot more free time.

Thank God for self-correcting systems.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's what you think.
What do you think? You think a fry cook can just step in a network admin spot and wing it??

Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Of course anyone can do that but don't blame the boss if he fires you because of your attitude lol There's a whole lot of people out there just waiting to do your job. You can talk to the boss all you want but he has no loyalty to you, he'll just go to the next guy if he wants.

Agreed, my boss has no loyalty to me and I have none to him.

Fired for attitude... LOL do you live in the modern corporate America enviroment that is scared ****less for a lawsuit.

Sometimes it is almost hard to get fired from a job. Usually its a 3-4 step process of you violating policies that is documented along the way, and Union or not, you could still get fired over it.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
The best paying jobs I've had were non union. The worst paying job i ever had was a union job. I believe Unions are needed in wage contracts and benefits. In some companies they are needed to protect workers rights. But their coming around everyday DEMANDING you vote for their anti-American immoral supporting dimwit democrat should be outlawed. And the union clowns that do this jailed. I've been told you support our dimwit or lose your job. It had nothing to do with my job skills or ability. Like I told gettlefinger when he was head of uaw, and in our plant that was being shut down thanks to the union being stupid, "Shut up with your dimwit democratic party B*&^sh!+. You are doing nothing but lying to membership people and are robbing us, the membership. Too bad i am forced to be a member to have a job here." I got a standing ovation. There were people that would do nothing and the union kept them on the payroll with crooked deals with the company. But if you wasn't going to their democratic party nonsense, you could forget any representation if an issue came up. The Gov. service sector unions are even worst. They (gov. unions)should be outlawed completely because all they are doing is wasting taxpayer money and pushing a communist agenda. Don't believe me? Look up Steve Learner and his world communist party membership.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 AM

469 posts, read 913,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Unions are nothing more than legalized cartels designed to keep people out of work and lower wages.
Not sure how they lower wages...but they are legalized cartels and they keep people out of work. Ive worked in a Union shop and the labor expenses is what kills jobs. The company hires less people or outsources. Shop I was in paid $34 an hour for a $20 hour job. This was uncertified, unskilled work. Average person with moderate training could do the job. Wages was only part of it. The company paid benefits, retirement contributions were a burden as well.

Its nice if you are one of the few on the recieving end, but overall they hurt workers and the nation as a whole.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's what you think.
Sorry, that's what I know. Tell me, do YOU use a computer? If you needed help setting up a router with wpa2 security for the first time, or removing a virus, would you take it to someone who has 1 month experience to include 1 week of training, or someone with years of documented experience and a number of positive recommendations? I mean hey, ANYONE can start a Dell computer, pressing ctrl/f11 on the ones with restore partitions, and wipe/reload your os, and hand you back a perfectly working computer and tell you it was YOUR job to back it up including all your tax forms and legal emails. (LOL, I heard that one last year, when a friend of mine told me his wife's attorney took his computer to a computer place and that's exactly what happened, cause he was trying to save a few dollars and not hire a professional).

It's your choice though. There are some jobs, where unions are just not necessary. I am lucky enough to have seen the light back in the 70's and follow the right path.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
Because its part of the republican partys corporate agenda.

Unions decrease corporate profits so republicans are against them.

Republicans are also against high min wage laws (because they decrease corporate profits.)
Republicans are against class action lawsuits (because they allow regular Americans to sue large corporations in federal court.)
ex.ex.

To show their corporate agenda,
Republicans are (for) supply side tax cuts (tax cuts for large corporations.)
Republicans want 0% tax rates on dividends (so corporate CEO's have 0% federal tax rates.)
Republicans want corporate deregulation (to increase corporate profits.)
Republicans want to abolish the EPA and FDA (so they can no longer regulate large corporations.)
ex.ex.

To show my point further,
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

The only thing republicans do that does not help large corporations is to be against abortion.
(they are against abortion to attract Christians to their corporate agenda.)

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
A racket indeed, Sort of like how many Business's and Banking Institutions buy politicians to rig the market rules in their favor because they would not be able to survive on their own.

I have a hard time getting mad at any Unions, when there are more corrupt and bigger fish to fry.
How much do Unions give to politicians vs Non Union places?

Lobbying Spending Database | OpenSecrets

Lobbying Spending Database Labor, 2013 | OpenSecrets

Health $122,930,583
Finance/Insur/RealEst $119,083,313
Misc Business $114,094,643
Communic/Electronics $98,340,864
Energy/Nat Resource $90,910,485
Transportation $57,018,856
Other $50,321,868
Agribusiness $34,857,669
Defense $33,131,079
Ideology/Single-Issue $30,507,662
Construction $11,957,919
Labor $10,609,692
Lawyers & Lobbyists $5,067,312

At the supplied link, unions spent 10 million for 2013 which is very small compared to the rest of the cockroaches in the list.

Sure, I am not in disagreement with you there.

But I'd rather fix the issue at the fundamental level than fighting corruption with corruption.

Make the market free and hold everybody accountable for their actions....

Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
Unions no longer serve the purpose they once did.

And my experience working on jobs with Union guys...... they are prone to laziness. They know it's hard to fire them. In fact, there was an incident where a Union employee was fired for signing off on a security walk through he never conducted. He admitted to it but argued other people do it too. A few months later, he gets his job back WITH BACK PAY!!!!! Unreal....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies