Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm sorry, but to those saying that employers will not abuse this are living in fantasy land.
If they do it will only be because those in charge of regulations allow it. Now granted we have seen over and over cases where those in charge of regulations have decided to not enforce those regulations but that isn't a reason to allow those of us that would rather have comp time have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:36 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having worked at places that did both, I think comp time is great if you get a chance to take it. This one place I worked was always short, someone was always sick or having a baby, and the answer to comp time requests was always, "We need you". At least with overtime, you get something for your time, right away.
This right here is what people fear. I too was in that same position, I ended up quitting with over a month of comp time banked. Do you think I got paid for it? Of course not! Because it was my fault that I didn't take it!

Yes, it's good for business. But the reality is that it's going to screw over the average worker.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
This right here is what people fear. I too was in that same position, I ended up quitting with over a month of comp time banked. Do you think I got paid for it? Of course not!

Yes, it's good for business. But the reality is that it's going to screw over the average worker.
From the bill:

An employee may also request in writing that monetary compensation be provided, at any time, for all compensatory time accrued that has not yet been used. Within 30 days of receiving the written request, the employer shall provide the employee the monetary compensation due in accordance with paragraph (6).

and

An employee who has accrued compensatory time off authorized to be provided under paragraph (1) shall, upon the voluntary or involuntary termination of employment, be paid for the unused compensatory time in accordance with paragraph (6).

Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the bill:

An employee may also request in writing that monetary compensation be provided, at any time, for all compensatory time accrued that has not yet been used. Within 30 days of receiving the written request, the employer shall provide the employee the monetary compensation due in accordance with paragraph (6).

and

An employee who has accrued compensatory time off authorized to be provided under paragraph (1) shall, upon the voluntary or involuntary termination of employment, be paid for the unused compensatory time in accordance with paragraph (6).
Yes, when you leave you must be paid for the time. However, it is not so easy to get it if you do not terminate. I know, I work for the state. I have worked well over 200 hours of overtime in the last year and have not (and can not) be paid for one red cent of it. If I left (voluntarily or non-voluntarily) yes I would be paid. In the here and now though, I have no ability to receive compensation for those hours.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Yes, when you leave you must be paid for the time. However, it is not so easy to get it if you do not terminate. I know, I work for the state. I have worked well over 200 hours of overtime in the last year and have not (and can not) be paid for one red cent of it. If I left (voluntarily or non-voluntarily) yes I would be paid. In the here and now though, I have no ability to receive compensation for those hours.
Then wouldn't you be for this bill since is has that 30 day notice part ?
This bill would actually help you get your money.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Again your argument boils down to the idea that we can not allow this because of government incompetence.

Where I work supervision is allowed comp time (even though they are still paid by the hour) but regular employee's are not. They simply put the code into their time sheet on the computer as to which one they want and it's simply done.

I want the same option. I can carry over vacation hours into the next year if they don't get used. I can cash out X amount of vacation hours at the end of the year.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Never trust a boss. They just watch out for their own interest which are not always your interest.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:52 AM

709 posts, read 656,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...insulting me won't make those lies you told any more truthful.
Here are some links to comparable corporations, spread throughout the country:

Benefits | American Transmission Co.

http://www.southerncompany.com/about...s/Benefits.pdf

NextEra Energy, Inc. | Benefits

Exelon Corporation: Compensation & Benefits

Again, you're free to keep your head firmly planted up your own ass. I can't imagine it smells too fresh up there...then again, with all the BS spewing from your mouth, I doubt you can even notice.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:31 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You don't own a business do you? It's pretty clear from your lack of comprehension.
People who own businesses are just greedy and stuff. Without all those protections our slave-drivers would throw acid on their 8 year old workers as they pull 14 hours shifts at the dog poop factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because they won't have to...that's why. They'll abuse this whole comp time thing.

BTW...your last paragraph is a fantasy. Not even close to being believable.
Do you earn more than minimum wage? Does your employer pay you more than the lowest amount they are legally allowed to pay you?

If not, you have partially proven yourself wrong.

I don't earn minimum wage. I work in a relatively unskilled job and I make a little over $40K a year (excluding bonus) before tax and I have other benefits as well. Am I rolling in green? No, but I make more than what my employer has to pay me because people at my skill level or higher will seek a job that pays a better amount.

F--king markets, how do they work?!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Working Families Flexibility Act of 2013, sounds like it is a good thing for families, right?

What the bill would do is end long-standing labor law by allowing private-sector employers to offer compensatory time off in lieu of time-and-a-half pay for overtime. If it became law, there are some workers who would prefer payment and some would prefer comp-time. However, there is nothing to stop an employer from discriminating against those who prefer payment by cutting their overtime entirely. Nor would employers face any penalty if they forced unpaid overtime on workers who fear losing their jobs if they object.

So, instead of paying workers for additional hours, paying comp-time effectively adds to the company's profits as it shifts the liability of the comp-time to the future -- which, according to the bill, can only be used at the employer’s convenience.

How does this help families again? It adds flexibility to employers not families. Fortunately, it won't make it out of the Senate.

It is indeed well named it will let employers twist employees into pretzel shapes thus demonstrating their flexibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies