Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have universal health care system in the United States?
Yes, of course! 153 63.22%
No 89 36.78%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We have that now with the current system. No pay no play.
Good, that is called "life". Nurses don't work for free, doctors don't work for free, medical supplies aren't free, etc., etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Good, that is called "life". Nurses don't work for free, doctors don't work for free, medical supplies aren't free, etc., etc., etc.
Sure, let the poor die.
Greatest country in the world, my A$$.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So we can't afford universal health care, that costs half of what we pay now? Does anyone think that makes any sense?
tell that to the illegal who has been getting health care for free for decades and now must pay.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
So what? I never said anything is free. I said if we were to ever develop a universal plan everybody would have to pay into it. You came along and basically said it needs to be exactly what we have now.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Well, for one, it is a big LIE. Universal health care will bankrupt us. Demand will become infinite, and the slackers will come out of the wood-work. Try to be truthfull next time.
Has universal health care bankrupted France, Canada or any other nation? No. So there is nothing but ideology to think that it will here.

Try to think of facts next time.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Sure, let the poor die.
Greatest country in the world, my A$$.
It's great if you make over $400K or are expecting to, but not for people making less.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Has universal health care bankrupted France, Canada or any other nation? No. So there is nothing but ideology to think that it will here.

Try to think of facts next time.
You cannot even pay for medicare. What makes you think you can pay for anything else.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
It's great if you make over $400K or are expecting to, but not for people making less.
I know. I used to live there.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
So what? I never said anything is free. I said if we were to ever develop a universal plan everybody would have to pay into it. You came along and basically said it needs to be exactly what we have now.
Well, nolt exactly

What we have now is a huge mistake, and we owe it to FDR who implemented wage-freezes for defense workers in WWII. Companies wanting to attract workers offered health-care as a non-wage enticement.

Once that happened, the vehicle of Insurance, that SHOULD be used only to cover "catastrophic" loses, is used to fun routine costs. For example, in car insurance you don't have your insurance company pay for your oild change. If you did, it would cost $200 or so, and you, the consumer wouldn't care because you aren't paying the bill.

I propose cash and carry or Kaiser-style medical coverage where you pay a fee and get healthcare. Insurance could exist, but only for catastrophic needs - like cancer etc.

You would find that market forces would push down the cost of health-care dramatically as people, with their own cash at the bar, would shop around for the best deal according to their needs and desires.

It's just like the cost of Higher Education. It is exorbidant now. Why? Because their is so much money funneled into financing it, and costs go up to absorb the add'l funding. Market economics 101.

Work will expand to fill available time, traffic will expand to fill available lanes, and costs will increase to absorb available funding - unless you use your OWN money.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
It is to me, and would be to the Founders. I'll take their counsel over yours anyday. BTW, an AR-15 is semi-auto.

"Need" has nothing to do with it, BTW. It isn't the Bill of Needs.
The Founders were talking about muskets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies