Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,372,831 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out exactly how this works (I don't work in this type of occupation, so I never deal with it).

I'm going to squeeze it all into two weeks, just for simplicity. So let's say you have a normal 40-hour work week. After 40 hours is considered overtime. You normally work five 8-hour days. You want the second Monday off. You work extra hours in the first week, accruing the equivalent of eight hours.

Now, in the following week, do you get your Monday off, and still only work eight hours a day for the other four days, or do you get Monday off but still have to work the forty hours in the four remaining days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm trying to figure out exactly how this works (I don't work in this type of occupation, so I never deal with it).

I'm going to squeeze it all into two weeks, just for simplicity. So let's say you have a normal 40-hour work week. After 40 hours is considered overtime. You normally work five 8-hour days. You want the second Monday off. You work extra hours in the first week, accruing the equivalent of eight hours.

Now, in the following week, do you get your Monday off, and still only work eight hours a day for the other four days, or do you get Monday off but still have to work the forty hours in the four remaining days?
It's between you and your employer as to how it works out.

A comp day means you get paid for the day off.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's between you and your employer as to how it works out.

A comp day means you get paid for the day off.
That's what I was trying to get at. It kept sounding like people were saying that those overtime hours could lead to a day "off", as in "an unpaid day off". That would not be a deal under any circumstances.

I am okay with this bill solely on the idea, but I see it as ripe for employer abuse. I know far too many employers who would have the employee work tons of overtime hours, then turn around and deny the time off when requested. If I work overtime hours for no money, but only future time off, then it should be my choice when I take that time, within some reason.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
That's what I was trying to get at. It kept sounding like people were saying that those overtime hours could lead to a day "off", as in "an unpaid day off". That would not be a deal under any circumstances.

I am okay with this bill solely on the idea, but I see it as ripe for employer abuse. I know far too many employers who would have the employee work tons of overtime hours, then turn around and deny the time off when requested. If I work overtime hours for no money, but only future time off, then it should be my choice when I take that time, within some reason.
Did you read the bill ?
The agreement has to be made with employer and employee before the work is done.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you read the bill ?
The agreement has to be made with employer and employee before the work is done.
And no employer has ever gone against an agreement. Never happened. Come on...

And yes, the employe could then take them to court and fight or whatever. But many likely wouldn't for fear of losing what job they do have.

Like I said, I think the idea is fine, but I see it as ripe for abuse.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,042,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You don't own a business do you? It's pretty clear from your lack of comprehension.
I agree- I think the American worker has far too many rights as it is. The employer needs more power in today's workplace. Next thing you know, these whiny self entitled workers are going to demand to be treated like human beings!! They'll be spewing out stuff like "fair wages" "benefits" "fair and ethical treatment" "workers rights" etc. Don't they understand that there's a businiess to run, profits to be made?? How DARE they demand to be treated fairly-that kind of attitude has no place in Corporate America!! It should be all about profit and employer rights, and nothing else period

Old 05-12-2013, 04:18 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
I think you are making much of nothing. In the first place, an employer could not require overtime without pay. Period. That is against existing law.

Secondly, I think it's a great idea to be able to offer comp time to those who want it. Some would probably gladly work overtime for extra time off in the future.

Makes sense to me.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
And no employer has ever gone against an agreement. Never happened. Come on...

And yes, the employe could then take them to court and fight or whatever. But many likely wouldn't for fear of losing what job they do have.

Like I said, I think the idea is fine, but I see it as ripe for abuse.
Another example of someone that wants to deny the things others desire because somewhere someone might abuse it.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,163,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Working Families Flexibility Act of 2013, sounds like it is a good thing for families, right?

What the bill would do is end long-standing labor law by allowing private-sector employers to offer compensatory time off in lieu of time-and-a-half pay for overtime. If it became law, there are some workers who would prefer payment and some would prefer comp-time. However, there is nothing to stop an employer from discriminating against those who prefer payment by cutting their overtime entirely. Nor would employers face any penalty if they forced unpaid overtime on workers who fear losing their jobs if they object.

So, instead of paying workers for additional hours, paying comp-time effectively adds to the company's profits as it shifts the liability of the comp-time to the future -- which, according to the bill, can only be used at the employer’s convenience.

How does this help families again? It adds flexibility to employers not families. Fortunately, it won't make it out of the Senate.
Overtime is not protected by law. If I don't want any of my employees working a minute past 40 hours, they certainly won't. As the business owner, that's my prerogative. There's nothing discriminatory about it.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,083,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Kind of like the Affordable Care Act ?
Or "the tax fairness act"?

Government can't solve problems.

Right or left.

The difference is that we conservatives understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies