Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Millions of children who did NOT choose to live in these places are trapped there too. That will also cost us at some point.
"....but, but, think of the childern!"

(sniff, slobber, sniff)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestecon View Post
I have a hard time feeling bad for the Stockton's, San Bernadino's and Detroit's, Camden's of the nation. I don't know why all these extremely irresponsible, poor cities think that generations of poor people having a contest to see who could have the highest birth rate would turn out to be an ideal situation.

Take Stockton, CA for example. They decided to go all out and build brand-new amazing facilities all over their downtown in the last decade. They decided to give public servants six-figure pensions. Meanwhile, the residents were busy having babies they could not afford, working for fly-by night construction companies and driving to welfare offices to fill out applications for goodies.

Detroit is another example. I heard that instead of hiring law enforcement, they decided that new devolopment in a small area around Wayne State University would cause a boom of people rushing to buy property in a city that had 411 homicides last year for 700,000 people.

The city I have lived in the last 3 months also is in the same position. They can afford tax-increment and bond financing packages to create a massive, shiny outdoor mall which is half-vacant in the middle of their downtown but yet the streets are full of potholes, housing structures are falling apart and the local library hasn't been renovated in 45 years.

There are many, many middle-class, enclaves that people can live in and be around appealing people for the same price as these dumpy, enclaves that have bentley taste's on a yugo budget.
Americna cities control and controlled their own destiny. As they still do.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

(sniff, slobber, sniff)
Do you actually disagree that people growing up in these areas are at a distinct disadvantage, and that the lack of opportunity for people who grow up there is going to create a drag on the larger economy for decades to come? This is also a huge problem in rural areas with no opportunity, but we have an easier time ignoring that.

Most people aren't moving. Of those who are, a large majority are moving within the same county. Getting out is a lot easier said than done.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
I have every sympathy for those suffering, but they need to seriously go look at the finances and expose the whole facade.
Unmasking The CAFR Scam In Every City, USA | REALITY BLOG

quote:
So the City Of Detroit is covering up more than $8 billion dollars in CURRENT assets by its creative accounting of future assets due more than a year away that will be paid for by future assets that are creatively not reported in its own audited CAFR. If I was a resident of Detroit, I’d say it was time to hold certain lying councilmen and the mayor accountable to the people.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

(sniff, slobber, sniff)

???

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Do you actually disagree that people growing up in these areas are at a distinct disadvantage, and that the lack of opportunity for people who grow up there is going to create a drag on the larger economy for decades to come? This is also a huge problem in rural areas with no opportunity, but we have an easier time ignoring that.

Most people aren't moving. Of those who are, a large majority are moving within the same county. Getting out is a lot easier said than done.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Failures on the part of any municipality costs us all.

It's not about "feeling sorry" for them. That's not the issue.

Millions of children who did NOT choose to live in these places are trapped there too. That will also cost us at some point.

So if you're just here to heap ridicule on places that you're fortunate enough not to have been trapped in by coincidence of your birth, or you're just here to gloat, please, go kick rocks.

I don't feel sorry for people, but I can find it in my heart to have some sympathy.

Especially since we're spending hundreds of billions to try and make something of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sometimes you get just what you vote for.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
What does that even mean?
the stupid, the ignorant, and the irrational always sick together, and they destroy everything the come into contact with...

Old 05-15-2013, 02:31 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Americna cities control and controlled their own destiny. As they still do.
not really a lot of what they have to jump thru are laws, rules, and regulations at the federal level.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Re Detroit & the graf upthread: Looks like the decline hasnt stopped or is even levelling off.....

Heres a thought. Project the 1900-1904 growth (before the auto industry took off) in a straight line into the future, and that would be Detroits population if there never was an auto industry located there.

That might be where Detroits population should be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies